Now watch Nemo in Navajo Mikyla Hongeva, 11, holds a copy of "Finding Nemo" outside the Peunte de Hozho elementary school in Flagstaff, Ariz. Mikyla recorded the voice of one of the turtles in the Navajo language version of the movie, only the second major motion picture to be translated. (Jake Bacon/Arizona Daily Sun via AP)
Now watch Nemo in Navajo

A few children in Flagstaff, Arizona, are among a movie's cast of voices. They are bringing "Finding Nemo" to a Navajo-speaking audience.

For only the second time, a major motion picture has been dubbed in the Navajo language.

The movie is "Finding Nemo."  It's playing in select theaters on the Navajo Nation.

Disney and Pixar officials say they chose the animated fish tale because there are only animal characters and few songs.

The movie follows the journey of Marlin, a clown fish. He is on a search for his son, Nemo.

Catherine Esquivel's 6-year-old son Mariano Esquivel voiced a baby turtle in the movie.

"I don't know that he understands now how huge this is for the Navajo people, to have Disney play a part in retaining our language," she said. "When he's older he will think, 'Wow, this was a great time in my life.'"

"Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" became the first Hollywood feature translated in Navajo in 2013.

That movie is also owned by Disney.

How will this movie help preserve the Navajo language?

• josiec-1-bar
    3/24/2016 - 07:23 p.m.

This movie will help preserve the "Navajo language," because the translation will allow more chlidren to connect to their native language. Parents form the Arizona Daily Sun agree that the translation of this movie will keep that Navajo language alive. In Arizona there is a small population of people that still speak Navajo and a movie is a great way to give examples to young children about their language. My opinion that it is an honor for Disney because it is the second moviethat they have produced that has been translated to Navajo.

• colek-1-bar
    3/24/2016 - 07:43 p.m.

By using the native language of the Navajos in Finding Nemo, the language will be heard more, changeling the people that speak Navajo to understand the movie. Many of the childrens' parents believe that, "the translation will help keep the Navajo language alive." (paragraph 6). If the movie is in Navajo, then the children and people watching it will be inspired to try to learn the language more. If this works, the Navajo language will truly spread and be spoken frequently in this region. That is how the movie will help preserve the Navajo language. I thought this article was interesting and found the first movie translated to be Star Wars surprising.

• colbys-3-bar
    3/24/2016 - 08:18 p.m.

This will preserve the Navajo language because if a kid grows up learning Navajo, they will not be able to watch most movies. If they want to watch these movies they will not learn Navajo but English, but with Navajo speaking movies they can keep on learning Navajo. I thought this article was interesting because I would not like it if all movies I wanted to watch I could not understand.

• jennaw-1-bar
    3/24/2016 - 09:24 p.m.

most Disney movies are in English, and cannot be translated because the lips move in the way of looking as if they are talking in English. The first movie that has been translated to Naha most Disney movies are in English, and cannot be translated because the lips move in the way of looking as if they are talking in English. The first movie that has been translated to not Navajo language by people living there is Nemo. This will not only make the community happy, but will also make Navajo's language unforgettable because a movie is actually in the language that they speak. This might not be a big deal to us but it is a huge one. Something new I learned from this article was that Disney movies cannot be translated as easy as you would expect.

• sheilah-6-bar
    3/24/2016 - 10:10 p.m.

This movie will help preserve the Navajo language. The article states,"The children's parents tell the Arizona Daily Sun newspaper that they believe the translation will help keep the Navajo language alive." This language is not very popular. Navajo is not known to many people, but Disney movies are. The movie Nemo in the Navajo language will show some people that it is an important language to many people. I find this article interesting because I did not know that the Navajo language existed.

• lilyr-4-bar
    3/24/2016 - 10:17 p.m.

This movie will help preserve the language because it is allowing Navajo people to understand a popular movie. This is shown where it says, "I love the fact that Navajo has such a place in our history, with the Code Talkers in World War II," said senior vice president of Disney character voices Rick Dempsey. "If we want to work to preserve a language, this is a great one." I found this article interesting because I can connect this to when I read a book about the Navajo code talkers.

• taylorh-4-bar
    3/24/2016 - 10:19 p.m.

This movie will help preserve the Navajo language because of the translation made for the Navajo people to understand. According to the article, "The children's parents tell the Arizona Daily Sun newspaper that they believe the translation will help keep the Navajo language alive." I found this article interesting because the people in Navajo get to see this movie in they own language.

• briannt-3-bar
    3/24/2016 - 11:03 p.m.

This movie will help preserve the Navajo language because the children's parents tell the Arizona Daily Sun newspaper that they believe the translation will help keep the Navajo language alive. Disney made Finding Nemo that a Navajo-speaking audience. I chose this article because I like the movie Finding Nemo. Also, what is Navajo?

• heatherm-4-bar
    3/24/2016 - 11:21 p.m.

Navajo doesnt get alot of disney movies so them getting finding nemo is a huge thing for all kids. i chose this because nemo was oneof my childhood favorites

• kayah-4-bar
    3/25/2016 - 12:39 a.m.

This movie will help preserve Navajo language because this movie was seen by millions of people and if we know that it helps preserve the language it will create a huge amount of people wanting to either learn Navajo or even the people that already know it will be able to speak more often and frequently. "I love the fact that Navajo has such a place in our history, with the Code Talkers in World War II," said senior vice president of Disney character voices Rick Dempsey. "If we want to work to preserve a language, this is a great one."(paragraph 11). This shows why it helps preserve the Navajo language and why we should let this movie preserve the language. I thought this article was very interesting because "Finding Nemo" is one of my favorite movies and I also think this movie will help preserve the Navajo language.