Baby panda born in Malaysia zoo makes public debut Media take photographs of a new baby panda at Malaysia Zoo in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Saturday, May 26, 2018. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Baby panda born in Malaysia zoo makes public debut

A baby panda was born in a Malaysian zoo five months ago. She made her public debut May 26.

The female has not yet been named. She is the second offspring of giant pandas Liang Liang and Xing Xing. Both of which are on a 10-year loan to Malaysia. The loan began in 2014.

The first cub was a female called Nuan Nuan. She was born in August 2015. She was sent back to China last November. It was part of a deal with Beijing to return cubs born in captivity at age 2.

Members of the media watched and filmed the cub through a glass shield. The cub was in an air-conditioned enclosure at the national zoo. Zoologists said the healthy cub weighs 9 kilograms (19.8 pounds).

Zoo officials have said the giant panda pair broke the world record for a second baby in four years via natural reproduction. Malaysia's national zoo has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars on a panda complex. It includes bamboo trees mimicking their natural habitat. This came after China loaned the cub's parents to Malaysia. This was to mark 40 years of diplomatic relations with that country.

According to WWF, there are 1,864 giant pandas in the wild. They live mainly in bamboo forests high in the mountains of western China. They subsist almost entirely on bamboo.

The pair arrived just weeks after a Malaysian plane carrying 239 people disappeared in March 2014. The passengers were mostly Chinese citizens. It was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Chinese media at the time criticized the Malaysian government and Malaysia Airlines. They criticized them over their handling of the tragedy. The jet still hasn't been found.

Why do you think baby pandas are so appealing to the public?

• KekeB-eri
    8/10/2018 - 02:26 a.m.

I think the baby panda is appealing to the public because they are cute and rare

• GennaroM-eri1
    8/10/2018 - 02:27 a.m.

Its appealing because they are cute and rare

• TimW-eri
    8/11/2018 - 07:21 a.m.

I think that baby pandas are so appealing to the public because there aren’t many baby pandas left in the world.

• ZhiFeiL-eri1
    8/15/2018 - 02:09 a.m.

I think baby pandas are so appealing to the public because they are rare and they are so cute.

• Neveahh-orv
    8/21/2018 - 11:56 a.m.

I think that baby pandas are so adorable and they are like so amazing.I think that pandas are so brilliant and intelligent because their colors like black and white is so beautiful.Panda bears are so cool to me because they also are my favorite animals

• calebr-orv2
    8/22/2018 - 12:19 p.m.

Well, the panda is a baby and a cute animal so I would be kind of attached to this panda.

• joeyw-orv
    8/22/2018 - 12:45 p.m.

They should have a vote on 5 possible names for the new panda and have the community help name the panda

• MartinF-ilc
    8/23/2018 - 02:04 a.m.

They are so atractive to the public, especially kids, because it is so unusual to see a panda cub. Also, as the article said, there are less than two thousand pandas in the wild, so it is not species that you could see anywhere. I think that if I travel to China and have a chance to see a panda cub, I will do it without hesitation.

• keidene-orv
    8/23/2018 - 11:26 a.m.

this was nice one i read in a long time

• jordanw-orv1
    8/23/2018 - 11:37 a.m.

I think that the pandas are appealing because they are so cute and fuzzy, and also because pandas are going extinct people just want to see them while they last.