But officer, I was only trying to help! Below left, a Maserati resembling a police cruiser sits parked along the shore in Quincy, Mass. A new Maserati appears in a showroom, below (- AP photos / Getty Images)
But officer, I was only trying to help!

Police patrol cars are usually Fords or Chryslers, not Maseratis.

So when a patrolman spotted a Maserati resembling a police cruiser, he pulled it over.

Deputy Chief Wayne Foster tells The Patriot Ledger newspaper the luxury Italian vehicle's body was painted black and white with a police-style shield on the doors. It also had police-related decals.

Foster said the door shield wasn't accompanied by the usual police phrase "Protect and Serve." Instead, the Maserati's door shields said "Decepticons punish and enslave."

The driver told the officer who pulled him over that he was actually assisting police. That's "because other drivers noticed him and slowed down, thinking it was a police vehicle."

The driver, whose name was not made public, was summoned to court to face a charge of impersonating a police officer.

Critical thinking challenge: Was the Maserati owner providing a public service? How could this be a bad thing for regular people or police?

• Jason0421-YYCA
    8/13/2014 - 07:19 p.m.

I think that the person who was driving the fake police car shouldn't be blamed because he was only trying to help the policemen. I think that the person who drove that fake police car didn't know that he couldn't make the same design as other police cars because why would someone want to make other drivers slow down without a reason. I also think that the person shouldn't go to council too.
    Answers: I think that the Maserati was providing public service because he wanted to make other cars slow down. This could be a bad thing for people because bad people could use the same idea and drive fake police cars.

• 19Parker-May
    8/14/2014 - 02:37 p.m.

That would be pretty cool to have a car like that and making it look like a police car if i had one i would try to pull it over.

• jocsan7
    8/17/2014 - 08:32 p.m.

When I read the headline, I supposed that it was about something funny, however I Think that it is a big mistake to paint a car with the colours of a police patrol, despite that, I believe that the measure was too excessive, ok, the guy committed something wrong, but I think he wasnt supplanting a patrol, but being creative or something, of course the police officer didnt believe that though. It is obvious that painting your car with a similar colour of a patrol, it will cause you troubles, so I wont do that never.

• Re'neisha
    8/19/2014 - 08:37 a.m.

that was cool how he got a car and just hooked it up like that . the bad thing about is he should of thought about what if the police find out . but its very interesting how somebody just does that to try to help

• matthewspires650@yahoo.com
    8/19/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

i think it would be cool to have a Maserati's as a police car. The guy who was pulled over , whose name was not made public ,was summoned to court to face a charge of impersonating a police officer. The driver told the officer who pulled him over that he was actually assisting police. That's because other drivers noticed him and slowed down , thinking it was a police vehicle. But why is the guy getting charged if he was assisting police.

• 17Blake-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:26 p.m.

ok but is he a real police or not because if the car had the same graphics as a real squad car wouldn't he be a real cop

• alexisk-Sch
    8/20/2014 - 11:33 a.m.

He was helping people from causing accidents. But also people might find out and it could be confusing to the poilce when they are out. Also it could confuse peopl on why he didn

• alexisk-Sch
    8/20/2014 - 11:35 a.m.

He was helping people from causing accidents. But also people might find out and it could be confusing to the poilce when they are out. Also it could confuse people on why he didn't pull them over. He was doing a good thing but also a bad thing and some people might get the idea to do the same thing.

• teaguens-Sch
    8/20/2014 - 11:39 a.m.

I like the driver's idea of driving a car that looks like a police car. I can see why he was charged with impersonating a police officer because he wasn't registered with the police department to do this act.

• halieg-Sch
    8/20/2014 - 11:41 a.m.

Ok, that is just wrong. I realize that its good that they slow down. But people shouldn't act like policemen and scare people to death. People shouldn't be speeding in the first place. You don't have to do the police's job. They have it under control.