Particles may contain clues to Egypt's pyramid A screen displays live footage from a thermal camera ahead of a press conference in front of the Khufu pyramid in Giza, Egypt. (AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty, File/Coralie Carlson)
Particles may contain clues to Egypt's pyramid

An international team of researchers will soon begin analyzing cosmic particles. They were collected inside Egypt's Bent Pyramid. The team will search for clues as to how it was built and learn more about the 4,600-year-old structure.

Mehdi Tayoubi is president of the Heritage Innovation Preservation Institute.  He said that plates planted inside the pyramid in January have collected data on radiographic particles. They are known as muons.  They rain down from the earth's atmosphere.

The particles pass through empty spaces. But they can be absorbed or deflected by harder surfaces. By studying particle accumulations, scientists may learn more about the construction of the pyramid. It was built by the Pharaoh Snefru.

"For the construction of the pyramids, there is no single theory that is 100 percent proven or checked. They are all theories and hypotheses," said Hany Helal.  He is the institute's vice president.

"We would like to confirm or change or upgrade or modify the hypotheses that we have on how the pyramids were constructed," he said.

The Bent Pyramid is in Dahshur.  That is just outside Cairo.  The Bent Pyramid is distinguished by the bent slope of its sides. It is believed to have been ancient Egypt's first attempt to build a smooth-sided pyramid.

The Scan Pyramids project announced in November thermal anomalies in the 4,500-year-old Khufu Pyramid in Giza.  The project is coupling thermal technology with muons analysis to try to unlock secrets to the construction of several ancient Egyptian pyramids.

Tayoubi said the group plans to start preparations for muons testing in a month in Khufu, the largest of the three Giza pyramids.  It is known internationally as Cheops.

"Even if we find one square meter void somewhere, it will bring new questions and hypotheses. And maybe it will help solve the definitive questions," said Tayoubi.

Why are scientists interested in old particles?

• ryanh-1-hol
    1/26/2016 - 02:37 p.m.

I wanna know how the pyramids were created

• william1108-yyca
    1/27/2016 - 08:45 p.m.

WOW! It is cool that a group of people actually went inside the pyramid. I wish that I could go inside there. But also in there I could get lost. But I am sure that in there are ancient stuff in there. Maybe one day I will get to go inside and maybe not.

• karliw-1-bar
    1/27/2016 - 09:41 p.m.

Scientists are interested in old particles in Egypt's Bent Pyramid because the old, four thousand year old, geometrically obscure building contains radiographic particles. They are known as muons. They rain down from the earth's atmosphere.

• wileyi-sau
    1/28/2016 - 02:51 p.m.

Because it's science! You guy's may think that I'm weird but love science. Now don't go all nut'z on me just because I'm smart, and don't comment anything mean about me. ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dashiellg-3-bar
    1/28/2016 - 04:09 p.m.

The old particles may have DNA on them which they can tell which monarch was in rule during the making of this period. The particles also may have been from another pyramid underground. I thought it was interesting that that pyramid was the first attempting smooth one and obviously it failed.

• ziont-orv-orv
    1/28/2016 - 04:42 p.m.

Why are scientists interested in old particles?

Because it's their job.

• gladysg-hol
    1/28/2016 - 06:55 p.m.

They want to know how they were able to build it.

• kaleal-2-bar
    1/28/2016 - 07:42 p.m.

Scientists are interested in old particles because they can unlock a lot of things about the past. This is a cool article that caught my eye because the pyramids are one of the seven wonders of the world.

• taylore-1-bar
    1/28/2016 - 09:05 p.m.

Scientists are interested in old particles because it can help provide information on how these pyramids were built. Scientists are trying to collect data on radioactive particles. I found this article interesting because no one knows much information from how the pyramids were built. This didn't surprise me because I think it is hard to find evidence in a 4,600 years old.

• ethang-1-bar
    1/28/2016 - 10:16 p.m.

Scientists are interested in old particles because it gives them more information on history.As said above,"By studying particle accumulations, scientists may learn more about the construction of the pyramid."states that scientists can use this method to understand the construction of these mysterious monuments.My opinion on this article is that I feel it is very important to make discoveries everyday and to get to know our world history just a little bit more.Knowing all this important knowledge can even help our world today.