Get some face time with Lady Liberty Youngsters gather for a photo on a life-size replica of the toes for the Statue of Liberty, inside its museum, Thursday, Nov. 5, 2015, Liberty Island, N.Y. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews/Kathy Willens)
Get some face time with Lady Liberty

A full-scale copper model of Lady Liberty's face is the first thing that greets visitors to the museum in the base of the Statue of Liberty.

The face gives visitors a chance to get up close and personal with an aspect of the statue that otherwise looms far out of reach. But, it's available to only a limited number of visitors. The museum is open only to those who have tickets to the pedestal or the crown.

The National Park Service wants to change that. It has proposed building a larger museum on Liberty Island. It would be available to all of the roughly 4 million annual visitors to the site. Now, just 20 percent or so have statue tickets.

"We'd like to make the visit as enriching as possible," said John Piltzecker. He is superintendent of the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island. He shared the opening of public comment on the idea, among the first steps to making it a reality.

The next step would be working with a private foundation to raise money for the planned 20,000-square-foot museum. No federal dollars would be used for the project. Piltzecker didn't have a figure on what the project could cost. But he was hopeful the museum would open in three to five years.

The park service has a location in mind. It is on the northwest side of the island somewhat away from the entrance to the statue. The park service even has started thinking about what would go in it.

One possibility would be the original torch. It currently greets visitors in the pedestal lobby since it was removed in 1984. The material that's in the current museum covers the history of the statue as well as how it was made. It would also make the move. That would include the giant face, as well as a model of the statue's foot. Exhibits looking at the models and molds used to create Lady Liberty would also be included.  The Statue was a gift from France for the American centennial.

Eileen Gormley was visiting from Princeton, New Jersey. She said having access to the museum was important. "This part here is very important and very informative and to just walk up and look at it, you don't get any of the background and history."

Michael Miller, of El Dorado Hills, California, agreed.

"It brings it to life," he said. "It helps to make the seeing of the image itself more meaningful."

Why do officials want to create a new museum?

• aaroncs-wes
    11/24/2015 - 09:11 a.m.

I think that it is cool because I did not know that their was a museum in the lady liberty and people use to go and take there kids thats cool.

• wilsoash3-dil
      4/04/2016 - 03:26 p.m.

I didn't know that either, but it is pretty cool.

• rachelh-612-
    11/24/2015 - 09:54 a.m.

I think officials want to give people the chance to see the statue of liberty in a closer way, especially if they don't have tickets to the already built lower statue exhibit. Officials want everyone to experience this magnificent structure, up close.

• camdenc-ver
    11/24/2015 - 02:47 p.m.

I didn't know that the torch was replaced so I thought that was cool. I think that museum is a good idea and I think it should be open to the public without a ticket so people can learn facts and get smarter without having to pay more for a ticket to get into the statue and the museum.

• sidneyh-wes
    11/24/2015 - 02:53 p.m.

Yes i would ride in a canoe And this store was good but it was kinda scary

• annabel1226-yyca
    11/24/2015 - 05:17 p.m.

Finally someone is getting famous. People didn't really look at Lady Liberty for a while. Now they are looking at her and taking picture of her. I really want to go up the stairs and see the view from the window. I think it will be amazing to see New York from the high place. I hope that one day I would go there with my mom and dad. I think my family and I will have a great time. I think the pictures going to be a special memory to my family.

• william1108-yyca
    11/24/2015 - 06:06 p.m.

WOW! That is so cool. But I have already been to New York and I have seen the statue of liberty. I wish that I can go on the crown or torch if people can. But I have only been up to the legs. I forgot where I went. But I wish that I can see it when it was first brown. So that I can see how the color looked in real life. But being up there was really cool. I felt the fresh air. I wish that I can go there again someday. And also to go to the crown to see a better view.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    11/24/2015 - 07:07 p.m.

I think a new museum is necessary because there could be no space to visit the current museum since there will be a lot of visitors. Building another one could free up space since people will be going to the other museum. It would be bad if people have to be excluded.
    Why do officials want to create a new museum?
    Officials want to create a new museum because they want to make more space to visit.

• k'lap-
    11/25/2015 - 08:46 a.m.

It's only available for a limited number of people and these people have to have tickets.

• allisonz-612-
    11/26/2015 - 11:16 a.m.

The visitors who want to see the face of the statue of liberty up close can't because it has limited number of visitors. They can only see it if they have a ticket to the crown or pedestal, so they want to make it bigger because now 20% or so have tickets so they want all 4 million people that come annually can see it to.