Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did. Actor James Dean is seen during a scene from the Warner Bros. 1956 epic, "Giant." The film is a story of three generations of a wealthy Texas ranching family (AP photos)
Would you pay $46,532 for jeans? Levi's did.

Tourism officials in Nevada are planning a festival in Reno next fall to celebrate the city as the birthplace of what became modern blue jeans.

Jacob Davis created riveted denim jeans in 1871 in a downtown Reno tailor shop. Two years later, he and Levi Strauss & Co. patented the pants with the rivets to the corners and pockets that made them the sturdy favorites of miners, loggers and cowboys, because they didn't wear out like regular pants.

The festival next year will be Oct. 2-4. It will celebrate the iconic trousers' impact on popular culture. Plans include concerts, fashion shows, a retail marketplace and a mini-festival of films that were milestones in the history of blue jeans, such as James Dean's "Rebel Without a Cause."

It also will include scholarly presentations on the "Jeaneology" of the pants.

"Those of us fortunate to live and work in Reno-Tahoe USA now like to brag, 'We have copper rivets in our genes,'" said Chris Baum, CEO of the Reno-Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority, using a pun.

Interest in Davis' role in the birth of jeans grew in 2001 when the San Francisco-based Levi Strauss & Co. purchased what it said was the oldest known jeans in the world. It was a pair dating back to an 1880s mining town in Nevada, which sold at auction for $46,532.

Baum became boss of the RSCVA in 2012. He said he had never heard of Reno's connection to Levi's until a resident telephoned him with the story. He started doing research to see if there was a way to use jeans to help promote the region.

He said next October's event will help fill a void in the tourism calendar just before the Sierra ski season opens and after a string of popular special events including the National Championship Air Races.

Critical thinking challenge: How is Chris Baums quote a pun?

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 08:15 a.m.

I would never pay over $100.00 dollars for a regular pair of jeans. However, if I had the money, I would definitely pay some money for an antique pair of jeans. Levi's are great jeans, and I love the idea of having a festival to celebrate them.

• SAlexander-Sti
    10/06/2014 - 10:06 a.m.

riveted denim jeans were maid in 1871 most loggers cowboys and miners used them because they dint wear-out like normal pants. In 2001 San Francisco sold a pair of jean from the 1800 Levi's paid a total of $46,532 for the jeans.

• MikaylaStazewski-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 11:53 a.m.

I would not initially pay $46,532 for jeans. However, I am sure that within my whole lifetime I would have spent somewhere near that amount overall.

• diamondj4
      10/09/2014 - 10:34 a.m.

Myaa'Johnson-Basically I wouldn't buy jeans for that price even if I was rich and I don't care how old it is. That's a waste of money that you could use to buy something else you need or want..

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    10/06/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

I personally would never even spend over $100 for a pair of jeans, let alone thousands of dollars. Some people and companies are just too materialistic for my tastes.

• CharismaM
    10/06/2014 - 01:58 p.m.

I think it's a great idea to have a festival to celebrate the so-called birthplace of modern blue jeans. Personally, I would not pay that much money for jeans even if they are the oldest jeans in the world. After reading this article, I actually want to visit this festival next year.

• MadisonSch
    10/06/2014 - 01:59 p.m.

If I had the chance to buys these pants, I wouldn't. They may be the oldest pair of jeans but how do they know that. How do they know if the jeans are not fake and made to lool real? If they were real why would you want to buy them for thousands of dollars? You're not going to wear them and are you really going to brag to your friends on a pair of jeans.

• MAnthony-Cas
    10/06/2014 - 03:28 p.m.

Basically I wouldn't buy jeans for that price even if I was rich and I don't care how old it is. That's a waste of money that you could use to buy something else you need or want. Levi's got money to spend.

• DBenjamin-Cas
    10/06/2014 - 07:08 p.m.

I think that it is insane that you would pay that much money for a pair of jeans, but it is a part of history and they can do what ever they want with it.

• TF00Music
    10/07/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

To be honest, I don't know how is quote was a pun. It might be because I'm slow. But it might be the rivets in the jeans part because I don't understand tat part very much. Sorry ;(