Are you ready to speak up against bullying? (- Thinkstock)
Are you ready to speak up against bullying?

Cartoon Network is challenging the public to tell the world "I speak up" in a chorus of 1 million videos. Participants are invited to say those three words into their mobile devices. Then share their videos at www.StopBullyingSpeakUp.com, as well as to their own social media platforms using the hashtag ISpeakUp.

The drive is kicking off Cartoon Network's annual Stop Bullying: Speak Up campaign. It will culminate during its Speak Up Week, Sept. 29 through Oct. 3. That in turn paves the way for National Bullying Prevention Month in October.

Here's the goal, as Cartoon Network puts it. To collect 1 million user-generated videos that unite the voices of kids, parents, educators, celebrities and government officials, each committing to speak up when someone gets bullied.

Selected videos from participants will become part of campaign spots appearing on Cartoon Network, its digital platforms and Boomerang, the network said. Each day an onscreen "I Speak Up" tally will update how many participants have gone on record with videos and posts. The website includes directions for sharing an "I Speak Up" video.

Joining in the outreach are partner organizations. They include Boys and Girls Clubs of America, 4-H Clubs, the Anti-Defamation League, the American Federation of Teachers and the Federal Partners in Bullying Prevention.

"We think it will be incredibly empowering for kids to know that a million people out there are speaking up for them," says Alice Cahn of Cartoon Network.

While the video campaign is new this year, the network's anti-bullying initiative began in 2010. According to Cahn, it arose from research by the network in which kids said that bullying could be most easily addressed, if they only had others' support.

Among the kids' messages, according to Cahn: "It's not so much that I'm getting picked on, but I feel so terrible when my friends are picked on and I don't know what to do."

The campaign targets youngsters of elementary grades through early middle school. Cahn says that's when when getting bully-savvy can serve them well into high school and beyond.

Critical thinking challenge: Why is it more effective to unite the voices of kids, parents, educators, celebrities and government officials if its only kids that are victims? How does bullying affect people other than kids?

• issise-Fre
    9/09/2014 - 09:26 a.m.

Well , I wish that the word bullying never existed. A lot of people have been bullied around the world. Either if it' s in school or if it' s outside of school. Also , you can get bullied for what you wear or how you talk or look. I think that someone should really speak up to bullying. I see videos on You Tube when people explain their bullying story & I know that if i was there that it would be very sad to be her/him. Bullying should stop because nobody likes bullying.

• AnasuyaS-Met
      12/12/2014 - 01:45 p.m.

I think they try to involve more people other than kids, because I think even adults get bullied sometimes, and they want to make sure that they are aware of what's going on with their kids so that they can try to help. Parents and teachers have experienced bullying when they were little too, and they want to help other kids who are getting bullied. They know what it's like to be a victim.

• gm217-Sch
    9/09/2014 - 09:51 a.m.

In response to "Are You Ready to Speak Up Against Bullying?," I agree that people should raise awareness to stop bullying. One reason I agree is that I know how it feels to be bullied and it does not feel so good. Another reason is that when someone sees someone bullying somebody else, they often don't know what to do, and it never gets solved. It says in the article that an employee at cartoon network said that most kids would walk away or do nothing about it. A third reason is that most people confuse a joke with bullying. Even though it may be hard, I think
    people should stand up for each other.

• Jazc-Fre
    9/09/2014 - 11:10 a.m.

I believe that it's more effective for people to see how celebrities, kids, parents, educators, and government officials to tell their story so that others can see how strong they are and how they all got over the bullying. They can also give tips on what to do if you're being bullied and because people obviously look up to famous people, they might get the idea to speak up when others around them are being bullied. Also, it's not only kids that are being victims of bullying, you can be any age and still be bullied. For parents they can share the problems they had to go through to make the bullying stop and how they had to prevent it.

• patriotlara9215
    9/09/2014 - 11:50 a.m.

I agree with every word she says. People should stop bullying and start helping people stop bullying. Bullying is just another way to say i do not like you. Stop fighting people and start steping up and say i prevent bullying. Just use your words thats why we have mouths wright i dont no why any one would bully if you bully give me a reason.

• Jennahi-Fre
    9/09/2014 - 12:21 p.m.

I think that the Cartoon Network "I speak up" is a great idea. Why? It is a great idea because everyday teens, children, and even grown ups are getting bullied everyday. One little word can hurt someone so much that they could do horrible things. How would you like it if you were them? You wouldn't. Some girls and boys cry themselves to sleep at night and that is sad. So take a stand. If you see someone crying, go see if they are okay. If someone needs help, Give them a hand. If someone is lonely, be a good person and be a friend to them. It is almost like the Golden rule, Treat people the way you want to be treated.

• Kieranfi-Fre
    9/09/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

I think it is it awesome that cartoon network is doing this. It will give kids a even more reason to speak up. I want people to speak up. It will be good for the victims that are bullied everyday. So I hope that 1 million people will make a video,So kids wont fear going to school. Also so that kids will have more in life. The bully will too if he/she stops their ways.

• CHB2001aaa
    9/09/2014 - 01:20 p.m.

It is more effective to unite the voices of all those human beings because than the bully may think that what he/she is doing is actually wrong because the adults are telling them about their behavior and kids as well. Bullying can affect other people because if the victim of the bullying is feeling upset than he/she can take their angry out on someone else that is completely innocent. It also may affect other people because some people may feel bad for the person that is getting bullied.

• abbehh
    9/09/2014 - 01:24 p.m.

Bullying is a very touchy topic for most kids. It's great that people are encouraging kids to speak up and say something about it. Bullying can affect a child more than you'd realize. Kids (mostly teenagers and tweens) have this thing where they listen to everything that their peers say and it doesn't matter if their parents think otherwise. All that matters to them are if they're "fitting in". Most kids get picked on because they're different and they don't fit in. Most kids would say that it's very important to fit in, but later realize, it isn't.
    I think this is really great that kids are speaking up. They are taking up for themselves when they do this. It's really heartwarming actually. Someone getting up and taking part of this to put a stop to bullying. To stand up to their bully or to stand up for someone else. This encourages me and it inspires me to do this for myself also. #ISpeakUp

• Avaw-OBr
    9/09/2014 - 01:44 p.m.

Bullying is an important topic in schools today. It affects many people in many ways. Some people are cyber bullied and physically bullied everyday. Some people are abused by parents, so they think that it's ok to bully innocent kids. Some people just don't understand other kids' lives. However, some kids just do have a good life or a good house or good clothes, so you can't judge them for that. I think everyone is perfect and everyone is different so you can't judge them. In my eyes, everyone is perfect in their own way and I think that's so special. Just speak up because some kids only need friends, and they think bullying people is the way they are going to get friends. Don't be friends with a bully and never bully anyone. Don't bully people anywhere. People kill themselves just because of bullying and that's taking away someone's life. Why would anyone want to kill someone? Why, because they don't think they have anything better to do. So just speak up, please.

• PrestonF-Kuy
    9/09/2014 - 04:08 p.m.

I would not speak in 1 millon videos becauce I will be embarresed in my school they might laugh at me and put it on youTube