Fishermen catch 500-pound sawfish (Wikimedia Commons)
Fishermen catch 500-pound sawfish

You may never have seen a fish like this. It's called a sawfish and it's pretty easy to know why.

One was caught off Boynton Beach, Florida last weekend. According to TV station WSVN and reported on AOL.com, Dustin Richter and his friends weren't even planning to go out fishing that morning. But now they sure are happy they did. The sawfish is pretty aptly named. Its long snout features razor-sharp teeth on either side, closely resembling a saw. The fish use their snouts to dig through the ocean floor or cut their prey in half.

Sawfish are currently listed on the endangered species list. Richter and his friends released their sawfish back into the ocean after reeling it in.

National Geographic says the sawfish was added to the list in 2003 and became the first U.S. marine fish to receive such protection. The sawfish population had already dwindled to just 5 percent of what it was when Christopher Columbus came to the New World in 1492.

The National Wildlife Federation says the sawfish are most likely dying out because it's very easy for their saw-like snouts to get tangled up in fishing nets. Their snouts are then dried and sold as an ingredient in folk recipes for asthma in some countries.

But calling Sunday's catch "rare" might not be accurate, considering two other sawfish have been caught in Florida in the past two months.

Critical thinking challenge: Why are there fewer sawfish now than in 1492?

• videodude2012
    5/28/2014 - 06:55 a.m.

That's cool that Dustin Richter and his friends caught a saw-fish, I wonder if there's some in the Gulf of Mexico. Plus, he's so lucky that he got to see one, I haven't seen one in my life.

• 21pouz
    5/28/2014 - 08:55 a.m.

I've seen a lot of fish in my life but nothing like this it is a very cool fish it is called a swordfish but the pointy things aren't swords they are teeth do you wonder why they are flat on the bottom, ? It's because they swim along the bottom of the ocean and they are pretty fast swimmers too. I wouldn't warn one of them comming at me when I'm at the beach!! :-D

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    5/28/2014 - 08:03 p.m.

I think that the saw fish was really ugly because it has a long tail and it has a long face that is really long. I think that the fish is really cool because it is really cool. I think that the topic I really cool because it takes about a fish. I think that having a fish caught like this is really cool because it has been a long time since a saw fish has been seen. I think that is really cool to have people find these animals in the water.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
    5/28/2014 - 08:21 p.m.

I think this is cool because sawfish are rare because they live on the riverbed so they are hard to catch, unless their snouts get caught in a fishing net. This is a random and lucky catch because very few people catch sawfish in their nets.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why are there fewer sawfish now than in 1492?
    Answer: There are fewer sawfish now than in 1492 because sawfish are accidentally caught in fishing nets and theit snouts are dried and sold as an ingredient in folk recipes for asthma in some countries.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    5/28/2014 - 08:56 p.m.

I think that the sawfish should get more protection. I think that the sawfish should get a huge pool to live in and then get take cared of because if they are going to die because of a fisher's net I don't think that it would be fair for the fishes to die from a fish net. I also think that the sawfish shouldn't be called rare because if 3 people were able to find it in 2 months, I don't think that it should be called rare.
    Critical thinking challenge: Why are there fewer sawfish now than in 1492?
    Answer: There are fewer sawfish now than in 1492 because they have been dieting from fish nets.

• KAYREA-ZDE
    5/28/2014 - 10:19 p.m.

There are fewer sawfish today because of all the careless people that don't take care of the fishing gear that they use. Florida is a great place to find fish are rare as the sawfish. Florida has the idea ecosystem for these types of fish.

• spcorb01
    5/29/2014 - 09:44 a.m.

The person who caught the sawfish should put it back were they found it.Its a very pretty fish that belongs to a place were thay can be free.

• TIMMYM-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 10:59 a.m.

That's pretty cool, finding a rare fish when they were fishing. Good thing they put the saw fish back into the water because there endanger species and they are getting less cause people catch them and they sell there snouts. There is no point for killing them anyways because you cant eat them.

• JULIUSB-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 11:11 a.m.

On Boynton Beach, Florida last weekend a sawfish was caught. The person who caught it is name Dustin Richter. He and his friends weren't planning on a fishing trip but when they caught that shark they were happy they did. When they caught it they put it back in the ocean. They did put it back in the ocean because it was a endangered species. In the National Geographic they said it was added to the list of endangered species in 2003. The species was dropped by 5 percent when Christopher Columbus came to the new world.

• CORYK-ZDE
    5/29/2014 - 11:51 a.m.

Personally, fishing is my life and reeling in heavy fish is extremely long and hard but imagining a sawfish at the end of the line would be scary. swimming with sharks doesn't scare me but a sawfish is different