Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles! An inflated Rubber Duck by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman floats on the Kunming Lake at the Summer Palace in Beijing, China, and Los Angeles at left (Reuters)
Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles!

The Port of Los Angeles is welcoming an unusual visitor, the world's biggest bath toy.

A 60-foot-tall rubber duck sailed into port Wednesday to kick off the Tall Ships Festival LA and it was to remain in the harbor through Sunday.

Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman first showed off his duck in 2007 and since then, versions of it have been seen worldwide. Hofman's creation was part of a tour named "Spreading joy around the world," where the artist wanted those who see the giant duck to recall their childhood memories.

The giant duck is made of PVC and has more than 200 pieces. The staff for the duck can go inside through an opening in the back and an electric fan is inside so the duck can be inflated.

The giant duck has traveled the world, including the Netherlands, England, Australia, Brazil and China. The first American city it visited was Pittsburgh and next was Norfolk, Va.

Hofman has built a new duck for most locations and the artist's website says little about his intent. But it says the duck knows no borders, does not discriminate and has no political allegiance. "The friendly, floating Rubber Duck has healing properties: it can relieve mondial tensions as well as define them," the website claims.

Critical thinking challenge: Can a giant, inflatable yellow duck be art? And if it is art, what does it mean?

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    8/25/2014 - 09:32 p.m.

I think this is cool because the person who created the giant rubber ducky, has created more of them so it can visit places like China, Brazil, Virginia, etc. I also think this is cool because of the way people's minds get cleared from their distractions and looking at it makes them feel comforted. This is a major inspiration to the people of the world because it helps people forget about their worries. I think the rubber ducky should visit poor countries like Africa, Philippines, Vietnam, etc.
    Critical Thinking Challenge: Can a giant, inflatable yellow duck be art? And if it i art, what does it mean?
    Answer: Ye, a giant, inflatable rubber ducky can be a work of art because it took a lot of time to create, it is creative, and it is inspirational to other people. I think the rubber ducky means that over the years people changed a lot and the rubber ducky is there to remind the people of their childhoods and it brings back memories when they were younger.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    8/26/2014 - 10:49 p.m.

The giant rubber ducky floats at the port of long beach but it wasn't really a rubber ducky, it was a person controlling inside the rubber ducky and the rubber ducky was traveling all over the world so everybody in the world wants to see the sixty feet rubber ducky. The man that is controlling the rubber ducky was traveling in the rivers and oceans for peoples to see,but some people reports the giant rubber ducky into t.v from all over the world to see the inflatable duck.

• mariajose03
    8/27/2014 - 12:50 p.m.

I believe that a giant, inflatable yellow duck can be art because it has been created for a purpose and it integrates the creators feelings and emotions. In this case the artist wants to recall his childhood memories, maybe it also brings memories from childhood to most people.

There are several visions of art, it depends on different points of view. For some people art is painting, drawing, sculptures, dancing, singing, photography, etc. Every person can define what art is, it is not a rigid definition, it just depends on every person. For me art is every activity in which you can create something important and meaningful for you or for the world. It is when you put all your effort and emotions in the creation of something. People who make art try to show their vision of the world through their pieces of art.

• jzavala0623
    8/28/2014 - 05:10 p.m.

I enjoyed the article it was huge I think a giant would have that in his bathtub. That makes my makes remember when is was a little kid and I would play with my rubber ducky.

• ozaragoza0623
    8/28/2014 - 05:10 p.m.

I think its pretty cool if they made something like that but you can ride it now that would be awsome to ride it.

• angelasl-Stu
    8/29/2014 - 08:58 a.m.

I think that it's cool that the duck is made of more then 200 pieces. The duck is making everyone happy! The duck has traveled a long way.

• Jessica2017
    8/29/2014 - 11:16 a.m.

I think its nice cause if your having a bad day then that will make you smile. Plus kid with cancer could see it and fell the warmth and happiness that it will bring them.

• KarinaSandoval
    8/31/2014 - 08:52 p.m.

Submitted by KarinaSandoval on Sunday, 08/31/2014 - 20:51.
    Summary:
    A very big duck has been created to being shown in many countries of the world.Netherlands, England, Australia, Brazil and China are some of them. The author of this great and amazing art is Florentijn Hofman who showed off his duck in 2007 and since then, versions of it have been worldwide. This art was made from PVC.
    Opinion:
    I think this huge child toy can express the amazing and beautiful moments recolected in the artist childhood. Without doubt it is art, it could give an enormous effect on people. If I would see it, I would be so glad to admire the biggest duck in the world. It could be so funny and cool.
    On the other hand I cant imagine how much money and time he spent on this proyect. However everyone would like make a dream real.

• CristinaAcuna
    8/31/2014 - 09:19 p.m.

The article was about a giant rubber duck, this duck was made by Florentijn Hofman, a Dutch artist. The bath toy is made of PVC and has more than 200 pieces. In the back has an opening for the staff and an electric fan. This duck was in the Port of Los Angeles, to kick off the Tall Ships Festival. The giant duck have been in Englad, Australia, Netherlands, China and Brazil.

I liked this article, since I hope to see one day something wonderful like this giant duck. When I was reading this article, I remembered the giant doll that was in Santiago. I think this kind of things make children and adults happy.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/02/2014 - 09:15 p.m.

I am very surprised that a rubber duck invaded some countries. I think the people who were on the dock were very frightened and surprised when the rubber duck came to the dock. Imagine, when I saw the rubber duck on the dock I would be frightened. I don't think anybody is going to believe that a rubber duck was on the dock. The reason why is because a rubber duck can't go that far.