Loose emu rides home in Prius In this photo taken Sept. 21, 2015, Maria Colby stands near Beatrice an Emu who had been running wild through New Hampshire in Henniker, N.H. The birds' owner, Kermit Blackwood, of Townsend, Vt., drove to Henniker and put the bird, Beatrice, in the back of his vehicle and drove back home to his farm. (Geoff Forester/The Concord Monitor via AP)
Loose emu rides home in Prius

An emu famous for running wild through New Hampshire for more than a week has been reunited with its owner. It was returned home safely to Vermont in the back of a Toyota Prius.

The Concord Monitor reports Kermit Blackwood figured that it was a long shot that the emu loose in New Hampshire was his bird, Beatrice. It wasn't until the Townshend, Vermont, resident traveled roughly 80 miles to the Henniker-based nonprofit Wings of the Dawn when he knew for sure.

Maria Colby is the manager of the wildlife rehabilitation center. She said she knew the emu was Blackwood's as soon as they were reintroduced. That was Sept. 27.  The emu moved closer to Blackwood and rolled its neck toward him. It possibly recognized him by the jacket he was wearing, Colby said.

Blackwood says Taft Hill Farm had lost two other emus about a month ago. One died after being attacked by another animal. The other was found in a neighboring town.

Getting Beatrice ready to go home wasn't easy. Blackwood and a farm worker had a bit of a difficult time putting her into the trunk of the Prius. The back seats were folded down for extra space.

The 90-minute ride back to the farm went smoothly, after they removed a sock from the emu's head, Blackwood said.

"Everything is well," he said. "Beatrice is home."

Why was it a struggle to get Beatrice home?

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    10/05/2015 - 02:41 p.m.

This is a great news story, real, interesting life experiences. I'm glad Beatrice is back with her owner and safe, instead of running around New Hampshire. It is great that Blackwood was able to recognize the emu and return it to its owner.

• elliota-orv
    10/05/2015 - 03:48 p.m.

I think it is funny that a huge bird like an emu, could fit into the back of a tiny car, like a Toyota Prius.It is also funny to try and imagine someone trying to put an emu in the back of their car.

• dashiellg-3-bar
    10/05/2015 - 04:06 p.m.

It was a struggle for Beatrice to get home because she is a very large bird with no where to go, only to hope to be found.

This article was interesting because the bird was out of it's natural habitat and it was still able to survive until they found her.

• kayleeu-2-bar
    10/05/2015 - 07:02 p.m.

It was a struggle to get beatrice home because she could not fit in the back of the Prius so they had to fold down the back seats for her to be able to barely fit.

• virginiam-2-bar
    10/05/2015 - 07:17 p.m.

It was a stuggle to get Beatrice home because Beatrice like the outdoors and being free and wild and didn't not to go home. I am happy beatrice made it home safe.

• annag-4-bar
    10/05/2015 - 07:28 p.m.

It was a struggle to get Beatrice back home because the emu was too big to fit in the car. It states,"... had a bit of a difficult time putting her into the trunk of the Prius. The back seats were folded down for extra space." Beatrice is obviously too big too fit in the car, but they made it work. I found it interesting that once the emu saw its owner it stepped closer to home and rolled its neck.

• John0724-YYCA
    10/05/2015 - 08:38 p.m.

I think that it is good that they found the emu right before they were leaving because if they didn't then they could be all over the place and all they know is that the emu could be anywhere because emus run fast. But they were saved by a miracle that they found there missing emu.

• annabel1226-yyca
    10/05/2015 - 08:42 p.m.

Wow! I never seen that bird or heard of it. It is weird looking bird. I think it was so fast that it was running within a week. I wish I could touch the bird and see the bird with my eyes.

• william1108-yyca
    10/05/2015 - 09:12 p.m.

WOW!! It is so cool that they got Beatrice in the trunk. It must have took a lot f work. But it must to be nice with its owner. I have actually never have seen one before. Maybe next time I could find one.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    10/05/2015 - 09:28 p.m.

I think that it is cool for a emu to run from New Hampshire which the emu whose name is Beatrice might have gotten reunited with its owner whose a farmer. I think that the emu might have wanted to come back and re-unit with its owner because I think that it might have liked its old owner than its new owner.