Nurse who survived Ebola gets her dog back Bentley, the King Charles Spaniel who was quarantined after his owner, Nina Pham, was diagnosed with Ebola (AP photos)
Nurse who survived Ebola gets her dog back

A Dallas nurse who recovered from Ebola will soon be reunited with her dog.

The King Charles Cavalier spaniel named Bentley is in quarantine at an abandoned Navy base in Dallas.

His owner, Nina Pham, was diagnosed with Ebola earlier this month. She had contracted the virus while caring for a Liberian man, Thomas Eric Duncan. He died on Oct. 8. Ebola is a disease that began in west Africa. It can be deadly though many who get sick will live after they get proper treatment.

City spokeswoman Sana Syed said that the dog has tested negative for Ebola and that his 21-day quarantine the Ebola incubation period ends Saturday.

Pham was released from her own quarantine Oct. 24.

Syed says Pham won't visit the dog sooner because he may become anxious if he sees her but is then left behind in isolation.

Critical thinking challenge: Why did Nina Pham care for a man with such a dangerous disease?

• BiancaB-3
    11/03/2014 - 07:26 p.m.

Nina Pham, was diagnosed with Ebola after tending to a previous Ebola patient. Pham was able to beat the virus and is now Ebola free. On the other hand, the man that she was looking after in Dallas died on October 8. Pham was lucky enough to beat the virus. She was recently released from the hospital on October 24. Nina's dog, Bentley, has been in quarantine. Bentley was also tested for the disease. His results were negative. He has been very anxious to see Nina, and they will hopefully be reunited soon. It was said that Nina won't visit the dog because he may become too anxious if he sees her but is then left behind in isolation. I believe that Pham should wait until she is 100% clear of the disease before she sees her dog. I think this because if there is a chance that she still has the virus, the last thing that should happen is that Bentley gets the disease also.

• lolak-Orv
    11/03/2014 - 07:56 p.m.

I've heard about tat dong on the news.
    its cool that she gets her dog back (and that she Survived EBOLA).
    dogs are a part of life if you have one, there your best friend. I feel bad for the dog though because he docent get to see Nina yet.

• SabrinaP-5
    11/03/2014 - 08:05 p.m.

All the articles that I've read said that they haven't found a cure for Ebloa, which is shocking to me that actually two people have survived from it and go rid of it. The fact that they let the owner get her dog back may be a bad idea for some people, but a lot people probably support it like me. When you have a animal that you are so attached to its hard to let go. That might be the reason some people might think it is a bad idea. I wouldn't understand why the dog would be afraid to see it's owner, because dogs get attached to their owners very easily.

Nina Pham treated this patient because it's her job to help people and to worship them with care. She treated this man because he needed it. This man was suffering and probably a lot of doctors didn't want to treat him because he had such a deadly disease. This man may of die but he knows in spirit that some one actually cared for him to help him. People need to notice that there are people out there to actually risk their life to help another.

• Brady_TwenniWan
    11/03/2014 - 09:01 p.m.

Its sad that they had to put the dog in quarantine, but if it wasn't it wouldn't be safe. It's great though that it will be out soon, that should cheer them up a little. I think Nina Pham cared for the man because if she didn't she would have lost her job. It also wouldn't be fare to the man, he didn't choose to get Ebola. It would be awesome if they could find a cure though.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    11/03/2014 - 09:05 p.m.

I think this is a very happy moment because the nurse and her dog was separated from each other for many days. I think they are very happy to see each other again after being separated from each other for many days. With Nina's recovery, this means that there is hope for people getting treated from Ebola. I also think that everyone who comes back from treating people with Ebola should be quarantined because they can spread the disease to other people. How did Bentley catch Ebola? I think Nina spread the disease to her dog or that Bentley touched her.
    Answer: Nina Pham cared for a man with such a dangerous disease because she needed to help treat the people of Africa who have Ebola.

• John0724-YYCA
    11/03/2014 - 09:15 p.m.

I never knew you could treat such a deadly disease could be treated with proper treatment and I thought that once you have ebola then you die. When I first heard about this deadly disease I thought that this disease wasn't serious but after hearing the news I almost fainted. But I don't know who got ebola the dog or the nurse? May be it was both of them.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    11/03/2014 - 09:19 p.m.

I think that this is amazing for a dog and a nurse to be healed from Ebola, but I think what is more amazing is that a dog was able to survive Ebola. I didn't know that Ebola can be passed down to dogs, and I didn't know that dogs have a strong immune system to survive it. I hope that the dog will be happy with Pham even though that Pham won't be seeing him sooner.
    Answer: Nina Pham (nurse) cared for the man with such a dangerous disease because she was probably helping the man get cured from Ebola.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    11/03/2014 - 09:23 p.m.

I think the dog would be cured when it got it's proper treatment that wouldn't spread the Ebola disease from another person to another, that would be dangerous and disgusting cause the Ebola looks like a worm for some reason is, it is long and the size of a worm which is real disgusting.
    Answer: Nina Pham has to take care of the man with Ebola virus inside the body, so Nina has to do a proper treatment so the Ebola virus doesn't kill the man.

• DyllanM-4
    11/03/2014 - 10:36 p.m.

Ebola is a deadly virus that can cause so many deaths In one year. She got her dog taken away because she had this virus. She loved this dog so much, but the dog had to get taken away. October 24 she was released from Ebola and got her dog back!

• Jazmineawesome
    11/04/2014 - 10:25 a.m.

I feel bad that she had Ebola. I also feel bad for the man who died of Ebola. People should be happy that they don't have Ebola or their children. The nurse should be happy that she got through all that pain of Ebola.