Frenchman and his cat make daring leap to safety from storm-tossed sailboat In this frame from video provided by the U.S. Coast Guard, a Frenchman with his cat tucked inside his clothing, at right, stands on his sailboat before making a leap Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2015, jumping to a waiting rescue ship, left, south of Alaska. The video shows the Frenchman on the rigging pole near the bow of his sailboat, riding wave after wave until making a dramatic leap over the railing of the Tor Viking. (Coast Guard via AP)
Frenchman and his cat make daring leap to safety from storm-tossed sailboat

A Frenchman with his cat tucked inside his clothing made a daring leap of faith.  It came when he jumped to a waiting rescue ship from his sailboat. His vessel was being battered by high seas south of Alaska.

The Coast Guard captured the dramatic video from a C-130 Hercules airplane.  It was monitoring the Oct. 20 rescue. The man's identity hasn't been released. But Petty Officer Lauren Steenson in Kodiak said the sailboat was named La Chimere.

The man activated a location beacon Oct. 20. It was about 400 miles south of Cold Bay, Alaska. The C-130 was dispatched to assess the situation.

The airplane crew made radio contact with the mariner.  He reported his 30-foot sailboat lost its rudder and rigging in heavy seas and 46-mph winds.

"With the 20-foot seas, his boat is getting pretty well thrown around," she said.

He had no control. And the boat was "pretty much dead in the water," adrift in high seas.

The Coast Guard made contact with the Polar Pioneer.  It is an oil-drilling vessel used by Royal Dutch Shell off Alaska's northwest coast this summer. The ship and support vessels were nearby as they make their way back to Port Angeles, Washington.

The Polar Pioneer sent a support ship, the Tor Viking, to rescue the sailor.

Video shot by the Coast Guard shows the Frenchman on the rigging pole near the bow of his sailboat.  He was riding wave after wave until making a dramatic leap over the railing of the Tor Viking.

The video shows the man disappearing behind the railing head first with his legs last to disappear behind the Tor Viking's railing. After a few seconds, a crewmember of the Tor Viking is seen walking toward the man. He then was able to stand up.

Steenson said the pilot of the C-130 told her the sailor placed his cat inside either his sweater or coat. This was done before making the leap.

Once the man was safely aboard the Tor Viking, the Coast Guard marked the position of the sailboat for future reference.

It wasn't immediately clear if the man would continue with the Shell ships to Washington State.

The sailboat left Dutch Harbor, Alaska, on Oct. 13. It was headed to Vancouver. Steenson said reports didn't indicate if his final destination was Vancouver in Washington or British Columbia.

Why didn't the airplane rescue the sailor?

• calebr-
    10/28/2015 - 03:36 p.m.

hope fully they made or if they did yeeeeeee

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    10/28/2015 - 08:46 p.m.

I think this is cool because this was very dangerous to do. If he did not jump the "leap of faith", then he may have drifted away from the rescue boat. It was a very brave thing to do and I am amazed by it. Anything could have been possible when he made the jump.
    Why didn't the airplane rescue the sailor?
    Answer: The airplane didn't rescue the sailor because the winds were too strong.

• annabel1226-yyca
    10/28/2015 - 09:58 p.m.

I think the man was really lucky, he couldn't have make it. Wow, couldn't the airplane notice the sailor? Almost every airplane does that, I think... If I were them I would just notice it quickly because my eyesight are good. I still can't believe why the airplane left him alone. Without that cat and the man he would have been dead. I hope pilots could concentrate everywhere. They had to concentrate everywhere because even drivers just look forward and does not notice anything. For example, someone waves at them, but they don't notice it. It always happens to me.

• briannt-3-bar
    10/28/2015 - 11:21 p.m.

The didn't rescue the sailor because the airplane was told not to. In the third paragraph, last sentence says,"The C-130 was dispatched to assess the situation." I choose this article because I was worried about the cat. Also, when reading the article I saw the words Port Angeles, Washington it reminded me of the Twilight series that was taken place in Forks, Washington and when Bella's friends want to go to Port Angeles to get a prom dress but she went to a book store instead.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    10/28/2015 - 11:49 p.m.

I think that this should have been dangerous for the man on the sailboat to make a dramatic leap onto the rescue vessel that will rescue the sailor with his cat tucked in his coat or jacket just for the cat to not get wet. The man could have drowned and wet his cat because if the rescue vessel didn't arrive in time, then the sailboat would have tipped over and the sailor would have drowned with his cat.
    Critical Thinking Question: Why didn't the airplane rescue the sailor?
    Answer: The airplane didn't rescue the sailor because the airplane isn't a seaplane that could land in the ocean and rescue the sailor from the raging seas.

• william1108-yyca
    10/29/2015 - 08:22 p.m.

WOW! I can't believe that there was a sailor and a cat inside his clothing. I am sure that when I am riding a boat maybe I will first check the weather if it is okay. So whenever my dad or my parents plan to go on a boat or sailing trip maybe I will check the weather first if it is okay.

• jilliand-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 08:22 p.m.

The airplane didn't rescue the sailor because it was recording the event. In the text it says, "The Coast Guard captured the dramatic video from a C-130 Hercules airplane. It was monitoring the Oct. 20 rescue." Since the plane was monitoring the rescue, it couldn't fly down and help the Frenchman. I thought it was interesting to see that the Frenchman made his cat a priority. I am against animal abuse and I am happy to see his actions show kindness to animals.

• johnd-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 09:16 p.m.

The plane did not rescue the sailor. The article stated " The C-130 was dispatched to access the situation." it was sent to view the situation. it was not sent to rescue the man. It was not prepared to make a rescue. That is why it didn't rescue the man and his cat.

It was a very interesting article.

• markm-3-bar
    10/29/2015 - 11:23 p.m.

The airplane Maybe didn't rescue the sailor because it might've been too windy or the seas were too choppy and dangerous.In these situations they have to be careful with their own lives.
    The article was very very interesting because of the intense and thrilling information they gave us. "With the 20 foot seas,his boat is getting pretty well tossed around." She said. This quote shows how high the seas were and that his boat did, in fact get thrown around a lot and it was really rough out out there.

• brandons-day
    10/30/2015 - 02:14 p.m.

I am very glad the cat and this man are both okay. I care much more so about the cat and i'm glad he grabbed his cat when he made this leap. Its crazy how they got there so fast and a rescued him. I wonder if it would of been different if he didn't make the leap and if both of them would have survived.