Man grows new nose In a north London hospital, scientists are growing noses, ears and blood vessels in the laboratory in a bold attempt to make body parts using stem cells
Man grows new nose

In a north London hospital, scientists are growing noses, ears and blood vessels. It is a bold attempt to make body parts in the laboratory. But it isn't the only lab in the world that is pursuing the futuristic idea of growing organs for transplant.

Only a handful of patients have received the British lab-made organs so far. The organs include tear ducts, blood vessels and windpipes. But researchers hope they will soon be able to transplant more types of body parts into patients. This includes what would be the world's first nose made partly from stem cells.

"It's like making a cake," said Alexander Seifalian at University College London. He's the scientist leading the effort. "We just use a different kind of oven."

"If people are not that fussy, we could manufacture different sizes of noses so the surgeon could choose a size and tailor it for patients before implanting it," he said. "People think your nose is very individual and personal but this is something that we could mass produce like in a factory one day."

He and his team are creating other organs including coronary arteries and ears. Later this year, a trial is scheduled to start in India and London to test lab-made ears for people born without them.

Last year, he and his team used that material to mold a nose for a British man who lost his to cancer. Then they added a salt and sugar solution to the mold to mimic the somewhat sponge-like texture of a natural nose. Stem cells were taken from the patient's fat and grown in the lab for two weeks before being used to cover the nose scaffold. Later, the nose was implanted into the man's forearm so that skin would grow to cover it.

• TB28pizza
    4/23/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

I think it's weird how they can make a bew nose for someone. It seems like a hard thing to do and I don't know if I would trust it.

• jamala-app
      1/29/2016 - 11:43 a.m.

I don't believe this because how could a man grow a new nose...ewwwwww

• chriss-app
      1/29/2016 - 11:44 a.m.

i can't believe in how they do that my worst dream

• Haley34333
    4/23/2014 - 08:44 a.m.

That's crazy why would u think of getting a new nose better yet growing one it probably squishy it looks spongey like can you breath out of it I would think so if he made it for himself or anybody else

• Nac302
    4/23/2014 - 08:46 a.m.

Making organs is a great for organs people will need to live to have sences is great. This is a great step into the feature.

• Hailey33301
    4/23/2014 - 09:48 a.m.

I think that making body parts in the lab is cool, I think its a good idea so that if some one loses like a finger or something then they can get a new one.

• Katie2020
    4/23/2014 - 09:54 a.m.

This is really crazy. I can not believe that today's technology allows us the create new body parts! That is insane! Will this be a product in the pharmacy someday? Who knows. It is a huge step into the future.

• leone2020
    4/23/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

Very interesting. I didn't know anything like this could actually happen. It's amazing what's being discovered and made around these times. I think it's a great cause, to help those people who don't have the body organ.

• Buzz1
    4/23/2014 - 09:58 a.m.

Wow, I thought hey wouldn't come up with this in a million years! I can't believe that they came up with the idea of a new nose for somebody that lost it but if they are going to make organs that's even more amazing than a nose or an ear.It's really Amazing!

• Mekhi21
    4/23/2014 - 09:58 a.m.

I think that growing new noses idea will be helpful. The remaking of body parts idea is good as a whole, especially for people who lost their part or who was born without their part.