The farmboy who invented television Farnsworth (center) talks to politicians about the difficulties of gaining and maintaining patents as an independent inventor in 1939. (Library of Congress/Pixabay)
The farmboy who invented television

Philo Taylor Farnsworth was just 14 when he had an idea. The idea would shape the rest of his life.

Farnsworth had aspired to be an inventor since the age of six. That's according to  Evan I. Schwartz writing for the MIT Technology Review. By the end of his life, he would hold more than 300 patents. These related to television and other matters.

On August 26, 1930, he received a patent for the first totally electronic television system. That was about a decade after first having the idea that underlaid his invention.

Farnsworth wasn’t the first person to dream up television. But he was the first person to find a way to make it work without a mechanical aspect. The biggest problem that inventors faced was how to transmit image data. Farnsworth’s central innovation was to imagine a way of doing it that relied on electronic technology alone. In this way, it wasn’t slowed down by the abilities of a mechanical image-transmitting system like the ones used by earlier television developers. Schwartz went on to write a book about Farnsworth. He explains how it happened:

Farnsworth dreamed up his own idea for electronic-rather than mechanical-television while driving a horse-drawn harrow. This was at the family’s new farm in Idaho. That's according to surviving relatives. He was plowing a potato field in straight, parallel lines. As he was plowing, he saw television in the furrows. He envisioned a system that would break an image into horizontal lines. Then it would reassemble those lines into a picture at the other end. Only electrons could capture, transmit and reproduce a clear moving figure. This eureka experience happened at the age of 14.

There were many things between this vision and Farnsworth’s television patent. His wife was Elma Gardner Farnsworth. The couple moved from Utah to California to be closer to the motion-picture community. And they wanted to keep working on their innovation. In 1927, Philo and Elma watched as he made the first transmission. It was a horizontal line. It was transmitted to a receiver in the next room. That's according to The New York Times in Elma Farnsworth’s 2006 obituary.

Farnsworth transmitted an image of Elma and her brother two years after the first transmission. This made Elma the first woman on TV.

Farnsworth was brilliant and young. According to Schwartz he was backed by “wildcat investors.” Farnsworth predated the tech innovators of Silicon Valley. “On September 3, 1928, a photograph of him appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle. Alongside it was bold type hailing the ‘young genius’ who was ‘quietly working away in his San Francisco laboratory’ on his ‘revolutionary light machine,’” wrote Schwartz for Wired. “Just 22 years old, he had recently grown a mustache to mask his youth.”

The parallel to modern-day Silicon Valley extended to Farnsworth's ownership of his work.  He explained his invention to the Times in 1930. Farnsworth said it would work with existing broadcast technology, which was central to its appeal. It also made TV commercially viable.

That got the attention of RCA, which had a near-monopoly on radio broadcast technology. RCA sued him for patent infringement. Schwartz writes that the David and Goliath battle had similar parallels to the modern-day case between Microsoft and Netscape. That story ended with a large settlement from Microsoft.

Also like the tech innovators of Silicon Valley, Farnsworth thought his invention had utopian prospects. “If we were able to see people in other countries and learn about our differences, why would there be any misunderstandings?” he asked. “War would be a thing of the past.”

Have you ever had a big idea while doing a simple task? What was the idea?

• Jack-E2
    11/19/2018 - 11:38 a.m.

I thought this article was interesting because it was about TV and the first transmission was of Fransworth and her siblings and his sister was the first woman on TV

• Weston-E2
    11/19/2018 - 11:49 a.m.

the person that invented telivishon is vary fasinating becase it shows that just thinking about something it can make it come true.

• BenP-E2
    11/19/2018 - 11:59 a.m.

I think that this is pretty awesome that a television was invented by a farm boy. It would be hard to do something like that. Especially if you were a farm boy. This is about how a farm boy invented a television.

• BenC-E2
    11/26/2018 - 10:40 a.m.

I liked this article cause i watch TV a lot .So I salute you !
    so I hope all of you like this article to . farewell

• Gabes-kor1
    11/26/2018 - 11:38 a.m.

Quiz page can not be fpund

• Will-E2
    11/26/2018 - 05:17 p.m.

This article is about a farm boy that invented TV. He invented it when he was plowing the a field.What I think about this article is that is is cool that a farm boy invented TV. I think that because it is hard to invent things that are completely new ideas especially when you haven't been studying about them.

• John-E2
    11/27/2018 - 10:31 a.m.

I think this is amazing because I and a lot of people watch T.V including me. But some parents think now a days there are to many people watch youtube and aren't spending almost any time outside. which I think is a bad thing because going outside is good for you. But every once and a while it is good to watch. I think this was a good article and I would have not have though that a farm boy would have invented T.V.

• Sabina-E2
    11/28/2018 - 10:47 a.m.

I think it is really cool that it was a farm-boy who invented the television.
    I believe he was only 22 (maybe not).
    the question is "Have you ever had a big idea while doing a simple task?" and the answer is yes.
    my idea was to have a phone that hovers and the reason why is because, one day I was in Peru and I was waiting for a call from my friend and at the time it was very important. I was folding laundry when the phone finally rang i had my hands full and I couldn't reach for my phone. It was then that I realized, that scientists needed to invent a hovering phone that went straight to your ear. (plus then you could just be sitting on the couch and wanting your phone but you didn't wan't to get up, so your phone just hovers to you!)

• Haileym-kor2
    11/28/2018 - 01:54 p.m.

The boy who lives on a farm had came up with an invention and made a tv. I think personally this is cool because you would think about a farmsboy would just be out side playing or helping on the farm, but instead had came up with an idea to invent a tv.

• Sarah-E2
    11/29/2018 - 10:32 a.m.

The Farm boy who invented television.

This article was interesting. The reason it was interesting was because when you think about it a farm boy that invented television is quite remarkable. I think that we should keep inventing. I think we should keep moving forward.