Oops! Singer forgets words to national anthem Recording artist Aaron Lewis performs the national anthem before Game 5 of baseball's World Series (AP photos)
Oops! Singer forgets words to national anthem

Aaron Lewis has apologized for botching the lyrics of "The Star-Spangled Banner." It happened during his performance before Game 5 of the baseball World Series.

The lead singer of the metal band Staind turned country singer published his apology note on his website Monday. The night before, in San Francisco, he stumbled during his rendition of the national anthem.

After starting with "O say can you see by the dawn's early light, what so proudly we hailed," Lewis diverted from the lyrics. Instead of singing "at the twilight's last gleaming" he sang "were so gallantly streaming." Those words appear later in the song.

"All I can say is I'm sorry and ask for the Nation's forgiveness. My nerves got the best of me and I am completely torn up about what happened," he wrote. "America is the greatest country in the world.

"The Star-Spangled Banner means so much to so many, including myself. I hope everyone can understand the intensity of the situation and my true intent of this performance. I hope that the Nation, Major League Baseball and the many fans of our national pastime can forgive me."

Critical thinking challenge: Everyone makes mistakes. How did Aaron Lewis handle his mistake?

• LaurenT-1
    10/31/2014 - 09:54 a.m.

Aaron Lewis, the lead singer of Staind, sang the wrong words at game five of the World Series. Lewis deeply apologized, claiming tat his nerves got the best of him. He hopes for forgiveness from all Americans, saying America is"the greatest country in the world".,
    I think that Americans should just learn the national anthem, then we wouldn't have these kinds of problems. Period.

• aidan2459
    10/31/2014 - 10:22 a.m.

The article is about a singer that forgot the star-spangled banner before the 5th game of the world series. His name is aren lewis and he is the lead singer of a metal band. He mixed up some of the lines when he was singing it. Its not that hard to remember.

• ImanB-1
    10/31/2014 - 10:35 a.m.

Aaron Lewis was singing the "Star-Spangled Banner" before Game 5 of the baseball World Series. While he was singing, he made a mistake! He said, "were so gallantly streaming." instead of, "at the twilight's last gleaming." . He wrote letters about how sorry he felt and how America is a great nation. I forgive him, because that seemed like a mistake anyone could have done.

• 7DHURPATBRANDEN-Flo
    10/31/2014 - 11:21 a.m.

Aaron Lewis apologized by writing to everyone saying he didn't mean to and apologizing to the Major League Baseball. This is how he apologized, he also says it's to much intensity of singing.

• sparkle345
    10/31/2014 - 11:43 a.m.

I think that must have must been so scary! Though I do agree that everyone makes mistakes in life. He was also singing the right words just at the wrong time.Just because he sings the wrong words does not mean he is a bad person. He also said that he was sorry.

• brycev-ree
      10/15/2015 - 01:08 p.m.

If he forgets them he should get a one way ticket to jail!!!!!!

• ajeter-Cla
    10/31/2014 - 11:44 a.m.

Every body makes mistakes all you can do is try to correct them and learn from them in the future so don't be quick to judge people because nobody is perfect.

• rachelh10503
    10/31/2014 - 12:02 p.m.

he made sure that everyone understood that he was very sorry that he accidentally messed up the countries song. he was probably VERY nervous or didn't practice well

• hystericalcat
    10/31/2014 - 12:05 p.m.

That would be embarrassing to forget the words to the National Anthem. I would have memorized the words to the song before I went to sing it.

• Big_Fluffy_Giant
    10/31/2014 - 12:14 p.m.

Everyone makes mistakes and I think he handled it pretty well. I've seen worse Star-Spangled Banner mistakes than that, for example, back when Micheal Jordan played there was this one guy that had two voice cracks during it.