What if your playground was made of ice? An Qui Feng of Harbin, China cuts away at an ice block while working on a sculpture for this year's Ice Alaska Ice Park in Fairbanks, Alaska (AP photos)
What if your playground was made of ice?

Workers are building an ice playground in a city in Alaska, including a pirate ship slide made from 65 refrigerator-sized blocks of ice, and even mazes.

The work began at the George Horner Ice Park in Fairbanks ahead of the annual world ice sculpture championships, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported.

A giant ice lens also is planned, according to ice championships chairman Dick Brickley. It will be 12 feet in diameter and powerful enough to focus the sun's rays and start a fire, he said.

The ice is so clear, the rays go right through it, and one small telescope in the past started a fire on a piece of plywood, Brickley said.

Another new attraction this year is an experimental sculpture that will be carved on land, then displayed underwater.

Its kind of a neat new concept, Brickley said. We make it so the public can walk out over the ice and see the carving under the water.

The attractions must be completed by the time the park opens Feb. 23. That's when teams of artists participating in the 2015 BP World Ice Art championships begin making sculptures.

The ice being harvested this year is crystal-clear aqua blue, Brickley said. This winter has been warmer and there's been less snow than usual, which is actually good for ice formation, he said. Snow can shield ice from cold air.

A new piece of ice art that's scheduled to go up will feature a sculpture of Gov. Bill Walker and Lt. Gov. Byron Mallott.

On Feb. 23, teams of artists begin making their single-block and multi-block sculptures for the competition part of the event. The competitive single-block and multi-block ice carving events will feature artists from 16 countries.

So far this year crews have harvested about 188 of the 1,000 ice blocks they needed for the park. The ice is 22 inches thick, which is a good depth for ice park construction.

The clear aqua blue ice is a big attraction, though.

"Thats why these artists pay all that money to come in here and carve it, Brickley said.

Critical thinking challenge: CTC: What's so special about the ice being harvested? How is it different from ice in your refrigerator at home?

• jordant-Koc
    1/26/2015 - 01:38 p.m.

This sounds really cool! Yet, does not sound enjoyable. I wouldn't want to freeze my butt off more then i already had to going outside during cold conditions. Although, I think it would be something cool to look at and visit for the city! I guess little kids wouldn't really care about getting cold, they would just want to play!

• Ashlynn1048
    1/26/2015 - 01:51 p.m.

I think it's really cool how they are utilizing the ice to make a park. I would love to visit the ice park and see all of the sculptures! But I probably won't be able to do that for a while and by then the ice playground might have melted, but the concept is very cool!

• nickb-Lam
      1/26/2015 - 03:54 p.m.

I agree with this, but I would not play on the playground. It would be very slippery, and I would probably fall. This would be fun to look at for he time being, but then it would melt in the end. That's the only negative factor about this amazing, and wonderful nature.

• deondrei-Lam
      1/26/2015 - 04:02 p.m.

I thinks it's cool, too. I think you would have to be really careful not to slip and fall on the stairs. And your butt would get wet going down the slide.

• dominicd-Lam
      1/26/2015 - 04:03 p.m.

I think it is very cool. LOL A person could fall and break his head which could end in a big hospital bill. In the end the person at the ice park could lose everything

• alexcl-Lam
      1/26/2015 - 04:05 p.m.

I think this concept is a good idea, but what if the ice melts, or what if someone bumps it and accidentally breaks it and it falls on someone and they get injured?

• Brexa
    1/26/2015 - 02:07 p.m.

This particular kind of ice is a clear aqua blue color and is larger to make it easier to carve. The coloration makes it easier to see through.

• BrigitteA-3
    1/26/2015 - 02:18 p.m.

In Alaska, a playground made entirely out of ice is currently being built. The ice has been harvested and is seen as a clear aqua blue. An underwater playground in Alaska is also being carved out, so that visitors can walk out onto the ice and see the beautiful display. I think that it would be a lot of fun to be able to play on a newly built playground made out of ice.

• nickb-Lam
    1/26/2015 - 03:51 p.m.

I think the ice sculpture is a very interesting topic to read about. This event is wonderful because the state can earn a lot of money from the visitors as well as the people participating in it. Many other events around the world can help boost the economy as well, but not all of them would be as fun to watch.

• dominicd-Lam
    1/26/2015 - 03:51 p.m.

I think that this ice park will be really cool, but I think that this could also be dangerous because you could fall, you could crack your head, or break a bone.