Another baby on the way for endangered rhino A female Sumatran rhino named Ratu, right, is seen with her calf at Way Kambas National Park in Lampung, Indonesia in 2012. Ratu is pregnant with her second calf at an Indonesian sanctuary in the original habitat of the highly endangered species, a government conservation official said Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2015. (AP Photo)
Another baby on the way for endangered rhino

A Sumatran rhinoceros is pregnant with her second calf at an Indonesian sanctuary in the original habitat of the highly endangered species, according to a government conservation official.

Bambang Dahono Adji, director of biodiversity conservation at Indonesia's Ministry of Environment and Forestry, said the mother, Ratu, is expected to give birth in May. The birth will be at the Way Kambas National Park. It is in southern Sumatra. The baby would join five other rhinos there.

Sumatran rhino pregnancies last about 16 months. The babies weigh up to 60 pounds. Ultrasound images indicate Ratu's pregnancy is progressing normally.

"This proves capabilities of our own experts at Way Kambas," Dahono said. "Malaysia's announcement of the extinction of Sumatran rhino there made Indonesia's efforts to save the rhino very important now."

Now 12 years old, Ratu was born in the wild. She wandered out of the rainforest in 2005. Her first calf was a male named Andatu. It was born in 2012 and was the first Sumatran rhino born in an Asian breeding facility in more than 140 years.

The father of both calves is Andalas. He was born at the Cincinnati Zoo. He was sent to the Los Angeles Zoo, and then moved to Indonesia in 2007 for mating.

Andalas' brother, Harapan, lives at the Cincinnati Zoo. He is the only Sumatran rhino abroad. He is expected to be moved to Indonesia in October. Their sister Suci was believed to have died there because her diet at the zoo contained too much iron.

"We are proudly announcing the pregnancy of Ratu at the Sumatra Rhone Sanctuary coinciding with the celebration of World Rhino Day," Environment Minister Siti Nurbaya Bakar said in a statement. World Rhino Day was Sept. 22.

She added "the pregnancy represents decades of international collaboration to save this endangered species."

Susie Ellis is executive director of the International Rhino Foundation. She said the pregnancy comes at a critical time for the species. No more than 100 animals are left in the wild.

"One birth doesn't save a species, but it's one more Sumatran rhino on Earth," Ellis said.

The species is seriously threatened by loss of habitat and poaching for their horns.

Why was international collaboration required?

• levenicel-Orv
    9/29/2015 - 03:45 p.m.

i didn't know that rhinos was endangered let heplp these poor animals out these rhinos shouldent be endangered these are amazing animal even thoe they cant see well they have alot of things they can do like sharpening there horns lokkking ot for each outher and take care of there young i dont knw to many things about this amazing animal but i do know they should not be endangered

• hollynoce-bak
    9/29/2015 - 07:19 p.m.

I love story because i love rhinos.I also like babies.But rhino babies.That is awesome!

• madelinepratchios-bak
    9/29/2015 - 07:31 p.m.

this is an amazing book for people who like rhinos, like me!

• williamb-6-bar
    9/29/2015 - 07:57 p.m.

I think this is interesting that there is a extinction of rhinos. This also surprises me that a wild rhino would be sent to zoo to zoo. Endangered rhinos have to be to zoos so people will not kill them.

• colek-1-bar
    9/29/2015 - 08:02 p.m.

International collaboration was required for this rhino because they are an extremely endangered species. Even one more Sumatran rhino in the world would be a big addition to the population. I found this article very interesting. This did not surprise me because I know that the world is trying to keep these animals alive. I also figured that they will be trying to breed them as much as they can.

• John0724-YYCA
    9/29/2015 - 09:08 p.m.

I think that a lot of animals are being endangered these days because of us and I think that we are monsters to let these monsters die while we take their homes and I think we should do something about it. I am not surprised to hear that the rhinos are endangered.

• angelinat-3-bar
    9/29/2015 - 09:25 p.m.

International collaboration was required because rhinos aren't just in Africa and many countries need to participate if we want to save rhinos. The article mentions efforts to save the species, and if we want to do that then many countries need to participate. I enjoyed this article because it is devastating that so many animals are becoming endangered because of humans. I think we all need to help in these efforts to save the species. The article was surprising because, I did not realize rhinos were endangered.

• jacobd-ver
    9/30/2015 - 08:40 a.m.

I think that it is cool how they made a story on a rino and just the way that they told us about how her second calf being pregnant.

• holdenv-day
    9/30/2015 - 12:17 p.m.

I love animals and I want them to survive. It sickens me to know there are people out there who would knowingly kill animals even when they know they're on the endangered species list. Poachers don't care about the animals there killing. They only think about the money. They kill rhinos just so they can take the horns that's horrible. They are a big part of the reason species could go extinct and are most definitely the reason for most of the animals on the endangered species list. This article was a great learning tool.

• carsonl-eva