Barbie makes doll of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad Ibtihaj Muhammad holds a Barbie doll in her likeness at the 2017 Glamour Women of the Year Awards at Kings Theatre on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/U.S. Embassy London)
Barbie makes doll of hijab-wearing Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad

The maker of Barbie has announced a new doll. She is modeled after Ibtihaj Muhammad. She is an American fencer who competed in last year's Olympics. She wore a hijab while competing.

Mattel Inc. said the doll will be available online next fall. The doll is part of the Barbie "Shero" line. It honors women who break boundaries. Past dolls have included gymnast Gabby Douglas. They have included "Selma" director Ava DuVernay.

"I had so many moments as an athlete, where I didn't feel included. I was often in spaces where there was a lack of representation."

That's what Muhammad said last Monday night. She was at the Glamour Women of the Year gala in New York.

"So to be in this moment, as a U.S. Olympian, to have Mattel, such a global brand, diversify their toy line to include a Barbie doll that wears a hijab is very moving to me."

Muhammad is the first American to compete at the Olympics while wearing a hijab. She won a bronze medal in fencing. This was at the 2016 Rio Games.

"There was so much about the doll that was important to me," she said.

"I know as a kid I was bullied for having larger legs, and sport taught me to embrace my body and to love my body and the strength that it could produce. I think that having strong legs helped me win a medal at the Olympic Games, so I wanted my legs to be larger, more athletic legs, toned legs. And I am very into eyeliner, so I wanted a strong-winged cat eye. And Mattel listened to everything, everything even down to the fabric of the hijab.”

How can toys affect society?

• KiaraB-del
    11/23/2017 - 04:57 p.m.

This article was very interesting. It talked about how there is going to be a Barbie doll a hijab, for the first time. The doll is going to be molded by a fencer .

• ReesePratt-del
    11/26/2017 - 11:16 a.m.

When I was a kid I liked the play with barbie dolls. The dolls would always be a dancing barbie or a barbie cook but never a barbie with a hijab on. When I am a mom I would buy my kid even a boy all different barbies. A barbies with a hijab, African American barbies and all the barbies that come out that are new.

• sylviemb-buh
    11/27/2017 - 10:29 a.m.

This is really cool that Barbie is making more multi-cultural dolls! It can get non multi-cultural kids to learn more about different cultures, and more people can have look alike dolls.

• Alexism-fra1
    11/27/2017 - 11:41 a.m.

This article was amazing.I thought the article was the best.The article was inspiring to tell people and little kids to maybe make something like that barbie.Thank you for putting this article on here.

• ionicaj-cel
    11/28/2017 - 08:19 p.m.

This is very satisfying to hear about. It should've happened a long time ago. Every type of woman is truly beautiful in their own way and little girls should be able to walk down the aisle and see a woman that looks similar to them.

• jazminew-orv
    11/30/2017 - 02:38 p.m.

I think this is so cool. I like how Barbie is putting more diversity in their brand.

• JohnM-buh
    11/30/2017 - 04:26 p.m.

i like this topic because I like fencing and my sister likes barbie. but I don't. did you know that ibthaj Muhammad was the first girl fencer!

• carterl-ris
    12/01/2017 - 08:55 a.m.

Toys can make children happy and enjoy stuff.

• JalenM-par1
    12/01/2017 - 09:51 a.m.

VERY SHORT!!! This selection included a lot of inspirational advice, excepting yourself and using youre differences in a positive way.

• holdenj-orv
    12/04/2017 - 02:39 p.m.

I wonder what Middle-Eastern country Ibtihaj Muhammad is from? I'm guessing Saudi Arabia.