This radio station broadcasts all over the world, but only at breakfast time Inside a radio broadcasting booth. (Dave Kleinschmidt/Joe Haupt/Flickr)
This radio station broadcasts all over the world, but only at breakfast time

Global Breakfast Radio is a 24-hour broadcast operation. It collects programs from more than 250 radio stations. They are from all around the world. But there's a catch. Each of those stations is only played during its time zone's respective breakfast time slot. "The sun is always rising somewhere. Breakfast is always just about to happen. In some small way, Global Breakfast Radio hopes to be a way of traveling globally through the medium of radio." That's according to GBR.

The station was created by two UK-based breakfast radio fans. They are Seb Emina, a writer, and Daniel Jones, a systems artist. That's according to Wired UK. The duo combed through hundreds of radio stations worldwide to narrow down the current list of 250. Those stations play on a loop. They provide music and news. It comes on after sunrise. As Wired UK explains, pulling that off required a bit of technical savvy.

Digital music fans might notice that the output bears a little likeness to the algorithmically-generated playlists. These are built by Spotify or Pandora.

"The difference is that here the algorithm is mediated by the day-long cycle of the Sun sweeping the globe." That's according to Jones. "It is tied together with the myriad broadcasters in these far-?ung locations."

But with this comes myriad difficulties, explains Jones. "We soon discovered that internet stream URLs seem to decay and disappear extremely quickly, meaning that the database of stations needs to be constantly tended. We seem to have accidentally signed ourselves up for a Sisyphean battle against internet bit-rot."

Once the algorithmic kinks were worked out, the team tried to create a list. The list is representative of the tremendous diversity around the globe. They wanted to capture the feeling of exploring an endless swath of new places, they told Wired.

CC-licensed photos of sunrises from the locales in question circulate in the background. There are a few highlights. These include Alpenmelodie, which plays traditional oompah music. It is from Germany. There is Voice of Palau, the government-run station of that island nation. And there is Radio Wassoulou Internationale. It plays traditional tunes from South Mali and Guinea.

Do you listen to the radio? Why or why not?

• LeeAnnH-dec
    2/07/2019 - 12:17 p.m.

No, I do not listen to the radio. Nowadays, kids use their phones, ipads, apple watches, and more. Not many people use radios anymore. Each year more and more electronics are made.

• bcorb-wim5
    2/07/2019 - 12:47 p.m.

I don't usually listen to the radio because we don't usually have the radio on causing me to not listen to it. But I think this would have me listen

• mreed-wim5
    2/07/2019 - 12:50 p.m.

I listen to the radio. Songs that are played on the radio bring joy to me because I always love getting in the car and hearing my favorite song come on. Radios also get me enthusiastic before a softball game.

• joeyw-orv
    2/08/2019 - 02:54 p.m.

I only listen to the radio in my mom's or dad's vehiclo because I don't need to. Because I do things besides that. Plus, I don't care for radios much.

• Will-E2
    2/11/2019 - 10:19 a.m.

This article is about a radio station that plays all over the world! But there's a catch it only plays a breakfast time!I picked to read this article because it looked interesting.I also picked this article because my dad listens to the radio a lot.

• Edileh-E2
    2/11/2019 - 10:20 a.m.

I thought that this one was a bit confusing. But also interesting at the same time. But I had a question, and question was, "what about the people who sleep in but they also want to listen to the radio but they do not play it after "breakfast time"? And what exactly is "breakfast time"? Is it 8:00-8:30? or is it 6:00 to 7:00? (wow that's early) and does it play the same thing every morning or is it like old TV where every second you are not there is a second wasted and you will never hear it again? I really enjoyed this article.

• Weston-E2
    2/11/2019 - 10:31 a.m.

a radio station that's always playing all the time all around the world but its only at breakfast time every were but if its every were that means it always plays because every were it is a different time of breakfast. i think this would be very hard for the people running the radio because wouldn't it be hard keeping track of all of those breakfast times.

• Rachel-E2
    2/11/2019 - 04:18 p.m.

This article was about a worldwide radio station that plays only during breakfast time. I am glad that every one can listen to the same radio station. I think that the people who run it should be able to have breaks and I think they do. I think this because everyone should get some sleep.

• Ruben G-mag
    2/11/2019 - 06:01 p.m.

My comentary Is the station was created by two UK-based breakfast radio fans. They are Seb Emina, a writer, and Daniel Jones, a systems artist. That's according to Wired UK. The duo combed through hundreds of radio and The difference is that here the algorithm is mediated by the day-long cycle of the Sun sweeping the globe

• PaigeM-dec
    2/12/2019 - 08:24 a.m.

I do listen radio sometimes. I do because it tells me the weather.