Assign to Google Classroom
A 3-year-old Great Dane was miserable when its owners took him to an emergency animal hospital.
X-rays showed a stomach full of "a large quantity of foreign material." Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee had the answer. The dog had consumed 43 1/2 socks.
DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch said it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. So strange that the hospital entered a contest sponsored by the vet magazine, Veterinary Practice News, and won a prize.
Fittingly enough, the contest is called "They Ate WHAT?"
The $1,500 first-place winner was a Plano, Texas, animal hospital that treated an exotic frog that ate more than 30 small ornamental rocks from its cage.
The Portland hospital's entry summary says the Great Dane went home a day after surgery.
Tom Hallman Jr. of Oregonian.com described the Great Dane's symptoms this way. Imagine eating, he said, five large pizzas in one sitting.
During the surgery, Hallman reported that the vet must have thought she was working in a department store as she pulled out sock after sock after sock.
In the end, Dr. Magee removed 43 1/2 socks. No one knows what happened to the other half sock.
The Portland hospital won $500 for second place in the contest. The money will help low-income people pay for vet bills.
Critical thinking challenge: What could have happened to the other half of sock?
Source URL: https://www.tweentribune.com/article/tween56/dog-s-tummy-was-chock-full-socks/