What could you sculpt from snow? Dave Andrews works on his team's snow sculpture entitled "“The Doormaster,” depicting an an old man controlling worm holes ,Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016 in Lake Geneva, Wisc. (AP Photo/Carrie Antlfinger)
What could you sculpt from snow?

Fifteen teams of snow sculptors from 11 states gathered in Wisconsin to compete to be named the best in the nation.

The U.S. National Snow Sculpting Championship went on for three days in February along Geneva Lake.

The Wisconsin team that won with "Arbor Amor" depicting two intertwined trees last year has split into two, and they competed against each other this year.

The teams receive a cylinder block of snow eight feet in diameter and nine feet high. They can use only saws, axes, files, scaffolding, shovels and other homemade implements.

They are judged on creativity, technique and message and the winner gets a trophy and an invite to an international snow sculpting competition.

Why are the participants limited to certain tools?

• TehyaWhite-Ste
    2/15/2016 - 12:01 p.m.

I am so bad at creating things from snow that my snow angels can't be recognized! I think it is so amazing that these people are so creative and have such big imaginations because although I could never do something like this myself, I really enjoy looking at them!

• ryanb5-pla
    2/16/2016 - 08:51 a.m.

the basic idea of this story is that 15 teams from 11 different states came to Wisconsin to sculpt snow. This connects to me because I live in Wisconsin and there is a lot of snow in Wisconsin and I have sculpted many things.

• ShawnaWeiser-Ste
    2/16/2016 - 01:46 p.m.

I think this is really cool. I can't even make a good snowman let alone a tree out of snow. This reminds me of when I went to the beach over the summer. There was a man sculpting angels in the sand.

• erikal-pel
    2/18/2016 - 11:34 a.m.

So that they do not use tools that could mess up the snow so much.

• depreistm5-pla
    2/19/2016 - 07:29 p.m.

This article is about Fifteen teams of snow sculptors from 11 states gathering in Wisconsin to compete to be named the best in the nation.The wisconsin team that won last year has split into two and they competed against eachother this year.Each team can use only saws, axes, files, scaffolding, shovels and other homemade implements.I think the participants are limited to certain tools for one of two reasons,either certain tools or a certain number of tools being used at once could be very dangerous,or there are certain tools that could be used as an unfair advantage over other teams when used.This article relates to me because it takes place in the state i currently live in,Wisconsin.

• spencerp5-pla
    2/21/2016 - 07:18 p.m.

15 teams met along Geneva lake to have an ice sculpting competition. They're only allowed to use saws, axes, files, scaffolding, shovels and other homemade instruments. This is related to me because I've never been able to make a good snowman.

• TaylorSeifert-Ste
    3/06/2016 - 04:14 p.m.

There should be more winter events like this. Being able to check out the beautiful creations others have made from a block of snow would lift a person's spirit, during a season where many people seem to be down about life.

• trishtinb1-pay
    3/28/2016 - 09:07 a.m.

They are only limited to a certain amount of tools because if they cheat and use larger tools there are those that might be skilled with while others aren't.