Barbie is no longer #1 with girls Mattel's Barbie dolls on sale are pictured inside a shop of a life-size "Barbie Dreamhouse" in Berlin, Germany (Reuters / AP photos)
Barbie is no longer #1 with girls

For the first time in more than a decade, Barbie has been frozen out of the top spot on the holiday wish lists of girls.

The new reigning champion in the hearts of little girls is Team Elsa.

The hit "Frozen" has earned Disney more than a billion at the box office. The animated film has now plucked Barbie from the throne that she has occupied for 11 years. That's according to a survey by the National Retail Federation.

The NRF's Holiday Top Toys Survey found that one in five parents, or 20 percent, plans to buy "Frozen" merchandise for their girls. That beats the 16.8 percent that are looking to make a Barbie purchase.

Barbie's star has faded. Sales of the iconic doll dropped 21 percent in the third quarter financial results, according to the toy company Mattel Inc.

"Frozen," even a year after the release of the film, continues to rule the playground. Girls form circles and burst into songs like "Let It Go," and "For the First Time in Forever."

Dolls dominated the top five spots for girls in the NRF poll. Monster High dolls took the fourth spot and American Girl grabbed the fifth position.

For boys, the NRF said that the number one spot is again held by LEGO. Cars and trucks came in second place. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were in third place.

The NRF survey polled 6,593 consumers from Nov. 3 to Nov. 10. The survey was conducted for NRF by Prosper Insights & Analytics. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.2 percentage points.

Critical thinking challenge: How did the survey determine the most popular doll?

• AnnaC-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 06:13 p.m.

This article is talking about how little girls are liking frozen more then barbie. Disney has made over one million dollars on frozen. Since more parents are getting frozen dolls barbie dolls are now 21 percent less then what they used to be. AnnaC-Call

• BrendenS-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 06:58 p.m.

Well the survey only shows the people who filled it out so you realy can't figure out which is more popular. But it really makes you think how Barbie finally was now not at first.

• ChloeJ-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 07:07 p.m.

This article is about Elsa toys taking over barbie dolls and how more people buy "Frozen" stuff then barbie stuff. Twenty percent of parents plan to buy"Frozen" stuff compared to 16.8 percent of parents buying barbie stuff.

• AlleighaB-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 07:48 p.m.

In the passage '' Barbie is no Longer #1 with girls" it tells about how for 11 years Barbie has been #1 worldwide. Until the hit movie Frozen came out, more girls have a Elsa on their wish list. 20 percent of girls want Elsa, and 16.8 want Barbie

• AliviaB-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 08:38 p.m.

Barbie toys were the most popular toys for girls. They have been in first place for 11 years. Frozen toys put barbie toys out of first and into second. Frozen toys are now in first place instead of barbie.

• GabiD-1
    12/01/2014 - 08:39 p.m.

Barbie is no longer the most wanted toy for the seasons holiday. Frozen knocked Barbie off their 11 year throne. The top 5 spots for girl toys are dolls. I personal like frozen better so I like this news.

• ryans3-pet
      2/27/2017 - 10:43 a.m.

I don't have a personal opinion about barbie or Frozen, if I had to choose I would go with Barbie, but I think barbie has held the attention of girls for long enough, and they needed something new to hold their attention.

• JessicaB-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 09:20 p.m.

Summary
    The passage above states that the most popular toy for girls, according to the NRF, is team Elsa from "Frozen".
    So we where suppose to write a summary which is only one to two sentences but as I'm sure some of you have tried we need at lest 25 words so as I bet u have gotten right now I am writing this just to get extra words in this comment and I think I have reach my goal of over 25 words :)

• AutumnL-Cal
    12/01/2014 - 09:24 p.m.

Move over Barbie, there's a new girl in town! Barbie has been the most popular toy for girls for more than a decade. But it looks like she will be dethroned by a newcomer. It seems than one out of five parents this Christmas are going to buy Frozen merchandise. Even a whole year after the hit movie Frozen came out, it's still number one!

• 8NANDISURUPI-Flo
    12/01/2014 - 10:01 p.m.

Mostly I like animated movies and cartoon shows like Frozen, How To Train Your Dragon, Ice-Age, Sponge-bob, Sofia The First, Mickey Mouse Club House, Oswald The Octopus and also movies like Harry Potter, Life Of Pie, etc.
    Honestly, I watched the movie "Frozen" more than 10 times because I really liked it and also the characters from it.