Driving to Boston? Bedda use yah blinkah! An electronic highway sign on Interstate 93 in Boston
Driving to Boston? Bedda use yah blinkah!

Maybe the reason notoriously aggressive Boston drivers don't use their turn signals is that no one's ever put it in terms they understand.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation on Friday changed that by posting messages on electronic highway signs around the city that read: "Changing Lanes? Use Yah Blinkah."

"Blinkah" is how Bostonians pronounce "blinker," otherwise known as a turn signal.

The signs are scheduled to stay up through the Mother's Day on Sunday, which state officials say is one of the busiest traffic days of the year.

Drivers who fail to use their "blinkah" when changing lanes on a Massachusetts highway are subject to a fine. Police across the state handed out almost 5,000 tickets for the offense last year.

Critical thinking challenge: Why would people in Boston pay more attention to a sign that said blinkah instead of blinker?

• kaleac-3
    5/11/2014 - 11:17 p.m.

This article is about a sign being posted on a Boston interstate that reads, "Changing lanes? Use yah blinkah." Bostonians pronounce "blinker" as "blinkah" so the Massachusetts Department of Transportation decided to switch the signs and keep them through Mother's Day. Apparently, Bostonians rarely use their turn signals and around 5,000 people were fined in the past year for the offense.

If I saw this sign, I would burst out laughing. This is so funny that Bostonians would possibly react more and switch their signals while turning lanes when blinker is pronounced that way!! I wonder if it really helped the cause.

• FayeA-5
    5/12/2014 - 12:33 a.m.

The traffic signs in Boston have changes to say "use your blinkah". This is how people from Boston pronounce blinker so they thought it might be easier for them to pay attention to. Bostonians are notoriously bad drivers so it is funny that they are taking a different approach to safety like this. If they don't use their blinker, they have to pay a fine. I think it's funny how they put the signs in slang and it's good that they are trying different tactics to keep the roads safe.

• AD5GOLD
    5/12/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

this is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very evry very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very cool idea

• cincer2010@yhaoo.com
      5/13/2014 - 10:26 a.m.

is not very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very

• Johcol
    5/12/2014 - 10:47 a.m.

It is a very smart way to get drivers to use their turn signal.Boston is one of the biggest cities I know of.It may be yery common people dont use their 'blinkah' or blinker.This is a smart and cool way to get people to use their turn signal.So I will remember to use my 'blinkah.

• CM04nickfoles
    5/12/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

I think it is funny that they would spell the use your blinker sign in a Boston accent. I wounder if a person not from Boston would be confused.

• abbycasebeer
    5/12/2014 - 01:56 p.m.

I think that people that live in Boston will listen better because it is in a term they understand. That is probably why road constructors put that sign up in the first place.

• tyresewhite
    5/12/2014 - 02:47 p.m.

These guys are funny I wonder why the pronounce it like that but that I will never know unless... I use google lol I love technology.

• Howa-Herooftime
    5/12/2014 - 02:51 p.m.

They would pay more attention to it because they are noticing the misspelled word and say it and realize the message so then they would most likely do it

• destinycation
    5/12/2014 - 02:59 p.m.

That is so funny how Bostonians say blinker. It's crazy in Boston so of course they had to do that.I can't believe that they weren't putting on their blinkers so they had to put up an electronic sign. So Bostonians would notice.