Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt Meat purveyors Chris Hinke, left, and Rich DeNatale, visit the butcher's case of British artist Lucy Sparrow's all-felt model of a New York City bodega, in New York's Meatpacking district, Monday, June 5, 2017. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
Artist recreates New York City grocery store using felt

If the hot dogs in one New York City bodega feel a little, well, soft and squishy, don't worry, it's not a health hazard. It's art.

A British artist has recreated the contents of a city bodega. It is made entirely in felt. That is the soft material usually favored by the school-going set. Lucy Sparrow's "8 Till Late" opened to the public in a 1,200-square-foot space. It is at The Standard hotel. That is on Manhattan's west side. It runs through June 30.

Sparrow handmade the 9,000 items in the installation. The items cover practically everything you might find in the small stores that are iconic in New York City. There are felt jars of peanut butter and jelly as well as packages of white bread. There are pizza slices and pretzels on the felt grill along with felt hot dogs. And there are felt boxes of detergent and a felt fridge filled with felt ice cream.

The artist has been working in felt for years. She says the material "evokes nostalgia with people."

The New York City exhibit follows a similar one Sparrow created in London. That one was called "The Cornershop." The point of both, she said, was to generate conversation about what is lost when small mom-and-pop stores like bodegas fade away, often with chain stores coming in as replacements.

"A sense of community is being lost when these places disappear," she said.

Sparrow said it took several months to make all the items. She worked for 16 hours every day toward the end of her production period. Among her favorite items in the shop are the sausages and other products in the meat case. All of them have eyes and faces.

"It's very cute but sort of gruesome at the same time," she said. She of course included that mainstay of the bodegas. The cat that can usually be seen lolling on a pallet of cans or strolling through the aisles.

"I had at least 20 people say to me that having a bodega cat was probably the most important thing about this installation," Sparrow said. "So I had to get that right."

What makes this art?

• samirad-cel
    8/21/2017 - 12:26 p.m.

I think its neat that they are trying to show the importance of bodegas in such a cool way. The felt items in the picture above the article looked so realistic that if it wasn't said in the article, you would have a hard time believing that they weren't real. Sparrow really loves what she does and its different seeing someone who love what they do so much, because in today's world people often just do what they can to get by instead of focusing on what they love.

• Mariannaf-dav
    8/28/2017 - 02:00 p.m.

In response to " New York City Artist Creates Grocery Store Out of Felt", I agree that art needs to be more acknowledged in today's world. One reason I agree is that
    the artist says it "evokes nostalgia in people". Another reason is that the artist wants to spark a conversation between people about bodegas being replaced with chain stores.She says, " A sense of community is being lost when these stores disappear. A third reason is that people don't really care about how much detail is put into art. Artist Lucy Sparrow made all 9,000 pieces herself. Even though Art is becoming less acknowledged in our daily lives, I think that good people like Lucy will keep it alive!

• Abbys-eic
    9/01/2017 - 10:52 a.m.

I think this is amazing. It would a long time, but I would want to do that.

• HaydenW-eic
    9/01/2017 - 11:32 a.m.

It did take a long time to make.

• Alejandrom-eic
    9/01/2017 - 01:34 p.m.

This is cool i have never seen art like this before because i'am 12 not 20

• Laurenh-eic
    9/01/2017 - 01:41 p.m.

I think that it is cool how she makes all of those tiny details. Also Ithink it would take a lot time but it would be worth it.

• Emoryc-eic
    9/01/2017 - 03:03 p.m.

That's so cool that she made all that stuff,it look so real I would like to do something like that.

• Ellieg-eic
    9/01/2017 - 03:09 p.m.

It would be funny to watch one of your friends walk in to this place and watch him eat felt. My thoughts on this place are like when you walk in to a candy store and then you realize that there is ice cream!

• Ceciliaa-eic
    9/01/2017 - 03:18 p.m.

I think its really cool that one person could have the much creativity to make hole store out of felt. I would like to try something like that, even though it took a long time I think it would be worth it.

• averym-orv
    9/05/2017 - 01:37 p.m.

I would like to see this in person. This is a really creative and unique idea!