How can a piece of glass be a piece of art? Artist Dale Chihuly created the "Mille Fiori" sculpture of glass. At left, a mixture of propane and liquid oxygen combine to heat glass (- AP photos)
How can a piece of glass be a piece of art?

A huge grin appears on the face of glass artist Jonathan Michael Davis. He is burning hole after hole through spheres of glass, making a popping sound.

Davis is a glassblower by trade. He uses a sabre of flame made of liquid oxygen and propane to manipulate glass into elaborate art and sculptures at his studio in rural Chatham County, North Carolina. That's near Pittsboro. The temperature from the torch in Davis' studio rises along with the anticipation of a large glass sculpture in the making.

On a recent day, Davis was preparing a large piece for the Sculpture in the Garden Exhibition at the North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill. His work, along with the work of other sculptors across the state, is integrated into the garden's outdoors environment.

"I've never done anything this big or expensive and time consuming before," Davis says of his new sculpture. "I wanted to kind of push myself, at least in my mind. If I put forth as much effort as I possibly can, that's going to be received in some way."

You can take a look at a gallery of images of Davis' work.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is Michael Davis motivated to push himself?

• JonathanAA-4
    9/30/2014 - 08:09 p.m.

This article is about how burning holes in glass can be seen as artwork. The artist that came up with this is named Jonathan Michael Davis. Davis quotes that I've never done anything this big or expensive and time-consuming before. He's now making sculptures for the Garden Exhibit in North Carolina. I think it is cool that he can burn small holes in glass and make it into art. I would like to see him do this live. I bet he makes a lot of money selling his sculptures all over the world. I also think it's pretty cool that you can get a good close-up picture of his art.

• LundyG-3
    9/30/2014 - 08:40 p.m.

Jonathan Michael Davis is a glassblowing artist. He is creating a huge masterpiece for an outdoor garden. This project is bigger than anything he has ever done. I really like the glass art because it's really cool to see how it's done. The glass turns out really beautifully and it's is so amazing.

• SeanK-3
    9/30/2014 - 09:18 p.m.

Jonathan Micheal Davis, a glass blower, made a piece of art by using a sabre of flame made of liquid oxygen and propane and a sphere of glass. He now is a glass artist and makes more money than ever before. Davis, recently, prepared a large art sculpture for the "Sculpture in the Garden Exhibition" at the North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill. Davis's motivation for all this art was that if he worked hard enough, he would get something out of it. In my opinion, I wouldn't like to do this type of art because i would get frustrated easily and when there is glass, there are accidents.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    9/30/2014 - 09:41 p.m.

I think this is cool because I had never heard of burning gas from liquid oxygen and propane. Wouldn't they explode? Well, if Mr. Davis used it to create the glass sculpture, then I guess is that it would not explode. How long did it take to create the sculpture? I think this took at least more than 3 months to do because glassblowing a sculpture that big can take a long time to create.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: Why is Michael Davis motivated to push himself?
    Answer: Michael Davis is motivated to push himself because maybe he wanted to create a sculpture that would stand out more than other sculptures in the North Carolina Botanical Garden. Another reason is that he wanted to create a challenge for himself.

• smt0415love
    10/01/2014 - 08:40 a.m.

Michael Davis pushed himself because in his mind he kept on pushing himself to get threw it. Another reason why he liked glass so much because its creative to use in sculptures.

• jiminyg-Tho
    10/01/2014 - 11:57 a.m.

I think that Davis is push himself because he want something to happen with his life and do something he loves . I think he also likes to make art . Maybe he was push his whole life to set a goal and achieve his goal for life.

• rainm-Tho
    10/01/2014 - 12:00 p.m.

I think michael davis is a great person because of his statement so he must push him self to be a great person witch is hard to do

• connorb-Tho
    10/01/2014 - 12:02 p.m.

I think it's tat because he wants to go to his limits to make elabrent art. I also think that if he wants to make something he will not stop making it until he's done . Which I can see in a perfect view because when I will start an art project I wont stop making it until it's done.

• haileywo-Tho
    10/01/2014 - 12:03 p.m.

Because a lot of people might of liked his class art and it inspired Michael to work more hard and make another beautiful peice of art

• taylorr-Tho
    10/01/2014 - 12:04 p.m.

so he works hard he never give up so he can do a lot of stuf he also made it on glass he also sent a
    peace of it to north carolina