How much Harry Potter stuff is enough? A team member shows off an interactive magic wand at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter-Diagon Alley in Orlando, Florida (Reuters)
How much Harry Potter stuff is enough?

A man is in Hogwarts heaven after his collection of "Harry Potter" memorabilia was named the world's largest.

Menahem Asher Silva Vargas of Mexico City has spent nearly 15 years hoarding all things related to British author J.K. Rowling's young-adult wizard-fantasy series, which spawned eight blockbuster films.

His collection fills two rooms and counts everything from magic wands and toy figurines to Gryffindor scarves and replica Quidditch brooms.

Guinness World Records officially recognized it Monday as the world No. 1, at 3,097 pieces. The old mark was 807.

Silva Vargas said he began with no intent to amass a huge collection. But soon it was like being under a spell.

He laughingly called his obsession both a blessing and a curse: "My salary, my bonuses ... it all ended up here."

Critical thinking challenge: If Menahem wasnt planning on creating such a big collection, how did it happen?

• JM2000Blue
    10/03/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

I think what happened was that he started out with a few memorabilia, then he started to collet little things here and there, in till one day his collection was how it is today.

• MS2000TACOS
    10/03/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

He might of not been thinking of making such a large collection, but it probably turned into an addiction. Once he starts, he can't stop. He probably only bought 5 items maybe 20 in the beginning, but then he couldn't help himself and had to buy more and more. Kind of like how people always want the new phones.

• SA2001orange
    10/03/2014 - 08:41 a.m.

I think that he didn't really think about making such a big pile of Harry Potter items. As he bought/collected them, they just ended up being in his house.

• addisonc-Weh
    10/03/2014 - 09:44 a.m.

I would love to see his collection. One reason I would like to see his collection is because the Harry Potter series is my favorite book. The second reason is because I have always dreamed of going to Orlando Studios to see the world of Harry Potter. This would almost be just like it. That is why I would like to see his collection.

• brennenw-Weh
    10/03/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

Menahem bought so much Harry Potter stuff. I think he collected different things and it turned into a hobby. Maybe he didn't realize that he had so much stuff and kept buying stuff. That's how he got so much Harry Potter stuff.

• willt-Weh
    10/03/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

The reason he probably started to make his collection big is because he probably started to read the books and he got more interested in them. It said that he had replica quidditch brooms, we'll quidditch is the number one sport in Harry Potter. It also says that he has wands so he might have collected those because he really like the books and the movies. In all it might have gotten big because of the books and the movies.

• willt-Weh
    10/03/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

• grants-Weh
    10/03/2014 - 09:52 a.m.

Menahem wasn't planing on creating such a big collection. I think that when she might have had maybe 100 things I think she just couldn't stop herself from finding more. Also I believe that she might not have realized how much Harry potter things she had. That's why I believe she wasn't planing on having a big collection.

• 9mlfischer
    10/03/2014 - 10:01 a.m.

He most likely started out with a couple small things that he really wanted, then he went back and saw more, and more things in windows, and on Ebay, and just thought that he wanted that, too. He saw something he liked, and he bought it.

• 9emvajdic
    10/03/2014 - 10:06 a.m.

I think that Menahem got carried away and as he became more interested his obsession grew bigger. He said, "it was like I was under a spell". Maybe he just got so interested he got carried away and the next thing he knew was he had two rooms full of everything from magic wands and toy figurines to Gryffindor scarves and replica.