What happens when you get a concussion? (Thinkstock)
What happens when you get a concussion?

You asked us, "What happens when you get a concussion?"

Well, our brains may be the consistency of Jell-O, but luckily, encased in bone, wrapped in membranes and floating in fluid, they're also one of the best-protected organs in our body, until we get whacked on the head or violently tossed around.

Then those delicate brains can end up bumping and twisting around in our skulls, and one result might be a concussion, a traumatic injury that at least temporarily alters the way our brains work.

That's because nerve cells can get stretched, affecting their ability to send and receive messages to and from the rest of the body.

And those protective membranes surrounding our brains? Well, they can tear, letting toxic substances leak into brain tissue, causing cell death.

Like any other bruised flesh, the brain might also swell during a concussion.

And without a whole lot of room to expand, it can end up pressing against the skull, causing even more damage.

Multiple concussions add up over time, leading to problems with memory loss, depression and even dementia.

So today's lesson? Be careful with your Jell-O brain.

Mmmm ... Brains! Brains!

Why does bruised flesh swell?

• thomasm-day
    10/02/2015 - 08:56 a.m.

Concussions are very common in many different sports and situations. In many contact sports like football it can deal out many concussions. I have gotten a concussion before and it is hard to focus and pay attention. Our brain is a very soft and jello like substance so together we have to find better ways to help protect our cranium.

• benjaminc-day
    10/02/2015 - 12:19 p.m.

Concussions are a big deal now especially in sports. For years, athletes played with concussions and no one even thought twice about it. Now that we have advanced medical staffs and research, we know that multiple concussions can lead to severe ailments later in life. Many former NFL players that have been tested were found to have had Alzheimers, depression, and CTE which is a severe brain disease. With further research we can learn how to prevent concussions and treat them correctly to help save our youth.

• matthewc-day
    10/02/2015 - 05:09 p.m.

Being an athlete in a contact sport, I am constantly at risk for a concussion. I have always been warned about them and have always been pushed to take all the safety precautions I could to avoid them. I never realized what really happens to the brain when a concussion happens. As far as I knew, the brain bruised and that was it. But reading this article makes concussions even scarier and has made me reconsider my stand on concussions. This article has made me realize how harmful they really are and I will do everything I can to avoid them.

• brandons-day
    10/02/2015 - 10:02 p.m.

I didn't know that our brains were basically jello. I also didn't know that they were one of the most protected organs in our body. Its also very interesting to see how many layers it is protected by. Overall I didn't know the ins and outs of concussions and how it affects you in the short and long run.

• tylers-day
    10/02/2015 - 10:28 p.m.

That's very interesting. I never knew that your Brain was actually the consistency of Jell-O. I didn't know that when you get a concussion, your Brain swells. That's very scary and definitely makes me wanna be a lot more careful when playing some sports.

• derekh-day
    10/02/2015 - 10:34 p.m.

Multiple concussions really do screw up someone. My girlfriend suffers from depression and the concussions she's had have contributed to it especially since she had her fourth one back in April. She complains constantly about headaches and has minor memory issues. It sucks to witness the (negative) change in someone caused by these injuries, and I am convinced that this is the worst injury out there (and I've torn my ACL twice). I hope they are working on improving treatment and concussion prevention. It breaks my heart to see this happen to anyone.

• faithg-1-gau
    10/05/2015 - 11:10 a.m.

Bruised flesh swells because when you bruise something it damages your cells and can cause them to expand. Then it just hurts. In a concussion the brain cells may possibly expand.

• davidd-4-bar
    10/05/2015 - 09:01 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because the tissue is collecting blood . Something interesting I learned is that your brain is the most protected organ in your body

• tiffy-gau
    10/05/2015 - 10:54 p.m.

Bruised flesh swells because it has been impacted by something and is not used to it. It is reacting to being hurt.

• sammiea-gau
    10/06/2015 - 04:30 p.m.

this article was very interesting in the respect that most people have no idea of what happens when u get a concusion