Rare crocodile eggs hatched In this Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, photo provided by The Wildlife Conservation Society and Fisheries Administration, Siamese baby crocodiles swim in a bin at the Koh Kong Reptile Conservation Center in Koh Kong, Cambodia. (Wildlife Conservation Society and Fisheries Administration via AP)
Rare crocodile eggs hatched

Nine eggs of an endangered crocodile species were found in the wild in June. They have been taken to a conservation center in southern Cambodia and have hatched.  Conservationists made this announcement Tuesday.

The New York-based Wildlife Conservation Society and Cambodia's Fisheries Administration said the eggs of nine Siamese crocodiles have hatched at the Koh Kong Reptile Conservation Center. This came after the eggs had been retrieved from the wild to protect them from poachers and predators.

The WCS says the crocodile has an estimated global population of around 410. It is only found only five countries. Those include Cambodia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam. The greatest number are in Cambodia. The species is listed as critically endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. This is because its numbers are rapidly shrinking.

The discovery was made in June. It was the first Siamese crocodile nest recorded in six years of research and protection in Koh Kong's Sre Ambel area.

The conservation center was established by the two organizations. They safeguard endangered reptiles such as Siamese crocodiles and Royal turtles.

"We will take care of these hatchlings until they are able to survive in nature on their own,” said Som Sitha. He is WCS's technical adviser for the Sre Ambel Conservation Project. He continued: "We will then release some to the wild. Others will be kept for breeding."

His colleague is Tun Sarorn. She is caretaker of Royal turtles and Siamese crocodiles at the center. She excited about the hatchlings.

"I am so excited to see these hatchlings. It is the first time I have taken care of them since arriving at the center," she said. "Before seeing them, I was surprised to hear their voices from inside the eggs. It was amazing. I felt so happy because I realized they are coming out. I will feed them all in the next few days with small fish and frogs."

A different conservation group, WWF-Cambodia, separately announced encouraging news about another endangered species, the Irrawaddy, or Mekong. It is a dolphin, with a worldwide population of about 7,000. Ninety percent are in Bangladesh. In Cambodia, and Laos, there are an estimated 80 adults in the Mekong River. WWF-Cambodia announced Tuesday that from January through this week, they recorded two dolphin deaths and eight births. This is an improvement over the same period last year when there were four deaths and four births.

Why are these crocodiles considered rare?

• madysonw-cel
    8/25/2017 - 11:47 a.m.

I think that it's really good that the eggs have been found and are being taken care of. Maybe if they keep some of the crocodiles for breeding the species can become un-endangered. There's only 9 eggs that have been found as of now. Also, maybe by studying the animals more and looking at the eggs they can find out why they're endangered.

• Reidk-dav
    8/28/2017 - 09:17 a.m.

This article that I just read I think that the wild life conservation program is doing with the crocodiles is right and I agree with it. Although I think that all the crocodiles should be kept for breeding to increase the numbers, but keep them in an environment that would simulate the wild so that when they are done breeding they will be released back into the wild.

• Haydeng-dav2
    8/28/2017 - 11:13 a.m.

In response to "Rare Crocodiles eggs Hatched," I agree that the crocodiles should have gone to been taken care of. One reason I agree is that they would have died if they did not get taken care of b a professorial. Another reason is that I agree is because they are almost all dead. It says in the article that they don't hatch often. Even though they are almost dead they still cool to see, I think it would be cool to own a crocodile baby, they are so cute.

• Taylorb-dav1
    8/28/2017 - 11:19 a.m.

In response to "the crocodiles considered rare," I agree that the crocodiles are considered rare . One reason I agree/disagree is that in the text it says "numbers are rapidly shrinking". Another reason is that they can not breed fast enough and a lot died over the years so now there is only 410 left global. It says in the article that there is only main countries. A third reason is there is only so many left.I think this is why the crocodiles are considered rare.

• Audreyc-dav
    8/28/2017 - 01:55 p.m.

Eggs of a very rare crocodile were found and they were brought to a Koh Kong Reptile Conservation Center, so they were protected from poachers and predators. Tun Sarorn is very excited for the hatch of the eggs she says she was surpised that she could hear the babies voices from inside the eggs."I am so excited to see these hatchlings. It is the first time I have taken care of them since arriving at the center," she said. A different conservation group, WWF-Cambodia, separately announced encouraging news about another endangered species, the Irrawaddy, or Mekong. It is a dolphin, with a worldwide population of about 7,000."More than ever, there is hope to believe it is possible to reverse the trend of the Mekong Dolphin decline," the group said in a statement. I really enjoyed this passage because I love to read about animals and they was a really cute picture of the baby crocodiles.

• Alyssab-dav1
    8/28/2017 - 03:18 p.m.

In response to "Rare crocodiles eggs hatched," I disagree that these crocodiles hatched. One reason I disagree is that in the text it said that the eggs found in June but never said that the eggs have hatched all it said that they there found in June, they also said there were only about 410 crocodiles left . Another reason is that it never said the date that the crocodiles were born if they were born then the need to have said the date. It says in the article there not a date on when the crocodiles were born they need to have a date. A third reason there is no date. Even though _it said they were born it was a very good article., I think there needs to be a date and more pacific about what the write.

• jackiek-orv
    8/29/2017 - 11:36 a.m.

these crocodiles considered rare because there are so little left. why wouldn't they be rare?

• jamariw-orv
    8/29/2017 - 02:23 p.m.

I think what they are doing is great I am not discrediting them I just dont believe in captivity I hope when they get older they let them go.

• Karters-eic
    9/01/2017 - 10:41 a.m.

I think the Wild Life Conservation is doing the best job ever.I hope the baby's live for a long time.

• Mitchils-eic
    9/01/2017 - 10:49 a.m.

I hope these species of crocodiles stop dropping in their population and start rising.And I hope they live a healthy and happy life.