Halloween goes to the dogs in New York City Brooks, an Irish Wolfhound arrives dressed as the Big Bad Wolf, with his family accompanying him as the Three Little Pigs, at the Tompkins Square Halloween Dog Parade presented by Purina Beggin' on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015 in New York. (Jason DeCrow/Invision for Purina Beggin'/AP Images/Mary Altaffer)
Halloween goes to the dogs in New York City

A park went to the dogs in a grand way on Saturday. It hosted what was billed as the nation's largest Halloween dog parade. It had hundreds of dogs accepting their owners' wish to see them in costumes. They were dressed as superheroes, dinosaurs and the pope.

Thousands of people lapped it up. They mingled with nearly 300 four-legged contestants around a stage in Manhattan's Tompkins Square Park. Every imaginable breed was paraded one by one to preen before judges. They were hoping for a Best in Show award at the 25th annual outing. It raises money for the park's dog run.

Manhattan resident Robert Krzywicki watched dozens of people sneak pictures of his dachshund, Daisy Mae. She was dressed from head to tail in a Stegosaurus dinosaur suit.

"For the day, she's like a movie star," he said.

The prize was won by some Dallas contestants. They tapped into the Halloween spirit with a Day of the Dead-themed presentation. It included two Chihuahuas and a Yorkshire terrier. Last year, a doggy version of Rose and Jack from the movie "Titanic" took the title.

This year, there were all types of dinosaurs. Perhaps they were taking advantage of the excitement generated by the recent release of the "Jurassic World" film. There were also dogs posing as an alligator, a dragon, a fisherman and characters from "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Flintstones." One dog was with a woman wearing a nun's habit. The dog was dressed as Pope Francis.

Some dogs' costumes were outdone only by those of their owners.

Bronx resident Andrea Pagan was decked out as Wonder Woman. So was her Boston terrier guide dog, Imani, who is a bit of a hero in real life. The dog protects Pagan from potential accidents resulting from disabilities.

"I want to scoop them and love them," she said.

Not only were the more than 275 participating dogs not barking up the wrong tree in the park surrounded by dog lovers, they mostly weren't barking at all. That was no surprise to Krzywicki, who watched Daisy Mae shy away from the affection of strangers. He suggested stage fright had set in.

"She's pretending she doesn't know me," Krzywicki said. "She's saying, 'Help! Somebody adopt me! Look what he made me do!'"

Why do people put their dogs in costumes?

• lucasd-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 05:00 p.m.

People put their dogs in costumes to win awards and raise money. Paragraph two states that the best dog costume would get an award and it helped raised money for a dog run. This was an interesting and cute article, and I hope L.A does something like that to!

• taylorl-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 05:53 p.m.

For Halloween people put their dogs in costumes because they see them as a member of the family and they want them to have fun also. I chose this article because I found it interesting and could relate to it. In my family we dress our dog Jerry for Halloween. This year he is going to be a frog.

• faithd-ren
      1/05/2016 - 10:33 a.m.

I agree with your comment. It is cute that you are dressing you dog up. I can't because my dog is too big. I recently got a puppy! I love dogs, do you? I totally think that they want the puppy to be part of the enjoyable holiday. Isn't it cute that they have a theme for their costume!

• yuaw-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 05:55 p.m.

In paragraph 1, it states that owners put their dog in costumes because they wished to see that in theses outfits and also because in paragraph 2 it says that they were hoping for a Best in Show Award that raises money for the park's dog run.
    I thought this article was very cute and adorable. I decided to read this because when the article first popped up on the screen, the pug in the spider costume caught my eye. This article made me want to see all of the dogs in the competition, especially the two dogs dressed up at rose and jack in the movie "titanic".

• tialden-1-bar
    10/29/2015 - 06:11 p.m.

People put their dogs in costumes because they want to celebrate the Halloween spirit. As stated in the article, 300 dogs were dressed into to costumes at a Dog Parade in New York because there was a contest for the best dog costume. They do these contests to raise funds and to also bring people into the Halloween spirit. I found this article very cool because I've never heard of a dog costume contest.

• brianag-6-bar
    10/29/2015 - 06:51 p.m.

People put their dogs in costumes for humor and also because they want to put a smile on someones face.As its says in the passage "Danielle Williams is from Port Chester. She walked excitedly by dozens of colorfully costumed dogs and said she wanted to pet them all." I chose this article because I am in love with cute and adorable dogs dressed in costumes.

• briannt-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 08:13 p.m.

People put their dogs in costumes for the Halloween Dog Parade in Manhattan, New York. In the first paragraph it says,"A park went to the dogs in a grand way on Saturday. It hosted what was billed as the nation's largest Halloween dog parade. It had hundreds of dogs accepting their owners' wish to see them in costumes." Also, "It raises money for the park's dog run." I choose this article because it was so cute that Manhattan, New York actually has a Halloween Dog Parade and my dog is going to be dinosaur for Halloween. But, his costume isn't going to be that glamorous as the dogs costumes in New York because his costume is from the dollar section at Target.

• miral-6-bar
    10/29/2015 - 08:29 p.m.

People dress up their dogs to win prizes, to honor their dog, to raise money or just for fun! "For the day, she's like a movie star," said a Manhattan resident about his dog. this shows that people like to make their animals feel special. "It raises money for the park's dog run." this quote from the text also tells how the parade helps benefit the park.

I enjoyed this article because it was funny how the animals were treated as celebrities and because I love animals.

• John0724-YYCA
    10/29/2015 - 09:09 p.m.

I almost thought that the dog in the picture looked so alike a spider that I thought it was a dog with a lot of legs. I think that they shouldn't be dressing up because it might make the feel miserable. I think that they should wear something comfortable.

• caymanm-2-bar
    10/29/2015 - 09:14 p.m.

People put their dogs in costumes because halloween is coming and its a halloween dog parade. Many people did it for the Best in Show award which raises money the park's dog run. The article says "they were hoping for the best in show award at the 25th annual outing, it raises money for the park's dog run." I thought this article was funny because 300 dogs were in costumes at a park.