It's a first: women race against men in bobsleds Canada's Kaillie Humphries, left, and Kate O'Brien finish in third place at the women's World Cup bobsled event in Calgary, Alberta. At left, Kaillie appears with Dan Dale, Joey Nemet, and Douglas McLelland (AP photos)
It's a first: women race against men in bobsleds

Elana Meyers Taylor of the United States and Kaillie Humphries of Canada have become the first women to race in a four-person bobsled event in the World Cup. The race was held in Calgary, Canada.

Humphries finished 15th with a two-run time of 1 minute, 48.87 seconds. Meyers Taylor, from Douglasville, Georgia, was 16th out of the 17 finishers in 1:49.52. In the fall, the International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation declared the four-person sled race as gender neutral so men and women could compete against each other.

"Everyone was so excited to see us race today and it really helped me realize the significance of the moment," Meyers Taylor said. "There were some little girls at the track that were excited to watch women's bobsled today. And hopefully what Kaillie and I are doing inspires them.

"I hope someday a woman racing in four-man isn't news. I'm willing to do anything it takes to advance our sport, even if it means racing twice in a day."

Meyers Taylor teamed with Justin Greenwood of Palmyra, Virginia; Carlo Valdes of Newport Beach, California; and Adrian Adams of Reidsville, North Carolina, in the Classroom Champions sled.

Humphries teamed with Dan Dale, D.J. McLelland and Joey Nemet.

"(Elana) and I really want to try and get more women driving the four-man and eventually have women's four-man as its own event. So the women can have two events, two and four, and so can the men," Humphries said. "In the meantime, this kind of bridges the gap a little bit."

Meyers Taylor and Humphries are the first women to race with the men since the World Cup bobsled circuit was created in 1984. However, they aren't the first to compete with the men. Katharin Dewey was a pioneer of women's bobsledding. She piloted her team to a historic victory in the 1940 U.S. Championships when mixed teams were allowed. Women were later banned.

Earlier, Meyers Taylor teamed with Cherrelle Garrett of Hayward, California, to win the women's race. They finished in 1:51.7. They also won the week before. That was at the season-opening event in Lake Placid, New York.

"It definitely feels good to get another win, especially when it's not on home ice," Meyers Taylor said. "It's a big testament to how hard Cherrelle has worked this season, and we're really starting to gel and click. Our push times give me the ability to make some mistakes down the track. So I have her to thank for this win."

Critical thinking challenge: When will woman racing in four-man bobsled no longer be newsworthy?

• Bergin622
    1/06/2015 - 01:24 p.m.

This is a little step in equality for women and men to compete together in sports competitions together. Even though it wasn't the first time that women and men have been in a bobsled together, it inspired many girls including me to play and compete with others of a different gender. Elana and Kaillie are truly taking the first steps in not only racing bobsleds, but creating a whole new idea to bobsledding "rights" so to speak. Even though there aren't the same amount of bobsled races in the ratio of ladies to men, this is the start of a journey that will hopefully end in a women's four-man bobsled race, just like the men have. Who knows? Maybe girls and boys will play soccer together one day. I hope that this event makes a significant change in sports and women's equality.

• Laurenm292014662402
    1/06/2015 - 01:31 p.m.

I think that this so impressive that Elena was the first. I personally thought that someone had already achieved this goal, but I know very little about bobsledding. Any who, this is another great example of feminism and I am very inspired by her commitment and dedication. I believe this could be a valuable lesson to everyone because, people tend to make excuses, for their "disabilities" (not that being a woman is a disability) and this showed you are capable to find a way to work around your problems.

• Katie5423
    1/06/2015 - 02:16 p.m.

I think that letting the woman bobsled with the men is great. It is a great way to show that girls and women can do all the things men can do and sometimes better. The ladies beat some of the guys, they were in 15th and the guys were in 16th. This makes me realize that not everyone thinks that guys are better than girls and it makes me feel happy. Even though they came in 15th it still shows that girls can do anything that guys do.

• Luca2002
    1/06/2015 - 02:23 p.m.

Today I am going to talk to you about the first women to be with men on a bobsled team. Their names were Elana Meyers Taylor and kaillie Humphries. This happened in the World Cup. Meyers Taylor teamed with Cherrelle garrett, their time was 1:51:7 to ain the race. This was the season openning at lake Placid, New York.

• kadenl-Eic
    1/06/2015 - 03:19 p.m.

I think that is so cool because i have never seen that before.I hope they can race each other for ever.I wonder if they will have it in x games.

• Colefishy618
    1/06/2015 - 05:49 p.m.

Elana Meyers Taylor and Kaillie Humphries have done a great thing for the world of sports. They are the first women to compete in the four person bobsled event in the World Cup. Because of these brave women, the International Bobsled and Skeleton Federation declared this event to be gender neutral so both men and women can compete in this event. Both women had very impressive times, Humphries was 48.87 seconds. With a time as fast like that, Elana and Kaillie show that men and women can be equal.

• NW2000Basketball
    1/07/2015 - 08:44 a.m.

It will stop being newsworthy when it starts to become a regular thing. Everything is newsworthy until it starts to happen more often. People get uninterested if you keep talking about the same thing on the news.

• RushiP-mai
    1/07/2015 - 04:08 p.m.

When this activity becomes popular which it is pretty quickly happening, this sport will be less newsworthy because they know everyone already knows what its about and who wins and all. The sports like football, basket, etc aren't gone because they have been here for so long that it will always pull through/

• AveryR-mai
    1/07/2015 - 04:10 p.m.

I liked this article on how they were not the first women to bobsled but courage other woman to bobsled! They may have not did the best but they proved that women can do
    bobsleding too.

• DhruviP-mai
    1/07/2015 - 04:28 p.m.

Women racing in four-man bobsled will no longer be newsworthy after more women do the same thing and it eventually becomes normal after about a few years.

I think it's great that women are racing in four-man bobsleds because everybody is human. Women should be able to do the same thing as men and men should be able to do do the same thing as women.