Boy Scouts rescue TV star Ann Curry, left, and Meredith Vieira appeared during a segment of the NBC "Today" television program in 2011
Boy Scouts rescue TV star

Ann Curry has reported on television from the most dangerous places on earth. She appeared on NBC's Today show for many years. But when she broke her leg during a recent hike, it was a troop of New Jersey Boy Scouts that came to her rescue.

Curry was hiking with her family on Bear Mountain in New York's Harriman State Park when she hurt her leg.

Members of Troop 368 from Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, came across the injured NBC News correspondent. She was sitting along the trail after her family had tried unsuccessfully to carry her down the rugged mountain path, according to Scouting Magazine. Curry encouraged the scouts to keep going, but they saw she was in pain and needed medical attention. So they quickly fashioned a splint for her injured ankle and crafted a stretcher from logs and a tarp. They carried her down the mountain to where her husband and son brought their car. Her family rushed her to the hospital.

"Your skill and professionalism were a great comfort to me," Curry wrote. "I was in great pain but you were very careful in carrying me over the sharp rocks and into the car that took me to the hospital."

Troop leader Rick Jurgens said many of the 14- to 16 year-old scouts were just following their training. They didn't realize they had rescued someone famous.

The scouts were amazed, Jurgens added, after watching Curry's news reports on someone's cellphone and seeing all the famous people she had interviewed.

PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY

• ksnow420
    5/13/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

I think the boy scout's did a brave thing because even if she told them to keep going they stopped and made her a splint and the crafted a stretcher out of logs and tarp. They saved that news reporter from harms way. They all knew there training routines. If i were a girl scout i would have helped her too knowing that she broke her leg. They are very brave kids.

• Alverson0015
    5/13/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

Thats so nice of them scouts to do that for her. But I have one question that I'm not sure was answered in the article, how did she break her leg?

• walsha1-gau
      11/23/2015 - 02:28 p.m.

i bet on some rocks hiking

• Haley34333
    5/13/2014 - 08:45 a.m.

That's really amazing I wonder if the boys knew who she was I'm surprised they didn't know they were really helping someone i at my

• dylan gaddis
    5/13/2014 - 10:52 a.m.

1.)Troop leader Rick Jurgens said many of the 14- to 16 year-old scouts were just following their training.
    2.)scouts were amazed, Jurgens added, after watching Curry's news reports on someone's cellphone and seeing all the famous people she had interviewed.
    3.)Members of Troop 368 from Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, came across the injured NBC News correspondent.
    4.)she broke her leg during a recent hike, it was a troop of New Jersey Boy Scouts that came to her rescue.
    5.)Curry said her leg was so severely broken that it would take 10 to 12 weeks to heal.

• hunterl335827
    5/13/2014 - 11:30 a.m.

wow that is cool that the scouts came and just found her on the side of the trail but ya that is cool that they saved her and stuff like that and ya that is all i have to say about this so ya good bye

• kayla l
    5/13/2014 - 12:03 p.m.

That is so cool that the boys made that, that quick and carried her down the moutain! I know i wouldnt be able to do that! They should deserve a award or something for helping her.

• CR-D11white_momba
    5/13/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

I think those scouts that were there to help her, if they weren't there she and the family might starve! Plus she was very famous so if she did die then everyone would be sad and we wouldn't have her in the world.

• CN23green
    5/13/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

Wow, that's amazing! By just using basic training along with their knowledge, the boy scouts were able to save a wounded reporter on a mountain. It's ironic how they didn't know they rescued a famous person, though.

• ClaireDB
    5/13/2014 - 01:52 p.m.

WOW!!!! That's amazing that the boy scouts knew what to do and did it. What's even more amazing is that they rescued someone famous. I was a girl scout and all I learned was how to set a table.