Baseball star snaps selfie with fans phone Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper takes a photo of himself with a cell phone tossed to him by fan Jamie Roach (AP photos)
Baseball star snaps selfie with fans phone

Bryce Harper called this shot.

The Washington Nationals slugger known for launching long home runs thrilled a fan at a recent game. He gestured for her cellphone, snapped a playful selfie and then tossed it back into the stands.

Harper took the picture in right field before Washington took on the Toronto Blue Jays in the second game of a doubleheader.

"It was pretty good," Harper told The Associated Press when he saw the photo after the game. "Just messing around a little bit with the fans. Enjoying it with them a little bit. It's always fun."

The 22-year-old outfielder was looking at a group of fans taking pictures of him from their Nationals Park seats when he noticed Jamie Roach. Harper motioned for the retail manager from Laurel, Maryland, to flip him her phone from about 15 feet above. She did, and he caught it.

Harper took a wide-eyed, silly faced picture of himself and threw the phone back to her.

"I was so excited. I've never gotten a ball from him. But now I've got this picture," Roach said. "It was very awesome. Like a kid in a candy store."

Roach said she goes to about 40 games a year. She quickly sent the picture to friends and strangers at the game and the selfie was uploaded to social media sites. The Internet took it from there.

The latest All-Star voting results released by Major League Baseball showed Harper leading all National League players with more than 2.3 million votes.

Forget about a picture being worth 1,000 words. Expect this one to be worth oodles of extra votes and fans.

"They were trying to take a selfie with me," Harper told the AP. "I went over there and said, 'Hey, toss me the phone and I'll do it for you.'"

Harper had two hits in the game. He ranks among the major league leaders in homers, runs batted in and batting average.

Critical thinking challenge: Why does Bryce Harper foster a relationship with fans?

• jm2000skate
    6/08/2015 - 08:38 a.m.

Bryce Harper probably fosters a relationship with his fans so that he is more likeable. When more people like him the more people buy his product and support the team he plays on, making the team more money.

• TR2001Blue
    6/08/2015 - 08:39 a.m.

Maybe because he has been in their situation before and that he wants to make the game as entertaining as possible. That is probably why he has a relationship with his fans.

• JaidenH-Rad
    6/08/2015 - 09:43 a.m.

very cool. that person is very lucky to have that picture. that one picture is worth 1000 words awsome it made it to tween tribune #tweentribune

• Sofiaz-Der
      6/08/2015 - 02:08 p.m.

I definitely agree that was such a surprise to hear about! Even though I am not a baseball fan It would still be such an honor!

• Coopers-Der
      6/08/2015 - 02:12 p.m.

So would I. I'd totally freak out! I'd just be watching the game, maybe hoping for a high five, and then I'd have a selfie that Bryce Harper took WITH MY OWN PHONE! That would be totally surprising!

• Edgarblack
      6/08/2015 - 12:04 p.m.

that must be cool that baseball players are taking selfies with the fans.the selfie was realy funny .If all baseball players did that it would be cool.

• Cadenc-Der
      6/08/2015 - 02:07 p.m.

Tylerc-Pav I agree with you, I think that the fan is very happy about it because the article said that the Internet took care of it after the fan sent it to her friends.

• Luisv-Der
        6/08/2015 - 02:28 p.m.

I agree with you Cadenc-Der and with you to Tylerc-Pav. That fan is lucky. I wish I was that fan. I would send it to all my friends.

• Aident-Der
      6/08/2015 - 03:36 p.m.

I agree with Tylerc-Pav.That would save the hassle of everybody asking for autographs as well as making the crowd feel happy. Maybe later people will instead of autographs get selfies!

• JasonGRed
    6/08/2015 - 11:13 a.m.

I think its great that famous athletes interact with their fans a lot more than they use to. They are more lenient to people talking to them and stuff like that!