Berlin zoo unveils name of latest polar bear cub The polar bear cub Hertha plays with a ball of soccer club Hertha BSC, after the announcing of her name, at the Tierpark zoo in Berlin, Tuesday, April 2, 2019. (AP Photo/Markus Schreiber)
Berlin zoo unveils name of latest polar bear cub

Assign to Google Classroom

It's Hertha.

Berlin's Tierpark zoo has unveiled the much-anticipated name of its new star. The star is a 4-month-old polar bear cub.

Hertha was born on Dec. 1. She is named after the German capital's eponymous top league soccer club, which is sponsoring the animal.

The club's mascot is a brown bear. The team presented a ball with the cub's name at the zoo. Then mother, Tonja, and daughter ran into the enclosure. That delighted the assembled photographers.

Hertha played ball for the cameras before accidentally kicking it into the deep end of the moat. In a display of motherly love, Tonja retrieved the ball.

Berlin's last celebrity polar bear was Knut. He died prematurely from illness. That was in 2011. He was 4. Several cubs born since failed to reach maturity.

What would you name a polar bear cub? Why would you choose that name?

• Annabel-E2
    5/16/2019 - 10:22 a.m.

Hertha was born on Dec. 1, Hertha is such a cute name, it is cool that she was named after German capital 's top soccer league. The Berlin Zoo recently had another polar bear which was named Knut, who died prematurely from an illness. Hertha received a ball with her name on it from the soccer club. That is so cool! The soccer club's mascot is a brown bear and they are also sponsoring the animal. This is such a cute story!

• AlyssaF-dec
    5/16/2019 - 10:57 a.m.

This articles is so cute and happy. It is also nice that they recovered from a loss and brought out the good. Good luck and I wish you lots of happiness in your journey of life Hertha.

• JacobH-dec
    5/16/2019 - 12:28 p.m.

I would name my polar bear pablo. Ask me why? I have no clue. Just pablo would seem to fit in with the polar bear look.

• MiaD-5
    5/16/2019 - 02:17 p.m.

I would name the polar bear cub Winter, if female, and Arctic, if male. I would name them this because Winter is what it is almost always like in Antarctica and Arctic because it is just a fun name that would go well with polar bear. It may go better with an Arctic fox, but it still goes. I love polar bears and I would want their names to remind me of their home country. This is why I would name the polar bear cubs that.

• AdelaideM-
    5/16/2019 - 02:22 p.m.

I would name a polar bear Frosty for both genders, because it works for every gender. It is also named after Frosty from Frosty the Snowman, the original winter movie. I love Frosty the Snowman because when I was sick at the age 3 my grandma used to make me soup and let me watch Frosty the Snowman all day. It is also because where polar bears are natively wild, it is very frosty and cold. That is why I would name a polar bear Frosty.

• Alyssa-E2
    5/20/2019 - 11:04 a.m.

WOW!I can't believe that Hertha is named after the German capital's eponymous top league soccer club, which is sponsoring the animal.Berlin's last celebrity polar bear was Knut. It's so sad that he died prematurely from illness. That was in 2011. He was 4.It is also sad that several cubs born since failed to reach maturity.

• laneyA-dec
    5/20/2019 - 05:01 p.m.

This is what I would name a polar bear cub. For a girl I would name the polar bear Snow. I would choose that because they live in a cold climate and there is snow there. For a boy I would name it Hunter. I would choose that name because they hunt. This is what I would name a polar bear cub.

• CheyanneT-dec
    5/21/2019 - 09:51 a.m.

Polar bears are very cute i feel.I feel that it would be kinda hard to try to name a polar bear.

• AvaR-dec
    5/21/2019 - 09:51 a.m.

I would name the polar bear Ava because that is my name.

• GraceR-dec
    5/22/2019 - 04:52 p.m.

I would name a girl polar bear cub Snow White, I would pick that name because I think it is just a cute name for a little white polar bear cub. I would name a boy polar bear cub Henry, because my mom chose that name and because not many people or animals are named Henry.