New frogs found. And they dance. Here is one of the 14 new species of so-called dancing frogs discovered in the jungle mountains of southern India
New frogs found. And they dance.

The frogs are found exclusively in the Western Ghats, a lush mountain range that stretches 1,600 kilometers (990 miles) from the western state of Maharashtra down to the country's southern tip.

When the males dance, it's actually a unique breeding behavior called foot-flagging. The frogs stretch, extend and whip their legs out to the side to draw the attention of females. The females might have trouble hearing mating croaks over the sound of water flowing through streams.

The bigger the frog, the more they dance. They also use those leg extensions to smack away other males, which is important considering the ratio for the amphibians is usually around 100 males to one female.

These are tiny, delicate frogs no bigger than a walnut.

The Western Ghats, older than the Himalayas, is among the world's most biologically exciting regions. It holds at least a quarter of all Indian species. Yet in recent decades, the region has faced a constant assault by mining, water pollution, unregulated farming and loss of habitat to human settlements.

Critical thinking challenge: Why must frogs dance instead of croaking to get attention?

• lanaijahstewart
    5/22/2014 - 10:25 a.m.

Frogs have unusual ways to do things. Are there anymore frogs or unknown species that we dont know about. Anyways, I think that there is a good thing that we found a new species and a new addition to our planet and we keep trying to make this place a better place.

• Rico O'Neal
    5/22/2014 - 10:58 a.m.

Fourteen new species of dancing frogs have been found in the jungle mountains of southern India. The tiny amphibians earned their name with the unusual kicks they use to attract mates. One problem, though. The species declined in number during the 12 years in which Indian scientists studied them. The frogs breed after the yearly monsoon in fast-rushing streams. But their habitat appears to be becoming increasingly dry. Maybe they to be more funner

• devin838405
    5/22/2014 - 11:00 a.m.

This passage is all about 14 new species of frigs that have
    the legs to be able to dance.the scientist is shock and worry that in
    12 years a new speices was going to happen and
    new spieces did happen and aslo people wants to see these new creatures
    and see how can they be able to dance and move.

• Kole23
    5/22/2014 - 11:07 a.m.

I think it's incredibly amazing how interesting frogs can be , I think it's cool that they dance for mate . I think it's a really unique way to win a girl over...(:

• Alattimore
    5/22/2014 - 11:07 a.m.

that is cool i love frog my mom had her own tree frog and i want one i catch frog and release them back in the wild.I never have heard of a "dancing frog" But now after i read this i realize that there are many different species of animals and that they are all different in some way. Many of them are different colors .this frogs have a funny and weird way to attract females and there more frogs that we think we know but u never know were they anymore kinds of frogs in the world.I'm wondering why they use "dancing" to attract mates, because if there as small as a walnut, how can other frogs really see them. I think it's quite cool though that they "dance" to get mates, it shows how animals are getting smarter.

• Jurassic
    5/22/2014 - 11:56 a.m.

If this animal was just found, I wonder what other animals are out there. Sometimes this stuff freaks me out so much that I want to throw up. Sometimes this stuff haunts me when I watch shows about Bigfoot and other cryptids.

• BreannaK7AMS
    5/22/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

They couldn't have taken this photo with out the new technology. Technology today has gotten really smarter like the zoom to snap a picture of that frog. Plus take a video or two this is why I like this photo/video of the frog.

• crazychicken31
    5/22/2014 - 12:50 p.m.

I wonder if these frogs are poisonous! I think that the frogs dance instead of croak because it is more unique and it will impress the females.

• isaiah123478
    5/22/2014 - 12:52 p.m.

They must be really small if they are not bigger than a wall nut. I think it is cool that they can dance to attract females so they can mate.

• soccer'sBoy1
    5/22/2014 - 12:53 p.m.

this story is very interesting now i wont to see the frogs "dance" i'll look it up on youtube or something like that. plus i wont to see the mail frogs kick the other frogs in the face.