Boot, wheelbarrow, thimble ousted from Monopoly board game This March 15, 2017 photo shows the three new tokens in Atlantic City, N.J., that fans from around the world have voted into upcoming editions of the board game Monopoly: a duck, a T-Rex dinosaur and a penguin. (AP Photo/Wayne Parry)
Boot, wheelbarrow, thimble ousted from Monopoly board game

The boot has been booted. The wheelbarrow has been wheeled out. And the thimble got the thumbs down in the latest version of the board game Monopoly. In their place will be a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin and a rubber ducky.

More than 4.3 million voters from 146 countries weighed in on which tokens they wanted to see in future versions of the property-acquisition game. It is based on the real-life streets of Atlantic City, New Jersey. Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based Hasbro announced the winners.

Jonathan Berkowitz, Hasbro's senior vice president of marketing, grew up playing the game with his family.

"While I'm sad to see the iconic thimble, boot and wheelbarrow tokens go, it will be fun to have some new, fan-sourced tokens in the mix," he said. "Personally, I've always especially liked the boot token. But I'm excited to move onto the T. rex."

There were 64 contenders. They included a winking emoji, a hashtag, a clunky '80s-style cellphone and a pair of bunny slippers.

The existing Scottish Terrier, battleship, racecar, top hat and cat tokens will carry on.

The Scottie was top dog in the competition. It led all contenders with 212,476 votes. The T. rex was second with 207,954, and the hat was third with 167,582. The car was fourth with 165,083; the ducky was fifth with 160,485; and the cat was sixth with 154,165. The penguin waddled into seventh place with 146,661. The battleship made the final cut with 134,704 votes.

The closest unsuccessful candidate was the tortoise. It fell nearly 5,700 votes short.

A rain boot got the least support, with 7,239 votes.

The next version of the game will go on sale with the new tokens in the fall.

The board game was "born" on March 19, 1935, when Parker Brothers acquired the rights to it. In the decades since, an estimated 1 billion people have weighed the merits of buying up utilities and railroads or trying to hit it big with Boardwalk hotels.

The original 10 tokens were an iron, purse, lantern, racecar, thimble, shoe, top hat, battleship, cannon and a rocking horse.

Why has the thimble lost popularity?

• aliciap-smi
    3/22/2017 - 09:39 a.m.

The thimble lost popularity because better things have come.

• collino-smi1
    3/22/2017 - 10:34 a.m.

The thimble lost popularity because they took certain things out of the game that people liked.

• cadet-jac
      3/31/2017 - 01:40 p.m.

Have you considered that the thimble is one of the oldest pieces in the game but also is one of the best pieces.

• kalebb-jac
      3/31/2017 - 05:27 p.m.

Yes, I do agree. The players wanted more fun with the game and better tokens, and the thimble was just a spot taker. I am glad that it was removed.

• rileyn-kul
        4/03/2017 - 10:40 a.m.

I am very sad and depressed that the thimble, wheelbarrow, and boot were removed. I think Monopoly is a very classic, iconic, American game and it wont be the same without those pieces. Therefore I will not be buying any new Monopoly games, if I need a new game I will have to find a used one with the iconic pieces.

• taylorm-kul
          4/03/2017 - 01:47 p.m.

I agree that it is sad, but I know you and I guarantee that you don't play the game enough to care this much about the pieces of the game.

• jacoba-kul
            4/07/2017 - 12:31 p.m.

Wow talk about a burnske, but seriously it isn’t a big deal even if you liked the game. If you really like it then you should still have the pieces.

• abigailo-kul
          4/04/2017 - 11:41 a.m.

I agree that it is very sad that they got rid of the good pieces. Monopoly is a very classic game and I don’t think they should have made new pieces. I bet the original game of Monopoly is worth a lot of money because it has the original pieces.

• kayleeb-kul
          4/05/2017 - 10:05 a.m.

I feel like you probably wouldn't have bought a new game anyway. The first generation of this new game with the new pieces will someday be worth a fortune, so not buying it when it comes out could be a bad thing on your part.

• bethanyl-kul
          4/05/2017 - 03:29 p.m.

I agree that monopoly is a very classic and iconic game. I don't think they should have replaced pieces that had a meaning once in people's everyday life, with animals. If i need a new monopoly game I will find a used one.