Frozen Fever, take two? Elsa the Snow Queen (AP photos)
Frozen Fever, take two?

Let it go (on)!

The Walt Disney Co. has announced plans to make a sequel to the animated mega-hit "Frozen."

Disney didn't announce any details on the sequel's plot or a release date. But directors Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck will return.

Bob Iger, Walt Disney Co. chief executive and John Lasseter, head of Walt Disney Animation Studios, joined in officially announcing "Frozen 2," They were at the company's annual shareholders meeting. It was held in San Francisco.

"We enjoyed making Frozen Fever so much and being back in that world with those characters," said Lasseter. "We're taking you back to Arendelle."

Though a sequel was always only a matter of time, fans have waited eagerly for the announcement. Most big box-office hits generate sequel announcements within weeks of opening.

But any delay in a "Frozen" sequel has been easily assuaged by the film's unabated popularity. "Frozen" is by far the biggest grossing animated film ever. Its soundtrack, led by Idina Menzel's "Let it Go," remains ubiquitous. A "Frozen" short is to play in front of Disney's latest release, the live-action "Cinderella."

Josh Gad, the voice of the snowman Olaf, will be returning for the sequel. No other returning characters were announced.

At the shareholders meeting, Disney also announced a release date for "Star Wars: Episode VIII": May 26, 2017. Rian Johnson ("Looper") is confirmed to write and direct.

Critical thinking challenge: Who stands to gain the most from "Frozen 2," and why?

• AliviaP-Mau
    3/17/2015 - 11:26 a.m.

why would they make part two :/ part one EVERY one liked and after that people would say let it go let it go i hate this movie and song and almost every one hated it and with all that money they made on the first one it probably means they wont make any money thats even close to what they made on the first one but only person i know that likes it is my brother he will sing let it go let it go then he will start blabbing out random words because he only knows let it go let it go and i just do not think that anyone will buy it other than my brother at least asking for it

• briw-boo
    3/17/2015 - 11:34 a.m.

A lot of people have been waiting for the sequel. It's a good movie for a family. It's funny, musical, magical, and fun for everybody. I personally like the movie.

• kyrap-boo
    3/17/2015 - 11:38 a.m.

Disney is the one gaining the most from this movie because it is a Disney movie. Frozen (the first one) was a huge success and landed them a lot of money. Frozen 2 is thought to follow in the original's footsteps.

• tanaizham-boo
    3/17/2015 - 11:45 a.m.

We enjoyed making Frozen Fever so much and being back in that world with those characters," said Lasseter. "We're taking you back to Arendelle."The sequel had been widely expected. The film has become a powerful force for Disney. Since its release in November 2013, "Frozen" has made nearly $1.3 billion globally at the box office. It also generated massive sales of related merchandise. And it won the Academy Award for best animated feature.

• 21mmrobi
    3/17/2015 - 12:12 p.m.

I think frozen was a good movie but not one that I could watch over and over again. I think a lot of people will be happy to see another frozen and hope it gets as popular as the first did.

• 21eestew@gladstone.k12.mi.us
    3/17/2015 - 12:12 p.m.

This will be awesome! Serenity will love this! Frozen was a good movie, and I think the sequel will be as good as the movie. I am pretty sicced. I know Serenity is.

• RachelL-2
    3/17/2015 - 12:13 p.m.

This article is about the directors of Frozen announcing that there will be a sequel! The original movie "Frozen" did so well in the box-office (it made 1.3 billion) that Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck decided it was time to make another! The exciting news was announced in San Francisco at the company's annual shareholders meeting. It was also announced that Josh Gad, the amazing voice of Olaf the snowman will be returning for the sequel, but we're unsure about any other characters. I personally think that this is a great idea and Frozen should have a sequel, because it's one of Disney's greatest hits, and everyone is in love with it!

• 21mmcrow
    3/17/2015 - 12:13 p.m.

I can't wait for Frozen 2 to come out because it was a funny movie and adorable too. I think Ahna and Chis are going to get married and that would be cute. They should make a guy for Elsa!

• 21cmhaas
    3/17/2015 - 12:13 p.m.

I think it's pretty sweet that they are probably making a Frozen 2. I can't wait to see it but the bummer is that Frozen Fever is barely a movie, It's not even big enough to be an episode in a show, but I still think it's pretty cool.

• 21ikvanb
    3/17/2015 - 12:15 p.m.

I think that Frozen 2 will be a big hit. I'm most positive that the original Frozen was Disney's biggest hit. A sequel is undoubtedly a really smart decision if the first movie has made 1.3 billion dollars.