Monopoly agrees that “girls matter” This January 2016 photo provided by Carrie Goldman shows a letter sent to Hasbro by her daughter, Annie Rose, complaining that the toymaker did not produce a figurine of Rey, the latest Star Wars movie heroine, for it's Star Wars: Monopoly set. (Carrie Goldman via AP/Disney/Lucasfilm via AP, File)
Monopoly agrees that “girls matter”

The "Star Wars" version of Monopoly will add a game piece based on the female character Rey. The decision came after an 8-year-old girl wrote to game maker Hasbro.  She complained about the omission and said: "Girls matter."

Carrie Goldman, of Evanston, Illinois, posted a letter on Twitter written by her daughter, Annie Rose.  The girl asked why Hasbro left out Rey when she is a main character of the latest movie in the series, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

The letter begins by asking the company why it would omit the heroine of the story.

"Without her THERE IS NO FORCE AWAKENS! It awakens in her! And without her, the bad guys would have won! Besides, boys and girls need to see that women can be as strong as men!" she wrote. "Girls matter!"

The original game includes just four pieces. They are all modeled on male characters -- Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Finn and Kylo Ren. The decision to exclude Rey led to a social media debate and many fans tweeted under the hashtag #WheresRey.

Goldman is an author who has written about toys and gender issues. She included the hashtag as she tweeted a picture of her daughter's letter to Hasbro.

Hasbro responded in a tweet of its own.

"We love your passion for Rey and are happy to share that we are including her in the Monopoly: Star Wars game, available later this year," it said.

Julie Duffy, a spokeswoman for the Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based company, said it did not include Rey in the game to avoid revealing a key plot line. The game was released in September, months before the movie was released. Though Goldman noted that at the time it was well known that Rey would be a central character.

Goldman said the response to Annie Rose's letter shows she struck a nerve and people are ready for a change.

"A huge number of the messages I'm getting are from men. This is not a women's issue. It's about representing the hero of this film," she said.

Duffy said anyone who already bought a Rey-less game can contact Hasbro when the updated game comes out and request their own Rey token.

How did “old media” and “new media” bring about change?

• dashiellg-3-bar
    1/12/2016 - 06:48 p.m.

I thought this article was interesting because obviosly a young girl wrote that note and she is arguing for women's rights basically because if there were no women actors there would be no interesting movies at all. I also thought that the article was very persuasive that you need girls in movies.

• dremonieb-wes
    1/13/2016 - 09:25 a.m.

I think that girls do matter because girls are just as strong as men are. Women/girls should be included in everything. Women should have as much rights as men should but you know the worlds is just not like that. But I strongly agree with Annie and I think they made the right choice by adding Rey into the Star Wars game.

• ritav-hol
    1/13/2016 - 12:02 p.m.

I'm glad they included Rey and how woman should speak up for themselves.

• mauricioa-hol
    1/13/2016 - 12:04 p.m.

• nayelic-hol
    1/13/2016 - 12:16 p.m.

I agree with that girl because if she is like the most important character then why leave her out I mean bruh

• samanthas-1-ste
    1/13/2016 - 01:01 p.m.

It is good that this movie is promoting girls now. A lot of important characters in movies are the girls and they should get recognition as well.

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    1/13/2016 - 02:33 p.m.

It honestly angers me that a small child had to bring this realization to a huge corporation. By now, in the 21st century, sexist things like this should no longer be happening.

• lukeh-orv
    1/13/2016 - 02:39 p.m.

• autianae-ste
    1/13/2016 - 02:46 p.m.

This article is very amusing. I love how the little girl stood up for her interests and about leaving out a main character from the movie that the game should be including.

• courtneyk-wes
    1/13/2016 - 02:46 p.m.

A eight-year-old girl wrote a letter to Carrie Goldman to make things right and Carrie Goldman was the mother of the girl who wrote the letter to Hasbro.