Hunters capture 1,000-pound gator A monster alligator weighing 1011.5 pounds measuring 15-feet long is pictured in Thomaston, Alabama (AP photos)
Hunters capture 1,000-pound gator

A group of Alabama hunters is celebrating the catch of a lifetime, a 15-foot-long alligator that weighed more than 1,000 pounds.

Jeff Dute of AL.com reports the monster gator was pulled from the water in south Alabama early Saturday during the state's alligator hunting season.

The gator is the largest ever legally killed by an Alabama hunter. It was caught by Mandy and John Stokes; Kevin Jenkins and his children, 16-year-old Savannah and 14-year-old Parker.

Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries Biologists had no trouble measuring the beast at 15 feet even. But they had to call for relief when trying to weigh it. The first attempt destroyed the winch assembly used to hoist most gators. So they used a backhoe to lift it and a biologist officially called the weight at 1,011.5 pounds.

Those dimensions easily make the Stokes gator the biggest ever killed in Alabama. An internet search suggests the Stokes gator may be the largest American alligator ever legally killed by a hunter.

In June, Safari Club International declared a 14-foot, 8-inch, 880-pound alligator killed in Chalk Creek near Lufkin, Texas by Justin Wells of Bossier City, La., in 2007 as the world record.

It's not clear which metric - length, weight or a combination of both - SCI used to make its declaration.

A September 2013 story on Outdoor Life's website tells the tale of a 13-foot, 9-inch, 1,100-pound gator killed by Drew Baker in Arkansas. Baker's gator is the Arkansas record. But the story makes no mention of it being in contention for world record status.

Stokes' gator measured 70.5 inches around the stomach, 46 inches around the base of the tail and had a 16-inch snout measurement.

Mandy Stokes' crew, including the teens, is made up of experienced woodsmen and women who regularly hunt the rural landscape near their home and fish the Alabama River. They enlisted help to load the gator on a trailer so it could be transported to the Roland Cooper State Park check station.

Mandy Stokes said the gator is scheduled to be taken to a taxidermy shop. But the Stokes are still weighing their options about what to do with it.

Critical thinking challenge: Why was it easier to measure the length than the weight?

• madisonm1-Men
    8/21/2014 - 09:32 a.m.

this story is very interesting i like reptiles and animals i thinks that's cool because the alligator is that big. I like the idea of it being 15 feet long and weights one thousand pounds!

• John0724-YYCA
    8/21/2014 - 09:42 p.m.

This article is kind of cool but is also really sick. That is pretty heavy and big for a gator. And the gator looks really cool. But I wonder how they killed such a heavy big gator. Maybe they just got a gun and kill it. I wonder what they are you doing to the alligator. But if I were them I would keep the alligator skin for myself.

• tybreland
    8/22/2014 - 08:47 a.m.

Amazing that they caught a huge gator. It was cool that they caught a huge gator. Also it is tefreaing that the gator is trying to get free,and you have tussle with it. I hope that get lot of money for what the did.

• MorganV-Moo
      8/22/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

That is the biggest alligator I've ever seen! I think those people are very lucky to catch something like that. I think it's amazing how they can get that big, I never knew they could be so large.

• PeytonC-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

This article interested me and surprised me. I didn't know that there were that big of alligators in Alabama. I think that it is a good thing that they took it out of the water because It was really big and over the height limit.

• JoshB-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 10:37 a.m.

This gator is huge and really cool. I would not feel comfortable near that gator because I would be scared that it would eat me. I also admire that you where brave and able to catch this giant gator. I think its cool how the gator measures 70.5 inches around the stomach u couldn't rap me around it!!

• CollinA-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:54 a.m.

That thing is huge! I hope I never have an encounter with something that big. It must have been a big struggle to get that thing on the trailer.

• KaylaL-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:54 a.m.

I am just glad that they caught the alligator before it caught them. I think that is the biggest alligator I have ever seen or heard of.

• NatalieK-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:55 a.m.

That's crazy! An alligator that huge is quite a trophy! I'm glad there is one less monster in the water. Alligators are cool and all, but not when they are trying to bite!

• KobiW-Moo
    8/22/2014 - 11:56 a.m.

This article was cool, because they found a big alligator. It was the biggest alligator recorded in Alabama. It was fifteen feet, and one thousand pounds.