Give me an N. Give me a Y. (for a the highest bid) This photo shows the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York (AP photos)
Give me an N. Give me a Y. (for a the highest bid)

Some very big, familiar pieces of New York City sports history are going on the auction block, courtesy of a baseball star.

The 10-foot high letters spelled "Yankee Stadium." They were atop the original Bronx ballpark. Now they are being offered for sale at Sotheby's on April 1. The auction house has estimated that the letters will sell for $300,000 to $600,000.

The owner is Yankee legend Reggie Jackson.

Jackson's nickname is Mr. October. That's because of his performances during World Series games in that month. Jackson bought the letters after the Yankees' last game at the stadium in 2008. They had adorned the ballpark, which was built in 1923, since 1976. So they were there when Jackson hit three consecutive home runs in the sixth game of the 1977 World Series.

The 68-year-old Hall of Famer currently is at spring training with the Yankees in Tampa, Florida. He said through Sotheby's that he wanted "a new generation to own and enjoy this icon of the Yankees and of New York City."

"There were a few items I wanted to purchase before the old Yankee Stadium was torn down," he said. Those included his locker and a section of the bleachers where blacks were once forced to sit. "But I kept thinking about the stadium lettering, and if there was any way for me to own it. I ended up making an offer and was thrilled when it was accepted. It's been a privilege to own such a recognizable piece of baseball history."

Sotheby's would not say how much Jackson paid for the letters.

Potential buyers will have to think about where to put the monumental letters. They range from 2 to 10 feet in width. They light up electric blue. They are constructed of aluminum casing with Plexiglas inserts.

The "N'' and "Y'' will be displayed on the seventh floor of Sotheby's Manhattan galleries beginning March 26.

They will be part of Sotheby's "New York Sale" auction. It will include photos, prints, jewelry and other city-related material.

Critical thinking challenge: Why might Sotheby's be reluctant to say how much Jackson paid for the letters?

• Jamarion1028
    3/24/2015 - 11:53 a.m.

He probably said that to tell how much they are worth a letter so they can see if someone paid more or less than how much he paid for them.

• JackR-5
    3/24/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

Pieces from the Bronx stadium are being sold. The letters of the original sign is being sold. There is also other parts from the city being sold. These include jewelry and newspapers. These pieces will be very expensive. Seats from where black people had to sit are also being sold. I think it would be very neat to have a piece of history like that. If it wasn't so expensive, I would want one!

• DC1024Kaiser
    3/24/2015 - 01:01 p.m.

I am wondering who is going to buy the stadium and how much for it? who ever buy it should know at least what hey are suppose to do.

• BrookeW-Kut
    3/24/2015 - 03:18 p.m.

This was very interesting! I think it's really cool how they are letting Yankees fans purchase the letters! Now they can have a piece of the stadium to keep for themselves, and show their pride for the favorite baseball team! But, this could be a problem. The last game played in the Yankee Stadium was 7 years ago. Some Yankee fans may be excited about being able to purchase letters. But some may be mad because the Yankee Stadium could be important, as many great games were played there. Some fans may be upset because of that. And for the critical thinking challenge, I think that Sotheby's did not want to tell anyone about how much Jackson paid for the letters, because some people may be mad if they found out that he paid more or less then they may be paying to buy a letter. Cool topic though! I wonder who will get the letters, and I also wonder which letter people will want to pay the most amount of money for!

• carterma-And
    3/24/2015 - 03:35 p.m.

They might be reluctant to say anything because the people might be mad because the letters might have sold for way too much or way to less this would be a good reason.

• zacharyk-And
    3/24/2015 - 03:40 p.m.

This article is about the letters N and Y for the Yankee stadium being sold they estimate that they will be sold for up to 600,000 dollar that is what this article is about.

• setha-And
    3/24/2015 - 03:45 p.m.

Sotheby's might be reluctant to say how much he paid because some people will be mad on how much he paid when he maybe could have got something fixed with the stadium.

• darrenh-And
    3/24/2015 - 03:52 p.m.

hey guys this is what this thing is about it is about what it is about like biggest action bid yall thats what I gooda say no live it and love.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    3/24/2015 - 07:19 p.m.

I think that the old Yankee Stadium shouldn't be torn down because it may look old and should be torn down but it still looks really cool by the title at the way top of the Yankee Stadium which was lighted with blue lights. Well if the owner doesn't want the Yankee Stadium to be torn down, I think that people need to change their mind about demolishing the Yankee Stadium.

• MaxM-4
    3/24/2015 - 09:17 p.m.

The 10-foot high letters spelled that spelled "Yankee Stadium" at the original Bronx ballpark are being sold. The auction house selling them estimated that the letters will sell for $300,000 to $600,000. Reggie Jackson bought the letters after the Yankees' last game at the stadium in 2008. The letters range from 2 to 10 feet in width, light up electric blue, and are constructed out of aluminum and Plexiglas.
    I thought this article was pretty cool. I'm not a baseball fan and I've never been to New York, but having one of those letters would be cool. I would struggle to find a place for them though.