Pots, pans, dolls, games up for toy hall of fame Bubbles and Rubik's Cube are finalists for induction into the National Toy Hall of Fame (Thinkstock)
Pots, pans, dolls, games up for toy hall of fame

Pots and pans and paper airplanes are among the 12 finalists for induction into the National Toy Hall of Fame.

Those humble contenders are up against American Girl dolls, the board game Operation and several return nominees. Those include little green Army men and bubbles.

The other 2014 nominees are Fisher-Price Little People, My Little Pony, Rubik's Cube, Slip 'N Slide, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Toys and the toy trucks sold each holiday shopping season at Hess gas stations.

The hall of fame is at The Strong museum in Rochester, New York. Two winners will be inducted Nov. 6.

Anyone can nominate a toy. A museum advisory committee narrows down the list. Then a national committee of history, toy and education experts votes in the winners.

Inductees have to be widely recognized. They must have proven to be more than a passing fad and foster learning, creativity or discovery through play.

The two winners will join last year's honorees, the rubber duck and chess. Fifty-one other toys have been inducted since the hall was established in 1998.

Other past winners include Etch A Sketch, Play-Doh, Barbie, Mr. Potato Head and the Frisbee.

Items like the cardboard box and stick have also made the hall. That's for inspiring kids to transform them into play things on their own.

Critical thinking challenge: How does the Toy Hall of Fame benefit the city of Rochester, New York? What other reason might you have for visiting Rochester?

• R.A.Micheal
    9/24/2014 - 08:36 a.m.

Toy Hall of Fame Benefits Rochester because it makes it become more of a tourist attraction. And also it makes the city more interesting knowing that they have a museum like place for toys that have been nominated over the years.

• marley28
    9/24/2014 - 12:12 p.m.

I don't know about you but i like toys i think there awesome! But i never suspected bubbles and toy army figures, but there both cool too.

• WV2001TacoBelll
    9/24/2014 - 01:00 p.m.

The hall of fame benefits the town because it became a tourist attraction that people liked and came to see the town now seems more interesting

• ce2001sparkle
    9/24/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

The Toy Hall of Fame benefits the city because more people will start to come to the city ,it will become a tourist attraction. I might want to see the museum of toys that they have it sound like an interesting thing to visit.

• camillef-wal
      2/25/2016 - 01:49 p.m.

It is! I live in Rochester and I have a lot of fun when I go there!

• ct2000green
    9/24/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

This is honestly pretty cool, it's a museum for toys, who wouldn't love that! Also I believe this will benefit Rochester, NY because it will get a lot of tourist and voters/ nominees to come and see it. If I went I'd personally go to the museum first so I can see all of the toys that were inducted in. Plus I'd love to see Ninja Turtles toys there, now that'd be awesome.

• Dibelibeanibey
    9/24/2014 - 01:36 p.m.

I think the Rubik's Cube would be most likely to win because it's a fun toy but super hard to solve unless you know how to do it, and know all the sequences and patterns.

• Sarahs-OBr
    9/24/2014 - 02:01 p.m.

I think that the Toy Hall of Fame is a benefit to Rochester, New York because the museum brings lots of people every day and that brings a lot of money. There can be many good toys and creative ideas in the Toy Hall of Fame, like the nominees the card board box and stick. They said that it won because it was inspiring for kids to see what they can make. I think the box and stick shows kids that you don't need an actual toy like an Xbox or a Barbie doll to have fun, just look around and see what you can do with your surroundings.
    I don't really know a lot about Rochester, New York, but I bet there are some other attractions, also like; amusement parks, the zoo, art galleries, and so much more, that if you were there you would want to see them and stay longer. There can also be more specific places like the Mount Hope Cemetery, or Susan B. Anthony's house, and everybody loves a science center. So, all of this proves my point, there are more attractions in Rochester, New York, than you could imagine.

• JonathanAA-4
    9/24/2014 - 07:08 p.m.

This article is about the toys that made it into the National Toy Hall of Fame. Some of the nominees for 2014 are Fisher-Price Little People, My Little Pony, Rubik's Cube, Slip 'N' Slide, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and some toy trucks. The hall of fame is located at the Strong museum in Rochester, New York. Did you know that anyone can can nominate a toy? I found this topic interesting because I've always wondered if good toys win anything. I think its cool to have your toy company get chosen to be in the toy hall of fame.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    9/24/2014 - 07:36 p.m.

I would want to nominee the Rubik's cube because it is a very complex cube. You have to get all 6 sides in order to complete it. This would be a very fun experience to be in because you get to vote on which toy would get into the Toy Hall of Fame. I think this would be a very close competition because people have different opinions about each toy. For example, someone wanted to choose the Rubik's cube before but not anymore because he was too frustrated.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: How does the Toy Hall of Fame benefit the city of Rochester, New York? What other reason might you have for visiting Rochester?
    Answer: The Toy Hall of Fame benefits the city of Rochester by getting people to come to the city so the city might be more profitable. Other reasons for visiting Rochester is to taste different kinds of food, watching sports, enjoy its famous places, and other things that Rochester might have.