World's tallest cow is taller than most people Patty Hanson is all smiles as she holds onto her Holstein cow Blosom (AP photos)
World's tallest cow is taller than most people

Patty Hanson and Blosom the cow smiled as their official Guinness World Records photo was taken after the animal was recognized as the world's tallest cow, at 6-foot-4.

Hanson received an email in mid-August saying Blosom had been named the world's tallest cow. She sought the record after veterinarians and the cow's foot trimmer constantly noted the 2,000-pound animal's large size, Hanson said. At the end of May, family and friends began documenting Blosom's mass. They shot photos and videos and her official measurements were taken by a vet from Orangeville Animal Health Service.

"When I put Blosom's halter on, she knows it's time to go to work greeting people and one of the best things I love about this big cow is she makes people smile. But now when I get to tell them they are looking at the world's tallest cow, I can't wait to see their reaction," Hanson said.

Hanson got Blosom when she was a calf and eventually decided to keep her as a pet. The cow turned 13 in July.

"My dad used to chuckle at Blosom, but soon softened up to her, which is why she stayed home on the farm as an addition to the many pets she adds character," Hanson said.

Hanson said she would like to turn Blosom's story into a children's book.

"Blosom is a bit like an overgrown dog," Hanson said. "To people who have cows, they will get what I am saying but I want other people to know she is special. I told my dad years ago that Blosom was destined for stardom and with this record she has achieved that."

Blosom will be included in the 2016 edition of the "Guinness Book of World Records."

Critical thinking challenge: If Blossom becomes the subject of a childrens book, what might the story be?

• MFrancisco-Sti
    10/21/2014 - 10:10 a.m.

Is Blossom one of the biggest animal in the world or only in the one country? I would be so happy if I was able to see her. How did the people react when Hanson told them that they are looking at the biggest cow and why did they react like that?

• CStacey-Sti
    10/21/2014 - 11:29 a.m.

Wow. Well these people are taking good care or there cow. I have never hared of a cow that was 6 foot 4 and weighs 2,000 pounds!!

• MikaylaStazewski-Ste
    10/21/2014 - 01:01 p.m.

With how short I am just compared to people, I could only imagine how short the worlds tallest cow would make me feel. Or any other short person for that matter.

• BColton-Sti
    10/21/2014 - 04:11 p.m.

This is a really big cow. Cows are normally really big but this is really big like 6' 4" is huge. I could not amagine getting stepped on or anything by that cow.

• r2000soccer
    10/22/2014 - 08:43 a.m.

Maybe be the story will be like a girl have a pet cow she always care about cow she say to people my cow is world tallest cow but nobody believe her people laugh and ignore here then Guinness world record come and give her prize for world tallest cow then every one shock

• MJade-Sti
    10/22/2014 - 10:20 a.m.

Wow! that would be pretty cool having an over grown cow as a pet. I wish my cow Bessy was 6 feet 4. My cow is really small. But this cow his huge. And holds the record.

• Elizad-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 10:24 a.m.

Wow, a cow that big is insane. I've always wanted a cow, and how cool would it be to have a cow that big. My brother is as tall as the cow, but it looks natural on a human, I can't even picture a cow being six feet and four inches tall, and two thousand pounds!

• Hannaha-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 11:36 a.m.

Wow!! That is a giant cow! I wonder what it would be like to stand next to a cow that huge and strong! I was so surprised that it was 2,000 pounds because most horses are only a little over 1,000 pounds. I wonder how she would keep something that huge and strong as a pet? I also wonder how much food it eats per year!

• Shanea-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 11:38 a.m.

This is a huge cow. I always have seen cows as larger animals but not six feet four inches. I used to have cows and I enjoyed raising them but they always went the butcher. I think it was a really smart choice to keep blossom on the farm. Because of the decision the family is now profiting from the oversized cow.

• Chelseal-Lam
    10/22/2014 - 11:48 a.m.

This article is unbelievable! I never knew that a cow could be 6 feet tall and 2,000 pounds. While most people would think that is crazy, I think the cow is cute, even though its 2,000 pounds. I almost believe that they gave the cow growth hormones, but you never know...