Dogs tummy was chock full of socks! This X-ray shows the dogs stomach. The socks the dog ate appear at left after they were removed (AP photos)
Dogs tummy was chock full of socks!

A 3-year-old Great Dane was miserable when its owners took him to an emergency animal hospital.

X-rays showed a stomach full of "a large quantity of foreign material." Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee had the answer. The dog had consumed 43 1/2 socks.

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch said it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. So strange that the hospital entered a contest sponsored by the vet magazine, Veterinary Practice News, and won a prize.

Fittingly enough, the contest is called "They Ate WHAT?"

The $1,500 first-place winner was a Plano, Texas, animal hospital that treated an exotic frog that ate more than 30 small ornamental rocks from its cage.

The Portland hospital's entry summary says the Great Dane went home a day after surgery.

Tom Hallman Jr. of Oregonian.com described the Great Dane's symptoms this way. Imagine eating, he said, five large pizzas in one sitting.

During the surgery, Hallman reported that the vet must have thought she was working in a department store as she pulled out sock after sock after sock.

In the end, Dr. Magee removed 43 1/2 socks. No one knows what happened to the other half sock.

The Portland hospital won $500 for second place in the contest. The money will help low-income people pay for vet bills.

Critical thinking challenge: What could have happened to the other half of sock?

• antoniod-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 04:07 p.m.

I find this very interesting because i had a dog that would eat everything in my house. This included my socks and shoes. I would always wonder where the socks would go.

• cavelil0-dil
      4/05/2016 - 01:38 p.m.

I also have a dog that might eat every thing.

• coreyong-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 08:45 p.m.

wow a sock. must of got starved for a couple days poor dog. hope its ok though. is it hurt. wow a sock. must of got starved for a couple days poor dog. hope its ok though. is it hurt.

• alizel-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 08:53 p.m.

I honestly found this article quite strange, but interesting at the same time. I don't see how a dog could eat a sock, I could understand if it ripped it up, but not eat it. For the critical thinking challenge, I believe that the dog must have either threw it up, or has exited the body; through the behind, & not the dog's mouth.

• adrianas-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 09:05 p.m.

This article was interesting it goes to show that you should watch what your pets eat because they literally eat anything. Never thought a dog could eat that much socks.

• katrinak-Koc
    9/07/2014 - 10:32 p.m.

It's really crazy to see that a dog could completely digest 43 1/2 socks! I'm not surprised though because my dogs has eaten crazy things too!

• R.A.Micheal
    9/08/2014 - 08:46 a.m.

I think the dog ate half of the sock, because it was playing with the sock and they ripped it in half, and only ate the one half of the sock. That, or the sock was ripped in half before and the dog only found that half.

• kr2001blue
    9/08/2014 - 08:51 a.m.

I think the dog didn't eat the other half of the sock because he ate so many that he was "full" and didn't want the rest or maybe he just felt sick How could he eat so many socks? what made him want to eat socks?

• Savannah989
    9/08/2014 - 10:41 a.m.

This was extremely intriguing. And what did happen to the other half of that last sock? This story was so surprising, but then, my pets have eaten some strange things as well. it makes me wonder how the dog was able to eat so many socks.

• cavelil0-dil
      4/05/2016 - 01:39 p.m.

His owner probly did not feed him.