What's in a name? A free, round-the-world trip! Jordan Axani with his girlfriend, before they broke up (Instagram / Thinkstock)
What's in a name? A free, round-the-world trip!

A Toronto man who made headlines last month by offering a free round-the-world air ticket to a woman with the same name as his ex-girlfriend has found Ms. Right.

Jordan Axani, 28, and his then girlfriend, named Elizabeth Gallagher, booked heavily discounted round-the-world air tickets in May, but their relationship ended and he didn't want her ticket to go to waste. The ticket had a strict no-transfer policy, but since passport information was not required when booking, it can be used by any Canadian named Elizabeth Gallagher.

Axani posted his offer last month on the Reddit social media website, and received thousands of emails, including 18 from actual Elizabeth Gallaghers with Canadian passports.

He's chosen his travel mate, Elizabeth Quinn Gallagher, a 23-year-old student and part-time office administrator from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.

"It's strictly a platonic trip. It's going to be great," Axani said.

At first the new Elizabeth Gallagher thought a trip with a stranger whose ex-girlfriend's name is the same as hers was "crazy" but she hit it off with Axani after talking on the phone with him for hours.

"It definitely did seem a little bit creepy at the beginning but now that I talked to him it's less creepy and more awesome," she said.

She already has a boyfriend.

"This is totally sort of like as friends," she said. "I have a pretty serious boyfriend. We've been together for a while. We're planning on buying a house and we have a puppy, so yeah, I'm not really looking for anything at all."

She acknowledged her boyfriend isn't thrilled.

"He understands that I've always wanted to travel so while he's not happy I'm taking off for nearly a month at Christmas with a random guy he's smiling through it," she said.

Axani, who works for an international real estate development and advisory firm, said the tickets were purchased for a couple of thousand dollars, but their cash value today is around Canadian $5,000-$7,000 (US $4,400-$6,200).

The trip is scheduled to start in New York City and continue on to Milan, Prague, Paris, Bangkok and New Delhi before ending in Toronto on Jan. 12. Axani said that after the breakup, he deferred all other planning for the trip, such as making hotel reservations.

But since the story became public, Marriott International offered to put him and the new Elizabeth Gallagher up, in separate rooms, during their trip.

Axani said the trip will be documented and shared online. He said that he was so moved by some of the emails including one from an 8-year-old boy who said he was going blind and wanted to see the world before that happens that he and his brother created an organization called A Ticket Forward to help people who desire to see the world but lack the finances to do so.

Critical thinking challenge: Jordan had a problem. Other people helped him solve his problem. Now Jordan is helping others. Explain the connection.

• ShaniaWentz-Ste
    1/14/2015 - 09:21 a.m.

Not only is this cute, but it is also kind of strange. First off, why wouldn't he give the ticket to one of his family members or friends? Also, why would anyone accept a ticket from a stranger? I just find this whole story a little out of the ordinary.

• jordant-Koc
    1/14/2015 - 11:06 a.m.

No matter how bad I wanted to travel the world, I would never do it that way! Miss Emily is a very lucky girl that nothing bad happened to her, along with Jordan, she could have been crazy for all he knew! I would have tried to take the 8 year old boy:/ but I'm assuming his name was not Emily lol.

• TaylorHartman-Ste
    1/14/2015 - 01:25 p.m.

I find this article very strange for several reasons. I would feel so awkward to be the new girlfriend if my boyfriend only noticed me because of my name. It is weird that he also offered a plane trip with someone he barely even knew.

• nickb-Lam
    1/14/2015 - 05:25 p.m.

I think this article is very interesting because the customer of the ticket is really brave to meet some random person and be willing to travel the world with her. I'm not sure if I would even call some random person just because they have the same name as a person I dated. This can cause some weird crimes considering people can steal their identity if they are that desperate to fly around the world.

• brianat-Lam
    1/14/2015 - 05:40 p.m.

I though this article was sweet because Jordan wanted to take the girl with the same last name as his ex girlfriend's. Just because he didn't want to waste a ticket. :)

• jamieu-Lam
    1/14/2015 - 05:54 p.m.

I wouldn't go around the world with some stranger. Even if they seem nice over the phone, I still wouldn't go with them. I also wouldn't go if my boyfriend wasn't happy with it. I would want to make sure he was fine with me going but if he wasn't then that's ok! There are many bad people in the world and I would want to protect myself. What I would find creepy about it though is having the same name as his ex-girlfriend and wanting to take her around the world with you.

• Julian10
    1/15/2015 - 12:57 p.m.

This story is about a man who had purchased 2 tickets to travel the world with his girlfriend and him. The man and his girlfriend had split before taking the trip, but then he had found someone else to go with him. The person that was going with him actually has the same name as his ex girlfriend because he couldn't change the identification info on the tickets. So that meant he had to find someone to go with him that had the same first and last name of his ex. He had eventually found someone by the same name and the other person and him had gone on the trip just as friends. The trip started on christmas day and didn't end till January 12 2015. The destinations were New York, Milan, Prague, Paris, Bangkok, New Delhi and the ending back in Toronto.

• JuvenileJellyfish
    1/15/2015 - 02:03 p.m.

This is a pretty good but weird story. It's good because it's cool that this random girl gets to go around the world just because of her name, I wish that I could get a bunch of money because of my name. Anyways it's a weird story because I wouldn't want my girlfriend to go on a trip around the world with some stranger.

• Brexa
    1/15/2015 - 02:15 p.m.

The connection is that Jordan's problem lead him to learn about things he could do to help people, and after he fixed his problem, he had that opportunity.

• odalysr-Lam
    1/15/2015 - 03:57 p.m.

She's very lucky her name was the same as his ex! I would love to go on a trip like that, even though it would be a little awkward!