Dog trapped in volcano? It can happen. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Hawaii’s Big Island (AP Photo/Caleb Jones/Thinkstock)
Dog trapped in volcano? It can happen.

A Big Island family was reunited with its dog after a rescue team removed the Labrador retriever trapped in a crack in the earth. It happened at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

Volcano resident Marta Caproni and her boyfriend were walking the 4-year-old chocolate Lab, Romeo, and his littermate, Tommy, at the park Oct. 4. That is when Romeo ran off.  The pooch disappeared, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper reported.

"We had no idea that to the left of this gravel area, there is a major crack in the earth about 20 feet deep," she said. "Romeo went jumping around this area and disappeared.  We couldn't tell he had fallen in."

Caproni said they tracked Romeo's faint whining. They discovered that it was coming from deep inside a crack.

A rescue team was able to remove Romeo by sending in a park ranger, Arnold Nakata. A park news release said he found the dog apparently unhurt.

"When they pulled him up, he came walking toward me unharmed, happy as he could be," Caproni said of Romeo.  "He was rolling around in the grass and went back to the park rangers and kissed them."

Dogs must be on leashes at all times in areas of the park where they are permitted. That is according to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park spokeswoman Jessica Ferracane.

"There have been cases where animals have fallen into steam vents, never to be seen again," she said. "Luckily, this turned out with a happy ending."

Caproni has lived across from the entrance to the park for 15 years. She says the dogs are obedient. She would let them run off-leash.  But it is something she doesn't plan to do again.

What could have prevented this problem?

• holdeno-3-bar
    10/13/2015 - 06:38 p.m.

Using a leash would have prevented this problem. If dogs are walked without a leash, there is a chance that they could run off. When dogs run off, they can possibly run into hazards. If dogs were walked on leashes, this hypothetical chain of events would not happen.
    I was somewhat put off by this article because the dog owners were being very careless about safety.

• kennedyb1-sti
      10/21/2015 - 01:30 p.m.

Using a leash would have prevented this problem by following the rules.So if the owners would have followed the rules none of this would have ever happend

• adominguez-gom
      2/24/2016 - 04:34 p.m.

That would only happen if the owner is not careful or strong enough.But other wise the dogs wont run off if they had a leash on them.

• adominguez-gom
      2/24/2016 - 04:39 p.m.

I think that these supposely good owners were not careful and they were also unsafe with these dogs.I think the hawians should tell them never bring there dogs or maybe them to not go next to the valcano.

• andrewl-mcc
    10/13/2015 - 07:05 p.m.

To prevent this problem the park could have put a fence up so that nothing could get in or out. They also could have put up caution signs everywhere so that no one even thought of entering this place with a dog.

• natalier-4-bar
    10/13/2015 - 07:27 p.m.

Something that could have prevented the problem of four year old dog Romeo falling into a deep crack of a volcano is that his owners Marta Caproni and her boyfriend should have held on to the leash a lot tighter and paid closer attention to Romeo because even though they say he's obedient (according to paragraph eight) it is still very hard to loose a big dog so they owners need to watch their dogs careful next time so something like this doesn't happen again.

Opinion: I thought this article was very sad because it is really unsatisfying when an owner of a pet is so unaware that there pet gets put in danger, their lucky that their dog, Romeo was okay.

• william1108-yyca
    10/13/2015 - 07:32 p.m.

WOW! I have never seen or heard of something or someone stuck in a volcano. But now that I have read this article I now know that there was something stuck in a volcano. But the dog was lucky that it was saved by a person. But I will be sure to not be stuck in one or something. I will always be careful and watch where I am going.

• taylore-1-bar
    10/13/2015 - 08:03 p.m.

Having dogs on leashes at all times would help prevent them from getting stuck in the ground. I found this article interesting because I didn't know that dogs have gotten stuck in volcanic cracks in the ground before. This didn't surprise me because I knew that it was possible for cracks in the Earths surface to form over 20 feet deep, like it said in the article.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    10/13/2015 - 08:13 p.m.

I think that the dog might have died because the lava might have been already rising from the crack but the dog is lucky that the park ranger had just saved the dog because that dog might have suffocated from breathing in the poison gases. The rangers might have been fast enough to save the dog because they can hear the whining sound of the same dog that the owner is looking for that just suddenly disappeared.

• sethg-2-bar
    10/13/2015 - 08:19 p.m.

To prevent this problem, the owner could have payed more attention. They also could have kept the dog on a leash. I found this article interesting because the dog had fallen 20 feet into a volcano crack unhurt.