Actress tells kids that different is good Jesse Tyler Ferguson, from left, Rico Rodriguez and Ariel Winter are slimed after being announced winners of the award for favorite family TV show for Modern Family at Nickelodeon's 28th annual Kids' Choice Awards (AP photos)
Actress tells kids that different is good

The traditional green slime flowed at the Kids' Choice Awards, but it was Angelina Jolie's message of empowerment for youngsters that stuck.

Jolie has sought to inspire women with public candor about her own health. She said that "different is good" as she accepted the favorite villain award for her movie role as the title character in "Maleficent."

When she was young, Jolie said, "I was told I was different. And I felt out of place: too loud, too full of fire, never good at sitting still, never good at fitting in."

"When someone tells you that you are different, smile and hold your head up and be proud," she said. Then she added with a wink, "cause a little trouble. It's good for you."

The actress and filmmaker, who just recently disclosed that she had undergone additional surgery aimed at preventing cancer, received excited hugs from daughters Shiloh and Zahara when her name was announced.

There were other winners at the Nickelodeon channel's fan-voted awards. They included Emma Stone, who largely escaped its trademark slime when she accepted the best actress award for her role in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." And favorite family TV show "Modern Family," whose stars including Jesse Tyler Ferguson didn't get away clean.

Nick Jonas hosted the ceremony. It also honored the group Fifth Harmony as favorite new artist and Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence of "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" as favorite action stars. The film was voted favorite movie.

Jonas won as favorite male singer. He also ended up drenched in the ceremony's trademark green slime. So did Josh Gad ("Frozen," Broadway's "Book of Mormon"), who got slimed by co-presenter Adam Sandler.

Performers included Iggy Azalea with Jennifer Hudson and 5 Seconds of Summer, which ended up taking a goo hit.

Jonas opened the ceremony. He noted that One Direction was minus a group member with the exit of Zayn Malik.

"A tough week. ... Lot of girls in the house tonight still struggling after One Direction became Two Direction," he said, then asked, jokingly, "What's next? Fourth Harmony? 3 Seconds of Summer? No, no. The Jonas Brother?"

One Direction didn't appear to accept its trophy as favorite music group.

Others taking part in the ceremony included Jamie Foxx, Meghan Trainor, Chris Rock, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Kevin James and Little League baseball sensation Mo'ne Davis.

Jolie, recently writing in the New York Times, revealed that she had her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed. She hopes it will reduce her risk of cancer.

Two years ago, she disclosed that she carries a defective breast cancer gene. It puts her at high risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer. Her mother died of ovarian cancer and her maternal grandmother also had ovarian cancer. It is strong evidence of an inherited, genetic risk that led Jolie to have her healthy breasts removed to try to avoid the same fate.

Critical thinking challenge: How can different be good?

• Taryne
    4/06/2015 - 11:25 a.m.

I think " different " is good because personally I don't like being like everybody else, I am my own person. Some people may not want to be different because they don't want to stand out, or are afraid to be noticed, which is alright if they feel comfortable with it.

• hailie1237
    4/06/2015 - 11:27 a.m.

Being different is something that you shouldn't be ashamed of. Who would want to be the same as everybody in the same room? This is an inspirational story because kids need to hear this. I like that of all people Angelina Jolie decided to step up and say what needed to be said. She says "When someone tells your your different smile, and hold you head up high."

• kaylab1724
    4/06/2015 - 01:41 p.m.

I think its good that she stepped up and said that. Kids these days think you have to be like everyone else. And for the kids to her that from such a famous person, is good for them.

• kaylab1724
    4/06/2015 - 01:43 p.m.

• jolee0216volleyball
    4/06/2015 - 02:02 p.m.

I believe Angelina Jolie is a very inspiring individual and has a heart of gold. She has such a great influence on many people and encourages people to live differently and be unique. Opening up about being different and her surgery,I think is brave because many people wouldn't be brave enough to embrace the idea of having or developing cancer. As a kid, I have always loved the actress with her movies and she inspires me everyday. Angelina Jolie will always surround others with inspiration and love for all of her fans.

• Cynth13
    4/06/2015 - 02:04 p.m.

Angelina Jolie is a very inspiring person. She is a brave person for opening up to the world about her cancer. She encourages people to be different and unique. As a kid, I really enjoy watching her movies she's a really good actress. She will always be a inspiring person to her fan and if I have the chance to meet her I will.

• MaggieM-3
    4/06/2015 - 07:06 p.m.

Angelina Jolie, an award winning actress, inspired many children to embrace their differences with her acceptance speech at the Kids Choice Awards Show. The show was hosted by Nick Jonas, and the original green slime was dumped over all the celebrities. Jolie accepted the award for favorite villain in the movie "Maleficent." Angelina told the children of the world how she to once felt out of place and odd, but then spoke of how it was her differences that made her so successful. Jolie had just recently had surgery to help prevent cancer. The ceremony also honored Emma Stone, Liam Hemsworth, Jennifer Lawrence and and Jesse Tyler Ferguson among others. The young awards ceremony does not discriminate against musicians though, and Fifth Harmony, Nick Jonas, and Megan Trainor as well as others all won awards. The show also featured performances by Iggy Azalea with Jennifer Hudson and 5 Seconds of Summer.
    I think that it is very important that someone like Angelina Jolie, that has such a powerful influence on kids reminds them how important it is that they are comfortable being different and that it is a good thing. I also think that by saying this at fun and exciting event it makes children really take it seriously because it does not give them the impression that they are being lectured.

• Eric0221-YYCA
    4/06/2015 - 09:32 p.m.

I think that this is funny that whenever somebody wins the annual competition on kid's favorite show always get slimed by slime getting dunked over somebody that just won the competition including singers or film makers which is really funny if I saw that. Well if people once said that different can be good, I think that counts as getting slimed in front of everybody.

• 21mmrobi
    4/07/2015 - 12:09 p.m.

I saw this on TV and I thought this was pretty cool and that its true that you should be who you are and have fun with it.

• joshuat2015
    4/07/2015 - 12:12 p.m.

it would be good because if who have the same kids and same personality it would be boring to be with them .that is why different is good .