Could you hit a pitch thrown by President Obama? President Barack Obama surprises members of the Northwest little league baseball teams at Friendship Park in Washington
Could you hit a pitch thrown by President Obama?

Shocked parents reached for their smartphones to snap a quick photo, but not all of their kids were as impressed. Some held back, unsure of who Obama was, as their parents tried to lure them back onto the infield to join the president.

"Daddy, let's just play," said one young boy, pulling his father by the hand.

The "pitcher in chief" even got a chance to try out his arm, tossing the ball from near the pitcher's mound to 10-year-old Danny Ringel, who plays for the Tigers.

The White House notes the visit comes before Obama is scheduled to travel to Cooperstown, N.Y., on Thursday to speak at the Baseball Hall of Fame. That visit is focused on boosting U.S. exports, including tourism.

Critical thinking challenge: Why would the president pitch to Little Leaguers? Does this change how you feel about him?

• chanclynv-Bar
    5/20/2014 - 09:39 a.m.

The president would pitch to the Little Leaguers because he is so bad at pitching, or because he feels like pitching to little kids. It does not change how I feel about Obama.

• thomasa-Bar
    5/20/2014 - 09:39 a.m.

• Soccer2013
    5/20/2014 - 09:57 a.m.

The President would pick a Little League player because he can change the way people can think about him. He obviously likes to play baseball. I think this can change the way I think because we can actually know what he does beside being a president and what he does in his spare time.

• tsowell12
    5/20/2014 - 10:09 a.m.

The actions of President Obama doesn't change what I think of him. The reason I think he went there was to gain some popularity and to try to get people to like him. This event helped him look good for the cameras and news.i think mr.obama might be good at baseball

• lanaijahstewart
    5/20/2014 - 10:16 a.m.

President Obama is a good leader. He spends time with the people of this nation and even outside of this nation. He is a good role model for young black eople.

• shymel1155213
    5/20/2014 - 10:56 a.m.

• dante lewis
    5/20/2014 - 10:59 a.m.

Put down the juice box and lace up your sneakers. President Barack Obama is pinch-hitting for Little League.The president paid a surprise visit Monday to Washington's Friendship Park, where a handful of teams were warming up for the big game. Stepping onto the field in a tie but no jacket, Obama shook hands with the players and posed for photos with each team."What's going on people? How's it going?" the president said, before sidling up to a young girl whose arm was in a sling. "Hey, what happened? Were you sliding?"

• Kingboo
    5/20/2014 - 11:02 a.m.

I would most sertinly hit a ball that the president thrown. It would be great to hit it. I would get a picture with him. I would have him sign my baseball.Peace!

• devin838405
    5/20/2014 - 11:02 a.m.

The whole paragraph was talking about how president obama went to the
    national Washington park and met the little league and
    surprise them and gave them a hand shake before
    they played the big game.

• SpencerG-4
    5/20/2014 - 11:14 a.m.

This article is interesting because no one would expect the president to goto a local baseball. I would be totally siked to see obama. I would have probably tried to take a couple of pictures with him also. I wonder if he had all his security with him, hopefully they didnt protect him to the max. I would have loved to hit off of obama i wonder how fast he pitches.