Rockefeller Center in New York City gets giant tree for holidays The 2015 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Cutting at the home of Albert Asendorf and Nancy Puchalski on Nov. 4, 2015 in Gardiner, NY. Here the tree is loaded onto the flatbed truck to be transported to New York City. (Gabe Palacio/AP Images for Tishman Speyer)
Rockefeller Center in New York City gets giant tree for holidays

A 78-foot Norway spruce from New York's Hudson Valley has been placed in Rockefeller Center.  It will be lit for the Christmas season.

The 10-ton tree was lifted into place Nov. 6. It will be illuminated on Dec. 2.

The tree was cut down from the property of Albert Asendorf and Nancy Puchalski. They live in Gardiner, New York. It was put on a trailer. Then it was taken on an 80-mile trip to midtown Manhattan.

The annual tree-lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Center attracts tens of thousands of viewers. It is watched by millions more on television.

After the holidays, the tree will be milled into lumber for Habitat for Humanity.

Why might the tree need to go up so early?

• charlies-buh
    11/10/2015 - 07:10 p.m.

So the tree came from a persons backyard. I`m guessing they paid the owners to give them the tree. Why can't they just find a mother tree in a forest or something. If I were the owners I would not sell the tree, because of how big it was.

• natalier-4-bar
    11/10/2015 - 08:33 p.m.

The tree might need to go up early because, "The annual tree-lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Center attracts tens of thousands of viewers. It is watched by millions more on television,"(paragraph 4) and everyone is already getting into the Christmas spirit so they put the tree up so early because like the article said millions of people watch and they want to start get people excited so more people watch and it brings more money. Also the tree is seventy-eight feet and it might take a really long time to decorate it and get it to be satisfactory before it is lit on December 1. If you think about that isn't a whole lot of time to put together one of the most iconic Christmas trees. I liked this article but, I thought it could have included more information about the tree-lighting ceremony.

• william1108-yyca
    11/10/2015 - 08:40 p.m.

WOW! I have never seen a tree so big before. I actually have never seen or used a real Christmas tree. I wish that I can have a real tree. Maybe this Christmas I will get a real Christmas tree or maybe not.

• colek-1-bar
    11/10/2015 - 09:05 p.m.

The tree needs to go up because it might needs to be decorated and lit by December 2. The workers want the tree to be ready a long time before hand just in case anything goes wrong in the process. If are any technical difficulties, and the tree was set up the day before, it would not be lit when December 2 comes around. In paragraph 2, the information states that it is a "ten-ton tree". A lot of things could go wrong when working on anything that heavy. That is why the t=huge Christmas tree needs to go up so early. I found that the tree had to take a 80 mile trip to midtown Manhattan surprising and interesting.

• annag-4-bar
    11/10/2015 - 09:12 p.m.

The tree might need to go up so early because it takes a long time to get the tree and prepare it like trimming it, putting lights on it, etc. Since the tree is 78 feet tall it takes a long time to get prepared. I chose this article because every year I watch the Christmas tree lighting on TV.

• lilyg-2-bar
    11/10/2015 - 10:38 p.m.

The tree may need to go up very early for more people to see and to decorate and for the tree lighting. "It will be lit for the Christmas season." This tells us that the tree will be put up earlier than necessary to get people in the holiday spirit. I think this is interesting because I never knew what a big deal this Christmas tree was, even though I knew it was really pretty.

• calvinh-4-bar
    11/11/2015 - 12:04 a.m.

The tree might need to go up so early so it can be prepared for the annual tree-lighting at Rockefeller Center. It tens of thousands are actually there and millions watch it on television, then it needs to look amazing.
    I think it is odd that they'd put it up almost a month before the actual lighting because I'd be worried about it dying and having to find another tree.

• rachels-jac
      11/16/2015 - 12:50 p.m.

I agree on your statement on how the people who take care of the tree might be worried about it dying, because it was put up so early. Hopefully they don't have to get another tree and decorate it again.

• jordiv-sla
    11/11/2015 - 10:15 a.m.

I think this a great idea to celebrate the holidays but its also a good idea to put it up early because its going to take a lot of work to put up that tree and get it decorated. Once that's done the tree will be a little early for X-mas but it will be worth it. I also think its a good idea for the tree to be early because at night people can look at the tree's beauty for a couple of weeks. But when people are down and gloomy that can look at the tree and cheer up a little. When that tree is up I think I would definetly go and see that tree too just like everyone else.

• GigiSylvester-Ste
    11/11/2015 - 12:59 p.m.

This is so cool. I'm visiting New York this December, so hopefully i'll be able to see it.