You'll see 2015s top color everywhere. It is Youll be seeing the color Marsala on everything, from dresses to cars (AP photos)
You'll see 2015s top color everywhere. It is

Let's hear it for Marsala, the wine-influenced, red-kissed color of 2015, as chosen by Pantone.

"Hardy, robust, satisfying, fulfilling. At the same time there's a certain glamour that's attached to this color," offered Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute.

Pantone's yearly picks can herald a marked presence of a color in fashion, beauty, housewares, home and industrial design and consumer packaging, though some years the influence is stronger than others.

The 2014 color of the year from the forecasters and industry consultants was Radiant Orchid, a deep tropical purple. The year before that it was Emerald green. Tangerine Tango had legs in 2012.

The idea, Eiseman explained, is not to choose a color that will necessarily "overtake the world." In Marsala's case, she said, the shade is complex but grounding brown-red with blue undertones for a dark blush effect.

Eiseman and her team travel the world to observe color at play. For Marsala, they see an accent wall in a living room or office, a swipe of eye shadow mixed with bronze for a metallic look, a throw pillow, the exterior of a car or a bit of jewelry evoking the 1950s. To her, there's a natural earthiness to the shade, a full-bodiedness like the cooking wine it is named for, without being overpowering.

"It really does embody a certain amount of confidence and stability," Eiseman said.

The hue isn't a risky one, whether in a nail polish, a frock on a runway, or a pattern of stripes in a men's tie or florals for table placemats or bedding.

Eiseman noted the versatile shade was among colors Pantone flagged as spring/summer trends for 2015 earlier this year, as evidenced on the runways of Herve Leger by Max Azria, Dennis Basso and Creatures of the Wind, among other designers.

As they did with Radiant Orchid, the cosmetics giant Sephora plans a limited-edition collection of beauty products based on Pantone and its latest pick, Eiseman said. Marsala has been widely used in lipstick and hair color for years.

One of the color's strengths, she said, is the ease in combining it with gray, black, beige and other neutrals.

"It's a color that you can mix with what you already own," Eiseman said. "You can add just a touch of it. That's the intent and purpose. It is not the color that swallows the world."

Critical thinking challenge: How can Marsala affect the world without swallowing it?

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    12/11/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

It's actually funny that this is even an article because Ice been subtly becoming obsessed with this color. It's good to know that I'm not the only one. It's definitely going to be cool to see my new favorite color plastered everywhere in 2015, that is until I get sick of seeing it everywhere.

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    12/11/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

I personally am not a huge fan of this new popular color, but I guess it doesn't really matter what I like; it's what the majority prefers.

• NashMcComsey-Ste
    12/11/2014 - 01:14 p.m.

Up until this point i was completely unaware that each year had it's own "Top Color". However, for this one, i like the basis behind it's selection. It is a vivid color, but meshable as well.

• CapeleyZ-1
    12/11/2014 - 07:19 p.m.

Pantone has released its annual color of the year. This years new color is marsala, old colors were some resembling purple and green. Pantones color of the year are not supposed to "take over the world" but just to be a simple color that ends up being used in everything from fashion to cars. This new color is going to Sephora as they plan a limited-edition collection of beauty products based on Marsala. I'm not one to wear lipstick and eye shadow but I if I was I would defiantly buy this when it comes to Sephora because it is such a pretty color!

• KiraL-1
    12/12/2014 - 01:40 a.m.

This article is about the color, Marsala becoming the top color of 2015 chosen by Pantone. This yearly color pick sets the tone for interior designers, beauty gurus, and everyone else who is looking for the latest trends. This color can be seen form cars to dresses and is describes as earthy. It can match many things and is a great color for car interior or eye shadow. In the past years, the colors have been Radiant Orchid (2014), Emerald Green (2013), and Tangerine Tango (2012). I really like this new color for 2015. It's definitely a common color in shopping stores right now and my closet is full of it.

• NickB-2
    12/12/2014 - 10:22 a.m.

This article is about 2015 Color of the year, Marsala. it has been influenced by the color of an Indian cooking wine.the color of the year is chosen by the company Pantone. Their owner, Leatrice Eisemann, says that she likes this color because it has a robust, satisfying, filling color. It has many different deep undertones. personally, I like this color. I think it looks very good on the picture of the car above.

• DD2000BASEBALL
    12/12/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

This color will be a very vibrant shade. It will be used for nail polish, paint, and car colors. It isn't a risky color so it's going to be a good color.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    12/15/2014 - 06:11 p.m.

Marsala is a really pretty color. I like how it could go well with any hair color if you were to wear it as the color of your shirt. I can imagine it becoming very popular, fitting right in with the neutral colors some teens and adults seem to lean towards.

• Amare'C1503
    12/16/2014 - 03:08 p.m.

My opinion the color looks nice but is still red because all they are doing is mixing red with different colors not too much but just enough to make a new color and a new name

• BJMiosotis-Cas
    12/16/2014 - 04:39 p.m.

I love this color! It's absolutely perfect! I love the color red, not a bright red or a dark red, but one that is just right and this is it! Ha-ha my new favorite color!