Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog? Hot Doug's customers wait in a line that leads down the block (AP photos)
Would you wait in a line all night for a hot dog?

Chicago's hippest hot dog stand helped turn the lowly sausage into a culinary superstar. Customers could order hot dogs stuffed with exotic ingredients. Like rattlesnake.

So when the owner announced the gourmet shop was closing, everyone expected hot dog fans to line up for one last taste.

But no one could have predicted what happened. Customers brought lawn chairs, card tables and poker chips to help pass the wait of up to eight hours. A spot in line popped up on Craigslist for $300.

As Hot Doug's prepares to close Friday, the line outside Doug Sohn's "sausage superstore" has become as big a sensation as the stand itself.

Christopher Sanders and his buddy David Kudla became Wednesday's first customers at 12:45 a.m., unfolding lawn chairs to wait for the doors to open at 10:30 a.m.

Sanders, 29, had never been to Doug's before put off, by all things, by the sight of constant but shorter lines.

"I've driven past it, seen the lines and said, 'I'm not waiting that long, it's crazy.'" But, he said, "I will never get a chance to do it ever again."

Sergio Deleon, who arrived at 3 a.m., knew that if he was not in his college classroom by 11, it could cost him a full grade in class.

"Gonna be worth it," said the 24-year-old Deleon, though he had a plan for salvaging an A, by purchasing a hot dog for the professor.

Bartender Dani Ploszaj thought it nice to learn the names of the other people in line, all of them.

"I was like, 'Hey, what's your name, what's your name?'" she said, pointing to the 48th, 49th and 50th people in line Michelle, Annie and Patrick.

"Now they're all my friends."

Critical thinking challenge: Hot dogs are an All-American food. How does adding exotic ingredients reflect the culture of the U.S.?

• sl2000soccer
    10/07/2014 - 08:42 a.m.

I think adding exotic ingredients reflects upon the culture of the U.S because It shows that being different is a hit and that these things are not very easy to kill and people go for those kinds of places. Places like McDonald's and other places have spread across the world because they are very big hits even without exotic ingredients but I don't think that is why I think it is because It is different from a lot of other places and it is very easy to go order a burger rather then waiting in line for hours because people don't have that much patience. But places that are different and have exotic ingredients go high on the charts because the food is hard to get as well as the food is different.

• JS2001basketball
    10/07/2014 - 08:44 a.m.

Exotic ingredients reflect the U.S based off of all the exotic flavors we put in our food like chip, salsa, and sandwiches, but we can add another one on the list which is hot dogs

• basketballstar7
    10/07/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

It would have to be a really good hot dog for me to stay in a line all night and wait for it. People who wait all night for a hotdog are crazy.

• DD2000BASEBALL
    10/07/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

Adding exotic ingredients wouldn't effect whether it is still "All-American" food or not. It is just an add-on to a hot dog. You know it is still an All-American food when somebody sells a spot on Craigslist for $300.

• basset_girl51
    10/07/2014 - 01:06 p.m.

That is ridiculous I mean who would want to wait in line that long for a hot dog sure there good but I mean come on people get a hold of yourselves. If you want a hot dog that bad then just make one at home yourself.

• ws2001wrex
    10/07/2014 - 01:08 p.m.

Adding exotic food materials in an Amercian food item shows that this country id very diverse. Its willing to put food items from a different country in to theirs to make it takes better. This culture America made for its self is amazing in how we put different cultures into our dishes. We are all different a this shows it.

• IM2000food
    10/07/2014 - 01:08 p.m.

adding exotic ingredients reflect the culture because it shows that being different is a hit. Also it shows that when people really love something they will do anything to get that thing.

• nicoleanne23
    10/07/2014 - 01:14 p.m.

I don't think I would wait all night in line for a hot dog unless it was a really really good hot dog. Stuffing it with exotic things doesn't seem like it is all that appetizing.

• icegits
    10/07/2014 - 01:57 p.m.

I think that the idea is ridiculous that people are waiting in line all day for a hot dog. even though they are exotic, I would just go somewhere else. some people are even selling their spots online, thats just crazy.

• romanj-Orv
    10/07/2014 - 04:19 p.m.

This must be a good hot dog place. if everyone is wanting to wait 8 hours in a line. this reminds me of one of the famous hot dogs place in L.A. there is always a big line and all the celebrity's go. what makes me wonder is.. how come they didn't interview customers after there purchase?