Karen O crafts theme song for "Tomb Raider" game Karen O performs at the David Lynch Foundation Music Celebration at the Theatre at Ace Hotel in Los Angeles. Karen O is crafting a new theme song for the latest "Tomb Raider" video game. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)
Karen O crafts theme song for "Tomb Raider" game

Karen O is teaming up with Lara Croft.

Karen O is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman. She was nominated for a best original song Academy Award last year for "Moon Song" from "Her." She created a new theme song for the video game heroine that will be featured in "Rise of the Tomb Raider." It is the upcoming follow-up to the 2013 title that rebooted the action series.

"I think they wanted to bring on the melodrama with this song," said Karen O during a recent interview. "They wanted something emotional with a dramatic build. It's kind of the theme of Lara's creation myth. It's the moment that defines her becoming an icon. It was really juicy stuff for me. I'm really into making melodramatic songs."

The track is titled "I Shall Rise." It will be released digitally and featured at the end of "Rise of the Tomb Raider." It will also be used in an advertising campaign for the game, out Nov. 10 for Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Karen O also created the soundtrack for "Where the Wild Things Are." She said working on the tune was not unlike creating music for films.

"I just focus on the material I'm given and tune into the emotions of the piece," said Karen O She is joined by guitarist David Pajo on the track. "I've always been inspired by films and storytelling. I was in film school before the Yeah Yeah Yeahs became my career. I've always connected with mixing narrative and music together."

When she first set out with producer Tristan Bechet to make the song, Karen O hoped to create an anthem similar to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." Despite making a song for a "Tomb Raider" game," she was more inspired by changing diapers then hunting for treasure. Karen O became a first-time mother in September.

"I'm in this massive transition where I just brought a life into the world," she said. "It's redefined my concept of myself. I kind of got reduced to rubble in the process of it. I feel like I can relate to a heroine who is up against all kinds of physical and emotional adversity. I have this new perspective on women and motherhood."

Karen O said she's solely focused on raising her son at the moment. It's unlikely the Yeah Yeah Yeahs will be getting back together in the near future. The rock band released their last album, "Mosquito," in 2013. She also probably won't be playing "Rise of the Tomb Raider," though her brother might take a crack at it.

"When we were young, I used to watch him play games that had more of a story, like 'Final Fantasy,'" she said. "I would actually get really emotional invested in them. I would cry when he would win. I've never played games, but I really respect the artistry of them. Nowadays, it just seems like they're on a whole other level."

Why is music so important to video games?

• gregorys-6-bar
    11/06/2015 - 02:26 a.m.

Music is so important in games because it keeps the player engaged in the game that they are playing. Examples of this would be how the music shows what kind of situation the player is in. In the article's fifth paragraph, Karen O says that she love putting music and narrative together which shows that this music is showing narrative. This article quickly caught my eye with its x box one but once I read the title my interests were turning off but I took a read at it and it was pretty good. It shows Karen as a person living a life she loves and can be proud of.

• ethanm-4-bar
    11/06/2015 - 10:44 a.m.

Music is so important to video games because it is very dramatic so it makes the games more intense. It also appeals to ears as well as eyes so the player is getting a better experience through sensory detail.

I was very surprised when it said that it was " similar to Gloris Gaynors I Will Survive". I thought it would be a more emotional song but I like how it is more original.

• jacobd-ver
    11/06/2015 - 12:37 p.m.

She was nominated for a best original song Academy Award last year for "Moon Song" from "Her." I think that it is cool how the girls team up.

• lemonsw-rob
    11/06/2015 - 01:36 p.m.

music is important in video games because they tell you when something is coming or make you feel like you are in the game.

• jackg-buc
      11/09/2015 - 09:19 a.m.

Music tells the story to create the feeling of the game or movie without it you don't know what to expect and your left disappointed but the new game tomb raider will be amazing because I love the other two games in the series.

• eiljahf-ver
    11/06/2015 - 06:45 p.m.

Music is important to video games because depending on the game, the music can set a mood. If it is a horror game dark music could be playing to provide fear in the player. If it's a racing game the music could be something that makes you more energetic and want to win.

• John0724-YYCA
    11/06/2015 - 09:15 p.m.

I think that is pretty cool for this Karen person to sing all of the Tomb Raider series. I don't know if she is a good singer but she does melodramatic music which I heard that it was really hard to sing because you need to have a certain sound.

• sierrab-ste
    11/09/2015 - 04:25 p.m.

Music helps keep the player engaged in the game and it gives the game a mood. Music gives the person playing a game a much better experience and has the person intrigued to play it more often. They should never get rid of music and sound effects in video games.

• annabel1226-yyca
    11/09/2015 - 06:41 p.m.

Wait, can the music maker copy another person's melody? If you can't then why is Karen copying other's people melody? I hope people could make more fun musics for kids. Can people make calm hip-hop music? My mom loves calm music, but I always wants to listen to the hip-hop music, but my moms says to loud. I hope Korean people could make musics like America music. I hope there could be more emotional musics. I think I won't able to make musics because I am not good at the tunes. One day, I hope to make music and be successful. Why does people love hip-pops these days?

• rossc-buc
    11/10/2015 - 11:42 a.m.

Music is important because it tells emotions or what is going on around us, like if we were to be in a intense mode the song would be more cool or intense.