Is cheerleading a sport? Maybe in New York Cheerleaders perform at Nimitz Junior High, in Odessa, Texas
Is cheerleading a sport? Maybe in New York

Today's cheerleading includes pyramids, tosses, and tumbling. It could be classified as a high school sport in New York under a measure recommended by state education officials. The initiative would require coaches to be properly trained. Schools would be requried to follow common safety standards.

The Board of Regents is expected to vote on the proposal Tuesday. The measure has already received unanimous approval by a Regents committee.

New York has been considering classifying cheerleading as an interscholastic sport since 2009. State officials say 34 states and the District of Columbia currently do so.

"This is a great step for the progress of cheerleading. Tomorrow's vote by the Board of Regents could be historical," said Robert Zayas. He is the president of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association. It would implement coaching and safety standards.

Right now, there are no limits on the length of seasons, time between contests or required practice days.

"The athleticism of competitive cheerleading requires that coaches are properly trained in stunt spotting and understanding the fundamentals of conditioning," the state Education Department's proposal to the Regents said.

If approved, the recommendation would take effect with the 2014-15 winter season.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is it important for schools to follow common safety standards?

• Hailey33301
    4/29/2014 - 09:49 a.m.

I think cheerleading is a sport, as a cheerleader I know how much work it takes to be one. We practice just as hard as other sports.

• erikae-war
      8/25/2015 - 09:25 a.m.

I think cheerleading is a sport.We practice as hard as all the other sports.

• Dynasty22
    4/29/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

I believe that cheer leading is a sport because they still require some of the same safety standards as any other sport. I also believe cheer leading is a sport because just Ike any sport you have to tryout. You also have practices , cheer completions, and hey cheer at school games. Just like any other sport that have to learn plays, in cheer you have to learn cheers and chants.

• Srhuston01
    4/29/2014 - 09:52 a.m.

I agree that cheerleading should be considered a sport because if a person were to be a cheer leader when you have to do a pyramid or any type of tosses you would have to have the strength to lift people up. Cheerleaders put in as much or even greater work in as do football, basketball, volleyball, baseball soccer, (etc.) players. I think that it is important for schools to follow common safety standards so that a student won't get hurt or injured badly.

• Srhuston01
    4/29/2014 - 09:52 a.m.

• Austin2723
    4/29/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I think it is a sport but people don't think that cheer-leading is a sport. Also I think it is a sport because the coaches has to be trained to coach it.

• Cadence13
    4/29/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I defenatly agree that cheerleading is a sport so making it official and getting safety standers for it is very important because like any other sport there is a possibility of someone getting hurt but theses safety islanders could prevent a lot of that a make cheerleading a lot safer.

• Emily12321
    4/29/2014 - 09:57 a.m.

It is very important for sports to use safety. Especially in cheer because people do really dangerous things and do big stunts where they can fall and hurt themselves and could possibly be severely injured. I think it is very important for every sport but in my opinion cheer is a dangerous sport and you can easily get hurt.

• briona0311
    4/29/2014 - 10:04 a.m.

I think it's good that Board is taking notice of cheerleading as a sport. It is very important that the schools follow common safety standards, so the girls will not get hurt or injured.

• Cobi5941
    4/29/2014 - 10:50 a.m.

Yes, i think cheerleading is a sport because it's not all fun and games cheerleading consist of throwing and tossing girls in the air also as a cheerleader they do many other things such as conditioning and that is having to do with something physical and doing something physically with your body active i think is considered a sport